HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:37 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Krobar is there and always busy! Great to grab a glass of wine and some groceries.
Great to hear...so KroBar it shall remain! The first and best moniker....

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Krobar is there and always busy! Great to grab a glass of wine and some groceries.
Such a relief!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:34 AM

which krobar was the original one - lindbergh or east atl? seems like they both came into being around the same time

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
which krobar was the original one - lindbergh or east atl? seems like they both came into being around the same time
IIRC East Atlanta was a few months ahead of Lindbergh.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:11 PM

According to ARC data the city has added 39,500 housing units since 2010 and set a new record each of the last two years for total construction permits issued.

That's probably not a surprise to anyone here but seeing those kind of numbers is really exciting. The city is changing right before our eyes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
According to ARC data the city has added 39,500 housing units since 2010 and set a new record each of the last two years for total construction permits issued.

That's probably not a surprise to anyone here but seeing those kind of numbers is really exciting. The city is changing right before our eyes.
One thing I notice is that the census estimted higher growth earlier in the decade while ARC's numbers estimated low growth earlier in the decade....I wonder who will be right?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
One thing I notice is that the census estimted higher growth earlier in the decade while ARC's numbers estimated low growth earlier in the decade....I wonder who will be right?

The census estimates aren't necessarily a good measure of annual growth. For instance, if they feel that numbers were too high (or too low) in prior years, then they can simply correct it in later estimates up until the actual census count. The census estimates for Savannah show a similar pattern.

The ARC numbers tend to be more conservative so I feel confident that the city has grown at least as much as their estimates.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:59 PM

Sidewalk cafes get green light

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Quote:
Sidewalk cafes, which have become popular in many cities, are coming to the city of Atlanta.

The Atlanta City Council unanimously passed an ordinance Monday that sets regulations governing the establishment of outdoor dining areas on sidewalks in the public right of way. The main point of the regulations is to make sure sidewalk cafes leave enough room for pedestrians.

Supporters of the ordinance say sidewalk cafes add character to city streetscapes and encourage pedestrian activity.

"If we want a city where our street life matches our skyline, we must design and activate public space with people in mind," said Councilman Amir Farokhi, who introduced the ordinance. "Sidewalk dining is a characteristic of great cities across the world. Nothing brings people together like food."

Patrons currently can eat and drink outside on restaurants' private property in Atlanta. What will be different about the new ordinance is the move into publicly owned space.

Under the ordinance, eating and drinking establishments wishing to maintain sidewalk dining areas must get a permit from the city's Department of Public Works. Applicants must pay a $250 application fee as well as annual fees of $500 for up to 250 square feet of space in the public right of way, $750 for a space of 251 to 500 square feet of sidewalk and $1,000 for a space of 501 square feet and larger.

Sidewalk dining areas must maintain a minimum of five feet of pedestrian clearance and can't be within six feet of a pedestrian crosswalk, ramp, fire hydrant or other fire connection, or within 15 feet of transit stops or shelters. Also, the exit pathway from the door of the business must be at least five feet wide and in a straight line from the door.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 12, 2019 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:30 PM

Atlanta E-Scooter survey

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 12:13 AM

Fulton panel turns down Buckhead developer seeking incentive

https://saportareport.com/fulton-pan...ing-incentive/
Quote:
The members of a Fulton County board that reviews economic development incentives turned down the developers of a would-be Buckhead office building. It's the first time this year that a proposal has made it as far as the board and gotten turned down.

The owners of a parking lot at 359 East Paces Ferry Road were seeking a property tax abatement that would have been worth $2.2 million over 10 years on a proposed 12-story office building.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:42 AM

I found some data on the student housing boom. It does seem that we are adding more student housing than most places right now but there are reasons why.

The national norm for purpose-built student housing per enrollment is 18.5%. The bed-to-student ratio at Georgia State is 14.5% and 15.7% for Georgia Tech. Tech has also led the nation in enrollment growth since 2014 among schools between 20,000 and 30,000 enrollment.

Tech added The Standard and Theory
GSU added The Mix and Aspen Heights

https://www.realpage.com/analytics/s...ersities-2019/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 1:57 PM

Thanks for sharing that article and statistics @smArTaLlone. The only problem I would have with this analysis is that these units aren't built in a vacuum, so I would be curious what that off-campus bed-to-student-ratio includes - only Class A purpose built student housing or does it include other shadow market supply which can be hard to quantify? Additionally, the amount of on-campus beds, their quality, and their pricing plays an important role in quantifying the demand for off-campus housing.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 3:53 PM

Atlanta Arts & Entertainment District

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:01 AM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:28 PM

Midtown transportation improvements favor alternates to cars

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Quote:
Midtown’s rapid growth can be seen in the growing number of cranes that dot the skyline and the increasingly numbers of cars, bikes, scooters and people that fill its streets and sidewalks. It’s also changing how city leaders think about getting those people in, around and out of the district.

“We need to really build out our public transportation infrastructure to accommodate this growth through ways that we haven't in the past,” said Dan Hourigan, Midtown Alliance’s director of transportation and sustainability. “That means more transit options, safe places for people to ride bikes and walk and ride scooters. It really means creating a true multimodal network that's connected and safe.”

Along with its more than 17,000 full-time residents, Midtown draws more than 82,000 workers every day, according to Midtown Alliance data. Both those numbers are set to grow significantly in the coming decade.

A survey last year found 96% of respondents wanted the district to make walking a high priority for future transportation investments. Transit was important for 90%, while bikes scored 79% support. Cars lagged far behind, with only 39% saying they should be a priority, down from 50% in the 2016 survey.

Cars are declining in importance. Only 60 percent of trips to Midtown are made by car now, according to an Atlanta Regional Commission survey.

A common view is that even if all the bike lanes and sidewalk improvements are made, Midtown, like the rest of the city and region, will still be car-oriented. Plans call for repurposing about 8% of the total lane miles in Midtown to “create this kind of connected and safe multimodal network,” said Hourigan. “We're preserving 92 percent of the capacity for people who choose to drive to Midtown.”

Improvements include new traffic signals at several intersections and enhanced pedestrian crossings at others. Among these projects, Juniper Street and Piedmont Avenue will get the “complete streets” makeover as part of an ongoing initiative to transform city thoroughfares into safer roads for all users.

Plans include wider sidewalks, street trees, pedestrian‐scaled lighting, trash/recycling receptacles and a network of stormwater planters.

The Juniper Complete Street Project spans 12 blocks between 14th Street and Ponce de Leon Avenue. The project would create a bikeway and improved pedestrian amenities and also slow down traffic moving through the area.

The West Peachtree and Spring Street Complete Street Projects will still be one-way streets, but a travel lane and several on-street parking spaces will be converted into a protected one-way bike lane.

The city also has identified 20 one-way streets, including MLK and Mitchell, that may be converted to two-way traffic, and speed limits also likely will be reduced.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:32 AM

Meanwhile streets in Atlanta are falling apart even worse. You need me a Gwinnettian to drive in and tell you that. What gets all those ATL property taxes? Admittedly I'm over 65, but taxes on my $350k Gwinnett house are $820/year and our roads are in much better shape than yours although our traffic signals are just as ill-timed.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Meanwhile streets in Atlanta are falling apart even worse. You need me a Gwinnettian to drive in and tell you that. What gets all those ATL property taxes? Admittedly I'm over 65, but taxes on my $350k Gwinnett house are $820/year and our roads are in much better shape than yours although our traffic signals are just as ill-timed.
I might not agree with your motives in this post, but I have to ask...how the hell are your taxes only $820?? I assume that your age helps lower the rate, but still...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:43 AM

I would ask, why are yours so high? It helps that I live in "unincorporated" Gwinnett. I know folks in Atlanta who pay ten times more for houses that are basically same as mine albeit in a more desirable location.
And my motives are pure. I really do like Atlanta except for the corruption. It's true in all big cities and always been the case.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I would ask, why are yours so high? It helps that I live in "unincorporated" Gwinnett. I know folks in Atlanta who pay ten times more for houses that are basically same as mine albeit in a more desirable location.
And my motives are pure. I really do like Atlanta except for the corruption. It's true in all big cities and always been the case.
If you were 35 years old would your taxes be $820?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:19 PM

In that case $2200 but still a fraction of Atlanta's millage rate, yet the streets and roads condition here in Gwinnett are far better. That's my point. My benchmark is navigating surface streets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta