HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 10:55 AM

This is also what I've been thinking. Where are all those high income demographics in downtown? Sure it could use updating but the target is what?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't know why they are continuing to push such large retail slots in projects like this. that canyon is a perfect spot for a marketplace of many smaller vendors. no one that can afford to rent those storefronts is going to rent a storefront down there. who is going to rent a luxury storefront in south downtown at this point, and under the street where signage isn't visible? they'll stay empty and unsafe until the neighborhood has gentrified. it doesn't seem right to me.
Perfect location for a bar. I don’t see retail going down there- definetely a night spot

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
This is also what I've been thinking. Where are all those high income demographics in downtown? Sure it could use updating but the target is what?
I think the developers got the idea from the movie ‘field of dreams’.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Perfect location for a bar.
Hooker bars, reefer joints and strip clubs! In other words, a sin zone. Perfect for nearby convention hotels. Georgia State students could find part-time work. Forget retail except for some curb markets to serve Marta transfer commuters. The model is Hamburg's Reeperbahn.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:20 PM

Yeah, it makes too much sense - I know.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 7:02 PM

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, Bryantm3. But today on Twitter, CBender posted preliminary plans and renderings for the adjoining lots-- 2 hotels, office, 2 residential buildings... CIM Group. Looks great and will connect Castleberry Hill with historic Hotel Row and new Hard Rock hotel development.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 7:48 PM

Link to my Flickr page for CIM Gulch previews:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/165366963@N02/985Gw6

source: twitter cbenderatl

Last edited by GlobalResNativAtlant; Apr 30, 2019 at 8:04 PM. Reason: image posting issues

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 8:35 PM

Now we’re talking!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't know why they are continuing to push such large retail slots in projects like this. that canyon is a perfect spot for a marketplace of many smaller vendors. no one that can afford to rent those storefronts is going to rent a storefront down there. who is going to rent a luxury storefront in south downtown at this point, and under the street where signage isn't visible? they'll stay empty and unsafe until the neighborhood has gentrified. it doesn't seem right to me.
Well I guess we're going to find out.

Usually the larger spaces can be sub-divided. Also these shouldn't be terribly expensive considering that they don't have to build any parking for the development.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalResNativAtlant View Post

Link to my Flickr page for CIM Gulch previews:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/165366963@N02/985Gw6

source: twitter cbenderatl
Reposted your pics for ya. I pray these are actual future renderings and not discarded draw-ups that aren't happening!

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 2:13 PM

Those renderings are from proposals CIM / Stream had solicited for the site from architectural firms. I know a few groups had put forth proposals. I wouldn't hold your breath on this, at least seeing the site developed in this iteration, as the massing and design looks very aspirational considering current costs of construction and market forces. That isn't to imply it couldn't happen, as I'm not privy to any internal information.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Those renderings are from proposals CIM / Stream had solicited for the site from architectural firms. I know a few groups had put forth proposals. I wouldn't hold your breath on this, at least seeing the site developed in this iteration, as the massing and design looks very aspirational considering current costs of construction and market forces. That isn't to imply it couldn't happen, as I'm not privy to any internal information.
I know an architect who is working on the Gultch project as we speak, but they cannot provide any information.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Those renderings are from proposals CIM / Stream had solicited for the site from architectural firms. I know a few groups had put forth proposals. I wouldn't hold your breath on this,
That's kind of what I figured/feared, due to the way these were dug up.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
That's what I assumed these were. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:07 PM

Here's another redevelopment that will be a part of South downtown's revitalization. I'm assuming this not one of Newport's properties.

Big Citizen’s Darren Carr Shares A Few More Details For Yet-To-Be-Named Downtown Bar

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:20 PM

^Beyond frustrating that they continue to completely block sidewalks for construction/renovation across the city, without closing off a traffic lane for pedestrians (as required by city code).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Here's another redevelopment that will be a part of South downtown's revitalization. I'm assuming this not one of Newport's properties.

Big Citizen’s Darren Carr Shares A Few More Details For Yet-To-Be-Named Downtown Bar
It's great to see a resurgence in this part of Downtown Atlanta. This area (Mitchell, Spring, Broad, Forsyth) used to be a lot more vibrant commercially in the late 80s thru early 2000s when I worked there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

That property is owned by Newport.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmr298 View Post
That property is owned by Newport.
Thanks. I didn't have the chance to look into earlier. Great to see them getting good local tenants.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 6:00 PM

So is this the first confirmed permanent tenant? And they plan to open later this year! Very exciting!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta