HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 10:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Smile NEW YORK | 2413 Third Avenue (Bronx) | 297 FT | 27 FLOORS

27-Story Residential Building Breaks Ground At 2413 Third Avenue In Mott Haven, The Bronx

Quote:
RXR Realty recently celebrated the commencement of construction on 2413 Third Avenue, a 27-story residential tower in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx. Designed by CetraRuddy Architecture, the development will comprise a mix of residences, parking, and ground-floor commercial area. 2413 Third Avenue arrives as RXR Realty’s first entry into the Bronx market.

“As the South Bronx’s population grows, RXR welcomes the opportunity to meet this demand and provide accessible, smartly designed, and amenitized homes,” said Joanne Minieri, senior executive vice president and COO of development and construction at RXR Realty. “RXR is fully committed to working in partnership with the community to increase local hiring and activate the neighborhood through direct investment.”

2413 Third Avenue will house 200 rental units including 60 rent-stabilized units for middle-income households. All units are equipped with stainless steel appliances, white oak flooring, matte black iron fixtures, and subway tiling. Amenity spaces will include a fitness center, communal lounge areas, landscaped outdoor space, and a roof terrace with barbecue grills and dining area.

“The building design is rooted in the traditions of the vibrant community of Mott Haven,” said Nancy J. Ruddy and John Cetra of CetraRuddy Architecture. “A bold massing creates a sculpted presence that both engages the sky while opening up to pedestrian activity. Indoor/outdoor connectivity and integration with nature is an important element that helped form the project, creating gardens and varied outdoor spaces.”

The rendering shows a lively modern design incorporating a number of rectangular volumes composed of light colored paneling framing sleek floor-to-ceiling glass. These volumes are assembled together at various angles, and are interspersed by a core of earth-toned brick masonry, creating a striking contrast.

The commercial component will occupy a modest 721 square feet and will be divided into a separate gallery and retail business. The development will also include a parking garage designed to accommodate 81 vehicles with electric vehicle charging stations, a trending amenity among new developments in the New York City area.

This past summer, RXR and Bank of America closed on a $75.2 million construction loan to finance the development. Construction is on track to wrap by the end of 2023.
=================
NYY

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 10:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

My only gribe is these S Bronx riverfront towers really should be twice as tall...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 10:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
My only gribe is these S Bronx riverfront towers really should be twice as tall...
There's a ton of flight paths to LGA over the Bronx. They skim along the Hudson but turn over the Bronx. But I do agree, would be nice. That and Jamaica Queens.

On a side note but I think Jamaica looks great with its heavy midrise profile.

What's important though with these South Bronx developments IMO are the amount of units. Yeah they might be in the lower height range but they are packed with units. Almost like the Bronx equivalent of 85 Jay in DUMBO.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 11:38 PM

I was looking at Mott Haven on Google Streetview for fun the other day and man, that area has really exploded with some tall buildings! And here's another one. Great to see.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 11:57 PM

Yeah, the South Bronx is really going crazy with new residential highrises. And really high-end towers. What a neighborhood change from the 1970's and 1980's.

I do wish they were taller, though. There are some 400-450 ft. towers planned, but that's about it in terms of height.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 1:51 PM

Yawn. At least this will be mostly obscured by 2401.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 2:54 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/r...ction.amp.html

In the Bronx, Mott Haven Suddenly Gets a Skyline
A construction boom could bring more than 5,000 rental apartments to some 20 development projects in the neighborhood over the next couple of years.

By C. J. Hughes
Oct. 15, 2021

Quote:
A new skyline is rising in New York City, and — wait for it! — it’s in Mott Haven, the Bronx.

Once a low-profile neighborhood dominated by shops that fix flat tires, Mott Haven has sprouted a dozen residential towers, all of them rentals, with market-rate and affordable apartments in the mix.

Most of the development has occurred in Mott Haven’s southwestern corner, by the Harlem River and the bridges that lead to Manhattan, and more than 5,000 apartments spread across about 20 development projects have either recently opened, are under construction or will break ground soon, based on data from city records, developers and real estate brokerages.
Quote:
Starting in the late 1990s, city planners prodded developers to replace warehouses and auto-body shops not just with tall apartment buildings, but also with parks and riverfront walks, made possible by a series of rezoning plans under Mayors Rudolph W. Giuliani, Michael R. Bloomberg and Bill de Blasio.

The developments currently planned in Mott Haven typically offer both market-rate and affordable units, often in a 70 percent to 30 percent ratio, although all-affordable high-rises are also being built. Construction on these projects could continue over the next couple of years.
Quote:
Several of the developments belong to some of the biggest builders in New York, including Brookfield Properties, whose $950 million, river-hugging mega-development, Bankside, will open its first units by the end of the year.

While many of Mott Haven’s projects are works in progress, several have already opened, including the Arches, a two-towered rental building at 224-228 East 135th Street, with 430 apartments, from studios to two-bedrooms, whose first residents arrived in October 2020. (A small, 29-room hotel will also open on site this year.)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, the South Bronx is really going crazy with new residential highrises. And really high-end towers. What a neighborhood change from the 1970's and 1980's.

I do wish they were taller, though. There are some 400-450 ft. towers planned, but that's about it in terms of height.
Keep an eye out for Staten Island as well. The Stapleton development and its proxies (35 acres worth of development on a decommissioned Navy base).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 7:31 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Why didn’t the Bronx had any skyscrapers (150m+ buildings)? Does it have super strict air rights on buildings?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 2:04 PM

The new South Bronx skyline sort of reminds me of LIC, lots of residential towers along the riverfront. Looking in the near future for a continuous line of towers from 149th to 135th along the Harlem river (which like the East River technically not a river ). I think 500 ft. is likely to be the maximum height in this area due to the area's proximity to the airport.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 4:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Skyalign

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 3:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the entire lower bronx waterfront is redeveloping — from hunts point (former spofford, baretto park, future mnrr; to port morris (silvercup studios, etc); to these new towers around mott haven (plus rehabs like the piano factory district, irish doctors row, historic bertine blocks, green markets, etc.) and up to yankee stadium (terminal market, bronx point project, 425 concourse).

its really amazing.

but what is even much more amazing, albeit unsung, is all the housing development happening all across the rest of the bronx. i mean you can’t walk a block without seeing that. its shocking to me … in the best way. the hub and bronx la central up to boricua college is the poster example, but there is so much more than that.

i work all over the city, but mostly in the bronx for over 25yrs — and especially over the past ten yrs walking all over there i am floored every day to see this happening.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 3:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Why didn’t the Bronx had any skyscrapers (150m+ buildings)? Does it have super strict air rights on buildings?
no reason afaik — its just long standing poverty and development cycles issues.

the bronx does have a couple tall residential twin tower groups in riverview and tracey towers in the 400’ range and a bunch in the 300’ range like co-op city and more. many of those old 300’ers are huge and intimidating, if not so tall. there is also a cousin to brooklyn’s iconic williamburgh bank bldg on the concourse at fordham shopping that stands out there but isnt too tall.

and so that was about it until recently.

as for flights, i dk about the faa, but i see no reason why they cant build tall below 138st along the river. the flights up the hudson to lga can’t turn toward the airport there, its way too sharp a turn. they make their approach turns much further up around the northern bronx.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 5:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Ironically, part of the reason the NY Westchester & Boston Railway failed is because their Harlem Terminal was in the South Bronx and required a transfer to the el and subway to get to the Manhattan CBD's instead of running direct into GCT. Part of the reason they had the terminal there was because JP Morgan and other financiers were convinced the business district of Manhattan would eventually stretch all the way to the South Bronx and The Hub and they would be quite fortuitous for providing such great transportation to that district. Unfortunately for them history had other plans and the railroad's ridership from Westchester and the New Haven feeder never materialized and it heartbreakingly folded in the late 1930's with evidence of the terminal surviving as late as the 70's. Ironically, we seem to finally be seeing the kind of development here in Mott Haven that would have made such a rail connection immensely valuable. It's a fascinating story and I highly recommend reading up on the NYW&B for anyone interested in NY transportation, RR's, Bronx or anything tangentially related.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 3:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Skyalign

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction