HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1401  
Old Posted May 27, 2020, 8:37 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 760
I think, if it were hypothetically materialized out of thin air today, then it would be the third tallest in the US.

1. Freedom Tower
2. Sears Tower
3. Tribune East

But by the time Tribune East is built and those pesky NY towers open, it'll drop to fifth:

1. Freedom Tower
2. Central Park Tower
3. 111 W 57th
4. Sears Tower
5. Tribune East
     
     
  #1402  
Old Posted May 27, 2020, 8:53 PM
CrazyCres's Avatar
CrazyCres CrazyCres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Behind You
Posts: 335
It should be ¨The 1,442-foot ( 439.5-Meter ) glass-and-steel building would overtake Trump Tower as the city’s second-tallest skyscraper.¨
     
     
  #1403  
Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:14 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 49,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
But by the time Tribune East is built and those pesky NY towers open, it'll drop to fifth:
Lol. 270 Park is said to be 1,425 ft. There are other proposals, but we know that one will start rising next year. So it would look like this:

1. Freedom Tower
2. Central Park Tower
3. Sears Tower
4. 111 W 57th
5. 270 Park Ave
6. Tribune East
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #1404  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:08 AM
Chicagolover88 Chicagolover88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
It should be ¨The 1,442-foot ( 439.5-Meter ) glass-and-steel building would overtake Trump Tower as the city’s second-tallest skyscraper.¨
I thought there was another 20 feet below the road with an entrance so shouldn't that count towards the full height?
     
     
  #1405  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:44 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
I thought there was another 20 feet below the road with an entrance so shouldn't that count towards the full height?
It's not "open air", so no, It won't be counted.

If this tower had been proposed for the parking lot south of NBC, then yes because of riverwalk accessibility.
__________________
titanic1
     
     
  #1406  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:52 AM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
It's not "open air", so no, It won't be counted.

If this tower had been proposed for the parking lot south of NBC, then yes because of riverwalk accessibility.
So the final height will be 1,422 then, or did he mean an extra 20 feet beyond 1,442 (i.e. 1,462)?

Part of me still thinks they're planning to build the tallest they just want to surprise us. The Burj Khalifa was "600 meters" when it started construction
     
     
  #1407  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:54 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,107
The CTBUH article and Skyscrapercenter entry says 102 floors. Everything else says 113. Which is it?
     
     
  #1408  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:03 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
The CTBUH article and Skyscrapercenter entry says 102 floors. Everything else says 113. Which is it?
In trying to answer my own question and using the documents from plan commission presentation with https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...n_michigan.pdf

Seems like 3 sets of 3 floors for mechanical stuff and 2 more on top so 11 mechanical, 113-11 = 102.

This is a bit strange though given their own established criteria from https://cloud.ctbuh.org/CTBUH_HeightCriteria.pdf and https://www.ctbuh.org/resource/height:

Quote:
Number of Floors

Includes all above-ground floors, including the ground floor itself, and significant mezzanine floors / major mechanical plant floors, unless they have a significantly smaller floor are than the major floors below. Mechanical penthouses or plant rooms above the general roof area are not counted.Note: CTBUH floor counts may differ from other published accounts for several reasons. Examples include: It is common in some regions of the world to exclude certain floor numbers (e.g. 4, 14, 24, etc. in Hong Kong); A building’s owner/marketing team may number floors to meet its own objectives and are not based on the physical floors present in the building.
This is somewhat significant as 113 would be the most floors in the Western Hemisphere, exceeding the current leader which I believe is Willis Tower with 108. Maybe they'll update it.
     
     
  #1409  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:04 AM
Chicagolover88 Chicagolover88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
Super surprised with all the hate. I think this is amazing! The height and location of the building will really enhance the overall skyline of Chicago. It will help connect the south and northern skylines together to make it all one big skyline. One more supertall half way between this and John Hancock would be perfect. I'm glad chicago is getting another building thats about the same height as the Willis tower, so cool! I think if it was less rounded and had sharper edges like the Trump tower that I'd like it more but who knows, either way super excited about this
Yes!!! I always thought the skyline needs more towers in the 700-1000ft range in that highrise section so that John hancock cluster would feel more connected to the rest of the skyline.
     
     
  #1410  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:03 PM
pianowizard pianowizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE Michigan, US
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
A lot of people who write articles have no idea what they're talking about, take it with a grain of salt
Some people still consider roof height to be the real height. Using this criterion, Tribune would be the nation's forth tallest:

Central Park Tower: 1550 ft
Sears/Willis: 1451 ft
111 West 57th Street: 1431 ft
Tribune Tower: 1422 ft

However, 111W57's roof is so skinny that the author of that CBS Chicago article might think of it as a spire, so Tribune Tower becomes 3rd tallest in his opinion.

This is an example of the average person and us skyscraper enthusiasts looking at buildings differently.
     
     
  #1411  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:22 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 49,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
However, 111W57's roof is so skinny that the author of that CBS Chicago article might think of it as a spire, so Tribune Tower becomes 3rd tallest in his opinion.

This is an example of the average person and us skyscraper enthusiasts looking at buildings differently.
More likely they just didn't know, which is why CP Tower didn't come into play. To be fair, those towers are still under construction, and many if not most New Yorkers don't really know what they are. So most journalists who write these pieces will go with what's already established. Some will do better because they know better.
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #1412  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:55 PM
Chicagolover88 Chicagolover88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 125
I think it's crazy that this tower is almost as tall as 111 west 57th street, but that buildings highest occupied floor is only 1,134 so this will have higher residence
     
     
  #1413  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:55 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Lol. 270 Park is said to be 1,425 ft. There are other proposals, but we know that one will start rising next year. So it would look like this:

1. Freedom Tower
2. Central Park Tower
3. Sears Tower
4. 111 W 57th
5. 270 Park Ave
6. Tribune East

If Tower Fifth and Grand Hyatt start anytime soon they would knock Tribune to 8th place and Sears to 5th (well 4th roof wise)

Factor in 432 Park ave. + Vanderbilt/Trump Tower the US will have over 10 400+ meter buildings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
The CTBUH article and Skyscrapercenter entry says 102 floors. Everything else says 113. Which is it?
The renderings make it look more like 113 but it's hard to tell, we've also heard 96 at some point.
     
     
  #1414  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 6:29 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
I think it's crazy that this tower is almost as tall as 111 west 57th street, but that buildings highest occupied floor is only 1,134 so this will have higher residence
More interesting to me is that the Sears Tower has over fourteen times the interior square footage of 111 W 57th.

The Sears Tower has more square footage than 111 w 57th, Central Park Tower, and 270 Park Avenue COMBINED. In fact, it has more than half a Tour Verre on them.

The only building on that list that comes close to the true scale of Sears is One World Trade Center which is about 1 million SF smaller...

Another fun fact: the Sears has roughly 2/3 of a 111 w 57th above it's last setback. That setback is at nearly 1200'. The highest floor in 111 is like 1120' right? That means Sears has more square footage in it's floors above the highest occupied space in 111 than there is total in 111.
__________________
Real Estate Bubble 2.0 in full effect:

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; May 28, 2020 at 6:41 PM.
     
     
  #1415  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 7:01 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hinsdale / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
More interesting to me is that the Sears Tower has over fourteen times the interior square footage of 111 W 57th.

The Sears Tower has more square footage than 111 w 57th, Central Park Tower, and 270 Park Avenue COMBINED. In fact, it has more than half a Tour Verre on them.

The only building on that list that comes close to the true scale of Sears is One World Trade Center which is about 1 million SF smaller...

Another fun fact: the Sears has roughly 2/3 of a 111 w 57th above it's last setback. That setback is at nearly 1200'. The highest floor in 111 is like 1120' right? That means Sears has more square footage in it's floors above the highest occupied space in 111 than there is total in 111.
I love stats like this. Absolute brain candy. The Sears tower is a BEAST. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
1. 111 W 57 - New York City - SHoP Architects - Photo
2. American Radiator Building - New York City - Hood, Godley, and Fouilhoux - Photo
3. One Chicago Square - Chicago - HPA and Goettsch Partners - Photo
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo
     
     
  #1416  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 7:16 PM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 518
[QUOTE=pianowizard;8934859]Some people still consider roof height to be the real height. Using this criterion, Tribune would be the nation's forth tallest:

Central Park Tower: 1550 ft
Sears/Willis: 1451 ft
111 West 57th Street: 1431 ft
Tribune Tower: 1422 ft

For a city 1/3 the size of NYC, it's amazing how well Chicago is punching for its weight in terms of roof height.
     
     
  #1417  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 7:27 PM
rgarri4's Avatar
rgarri4 rgarri4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
More interesting to me is that the Sears Tower has over fourteen times the interior square footage of 111 W 57th.

The Sears Tower has more square footage than 111 w 57th, Central Park Tower, and 270 Park Avenue COMBINED. In fact, it has more than half a Tour Verre on them.

The only building on that list that comes close to the true scale of Sears is One World Trade Center which is about 1 million SF smaller...

Another fun fact: the Sears has roughly 2/3 of a 111 w 57th above it's last setback. That setback is at nearly 1200'. The highest floor in 111 is like 1120' right? That means Sears has more square footage in it's floors above the highest occupied space in 111 than there is total in 111.
Holy shit this is awesome. Love these facts.
__________________
Renderings, Animations, VR
Youtube
     
     
  #1418  
Old Posted May 28, 2020, 10:24 PM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 49,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
More interesting to me is that the Sears Tower has over fourteen times the interior square footage of 111 W 57th.

The Sears Tower has more square footage than 111 w 57th, Central Park Tower, and 270 Park Avenue COMBINED. In fact, it has more than half a Tour Verre on them.

The only building on that list that comes close to the true scale of Sears is One World Trade Center which is about 1 million SF smaller...

Another fun fact: the Sears has roughly 2/3 of a 111 w 57th above it's last setback. That setback is at nearly 1200'. The highest floor in 111 is like 1120' right? That means Sears has more square footage in it's floors above the highest occupied space in 111 than there is total in 111.

I don’t think people realize just how small Steinway is, in terms of space. There’s a reason it’s so skinny. But the Sears Tower, like the original WTC (imagine having 2 Sears Towers built next to each other), was built at another time. That much square footage today would give you a taller tower. So in a sens it’s small for it’s size. Even this tower will nearly top it.
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
     
     
  #1419  
Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:03 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don’t think people realize just how small Steinway is, in terms of space. There’s a reason it’s so skinny. But the Sears Tower, like the original WTC (imagine having 2 Sears Towers built next to each other), was built at another time. That much square footage today would give you a taller tower. So in a sens it’s small for it’s size. Even this tower will nearly top it.
Great stuff. Chicago's home to some pretty large office spaces. 3 of the 6 largest in the world:

via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...fice_buildings

In square meters

620,000 The Pentagon
490,000 FCA US LLC Headquarters
416,000 Willis Tower
389,079 CCTV Headquarters
372,000 Merchandise Mart
334,451 Aon Center
325,279 One World Trade Center
325,000 55 Water Street

As NY Guy pointed out each of the old WTCs were about 436,000 sqm each, larger than Willis.

The new Old Post Office is 2.5 million square feet and 232,000 square meters, by far the largest office project of this cycle in Chicago.
     
     
  #1420  
Old Posted May 29, 2020, 3:10 AM
Dylan Dude Dylan Dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Lol. 270 Park is said to be 1,425 ft. There are other proposals, but we know that one will start rising next year. So it would look like this:

1. Freedom Tower
2. Central Park Tower
3. Sears Tower
4. 111 W 57th
5. 270 Park Ave
6. Tribune East
Fuck that, go by roof height.

So it'd be:
1. Central Park Tower
2. Sears Tower
3. 111 W 57th
4. 270 Park Ave
5. Tribune East
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.