HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Based on the curbed article, they're going to be fundraising the money...probably hoping to get a lot from the rich Buckhead tycoons.

Still, it looks mediocre and half assed.
completely agree. hopefully said tycoons will push back on the design and insist for it to be done properly.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
This honestly looks like garbage. They really need to cap the whole thing than do this half-ass project. I know there's some increased difficulty with capping it entirely, but this is Buckhead; I'm pretty sure they can fund and resolve whatever the issue is. From a practical standpoint, its not as if the project would be substantially more difficult if they cap the whole thing. They still will have to do years of construction over a highway, but the citizens get less than half the park and have to live with these ugly holes in their tiny park.

I know someone is going to complain about increased expenses or more hoops to jump through, but we are going to be living with this piecemeal bullshit forever; just get it right the first time and buckhead has more than enough wealth to cover it.
Agree completely. If you're going to go to the trouble of "capping" a highway, you gotta do better than this. This looks worse than I had imagined it would.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:41 PM

This is the third iteration of the design they've shared, and each one has been less appealing than the last.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:00 PM

Have they completed all phases of COP upgrades? Wasn’t there supposed to be a new music venue?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:55 PM

Rodney Cook Sr. Park

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:32 PM

Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry

The park had the first part of it's entry feature installed last week.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/reeve...882569728-_nF3

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Rodney Cook Sr. Park

whoa, i missed this post; that is going to be amazing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:29 AM

While I hope I am wrong, this feels like a park for cars and not for people.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
While I hope I am wrong, this feels like a park for cars and not for people.
I guess that cars are going to park on the grass?

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/10/1...k-construction

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:16 PM

He's talking about the Bellwood Quary park and the rendering with the cars under the white sculpture.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He's talking about the Bellwood Quary park and the rendering with the cars under the white sculpture.
Now I see. Isn't that just the entryway?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:29 PM

It's only a short walk from the beltline.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:55 PM

Lol some of you live in an alternate reality. The best city parks in the country you're able to drive through certain sections.

Golden Gate Park, Klyde Warren Park, Central Park, Zilker Park, Audobon Park, Balboa Park, etc etc etc.

Bellwood Quarry is a huge plot of land, you're gonna be able to drive in parts of it guys. Chill out.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:30 PM

It should be kept natural, IMHO.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Lol some of you live in an alternate reality. The best city parks in the country you're able to drive through certain sections.

Golden Gate Park, Klyde Warren Park, Central Park, Zilker Park, Audobon Park, Balboa Park, etc etc etc.

Bellwood Quarry is a huge plot of land, you're gonna be able to drive in parts of it guys. Chill out.
Thank you. What a ridiculous statement.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:43 PM

Y’all make a lot of leaping assumptions, including suggesting I have an issue with any automobile accessing any part of the park. Y’all made that mental leap yourselves.

Let’s answer a question. How many people live walking distance to the western edge of the quarry once the park is built out?

Getting to and experiencing the park in general seem designed to require an automobile. Feels as if it is designed to look pretty from an overhead view and not the most navigable on foot.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Y’all make a lot of leaping assumptions, including suggesting I have an issue with any automobile accessing any part of the park. Y’all made that mental leap yourselves.

Let’s answer a question. How many people live walking distance to the western edge of the quarry once the park is built out?

Getting to and experiencing the park in general seem designed to require an automobile. Feels as if it is designed to look pretty from an overhead view and not the most navigable on foot.
In looking at this diagram, I see 2 pedestrian entrances from the North, 2 from the West, and several from the South where that mixed use project is planned. There are none on the East side- which makes sense, since there is an active rail line there that can't easily be crossed. Someday a bridge can be built over that.

Piedmont park is mostly accessible from the West and South with only a few entrances on the East and North. Does not seem to impact the usability of that park. Since this is a low density part of town that will grow and densify in the future, it makes sense to me they have automobile access to the park now. Like Piedmont Park, Grant Park, and other parks around the country, when density and accessibility around the park grow, the automobile driveways can be closed to cars and they can be left to pedestrians to navigate.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
In looking at this diagram, I see 2 pedestrian entrances from the North, 2 from the West, and several from the South where that mixed use project is planned. There are none on the East side- which makes sense, since there is an active rail line there that can't easily be crossed. Someday a bridge can be built over that.

Piedmont park is mostly accessible from the West and South with only a few entrances on the East and North. Does not seem to impact the usability of that park. Since this is a low density part of town that will grow and densify in the future, it makes sense to me they have automobile access to the park now. Like Piedmont Park, Grant Park, and other parks around the country, when density and accessibility around the park grow, the automobile driveways can be closed to cars and they can be left to pedestrians to navigate.
Thank you! Completely serious, I appreciate the logical response.

When my mind looks at the twisting/twirling trails, such as the “6” to the west of the quarry, I just hope people are able to access that without having to divert completely away from the destinations by following the trails. From how I perceive the rendering, seems arduous to get between sections of the park.

I’m sure it’ll make more sense once able to walk it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Let’s answer a question. How many people live walking distance to the western edge of the quarry once the park is built out?.
A lot. You got West Highlands right there. New houses are being built every month and they still have hundreds more to go.

Ashton Woods is planning a few hundred townhomes across the entrance of the park. Wood Partners is building a mixed use with a few hundred apartments on the NE side. Quarry Yards to the South. Existing homes all over. I don’t think you’re informed on the latest on this part of town.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Completely serious, I appreciate the logical response.

When my mind looks at the twisting/twirling trails, such as the “6” to the west of the quarry, I just hope people are able to access that without having to divert completely away from the destinations by following the trails. From how I perceive the rendering, seems arduous to get between sections of the park.

I’m sure it’ll make more sense once able to walk it.
I think the landscape architects were focusing on creating more natural looking paths that relate to how the topography might go around a deep pond in the Piedmont region. I think the overall design is deferential to the quarry, and I like that. The circulation parameters will change too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta