HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 4:38 PM

I have zero expectation of interstate-style grade separations at minor local roads, etc.

But how about grade separations at major junctions? Deacon's Corner, St. Francis Xavier, Elie, Oakville, Yellowhead, Carberry, Brandon, Virden, etc. The lack of such things is inexcusable IMO.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 4:41 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Agreed with the yellowhead thing, but I again lament that there is no standard for the TCH and it’s tributaries. At the very least, minimum design standards should apply, ideally it should be under a federal system, similar to the interstate. That doesn’t mean that provinces don’t chip in, it just means we should do more on the national level to come up with a plan and - as you say - stick with it.
Québec just did it themselves. Even ripped off the interstate shield and colors, too.

What would a similar MB 'national' highway system look like? Bison-shaped shields for sure.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 4:46 PM

^ I don't think the trappings of provincial identity are a concern here, we just want the highways to be safer

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 4:52 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't think the trappings of provincial identity are a concern here, we just want the highways to be safer
Yes I agree, Esquire!

We have this 'trans-canada' federally funded system, but the discrepancies between provinces is so night and day. Give it balanced funding across the country so I can't tell if this amazing highway is in BC, MB, NB, NL.. whatever.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Yes I agree, Esquire!

We have this 'trans-canada' federally funded system, but the discrepancies between provinces is so night and day. Give it balanced funding across the country so I can't tell if this amazing highway is in BC, MB, NB, NL.. whatever.
The only real improvement to the TCH through Manitoba in the last 25 years was the twinning of the stretch from Virden to the Sask border in the early 2000s. That was good, but there has been jack all since. Maybe some shoulder widenings/pavings, that's it.

I guess the TCH bypass (PTH 100) @ St. Mary's Rd. interchange counts as an improvement. So there's finally that.

The TCH in Manitoba is not bad, there are just too many busy intersections that need to be addressed. That is the number one problem IMO.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The only real improvement to the TCH through Manitoba in the last 25 years was the twinning of the stretch from Virden to the Sask border in the early 2000s. That was good, but there has been jack all since. Maybe some shoulder widenings/pavings, that's it.

I guess the TCH bypass (PTH 100) @ St. Mary's Rd. interchange counts as an improvement. So there's finally that.

The TCH in Manitoba is not bad, there are just too many busy intersections that need to be addressed. That is the number one problem IMO.
How there is no interchange on the TCH at #16 is stupefying!

East of Winnipeg maybe only TCH at #11 would warrant an interchange but west of Winnipeg where do you begin, #16, #5, #430, #450..... all should have been done in conjunction with the twinning of each section, but crappy politicians with no forward thinking and this is what we get!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 2:15 AM

When I travel through the U.S., I notice that most of the bridges on the interstate seem to be this prefabricated metal low cost looking bridge, usually on the smaller county roads crossing the interstate. I don’t know if that would be a consideration for the Trans Canada, if in fact they are affordable low cost cookie cutter bridges.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Those Interstate cookie cutter diamond interchanges in North Dakota would probably come in at about $30m now. In 2018-19 I was speaking with a director at MIT and he said those were in the $15-20m range. They become significantly more expensive when they are near urban areas or are connecting major highways.

There is no excuse why our government can't build 2 or 3 of those each year along #1 and #75.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:29 PM

^ Cripes. Even 2 or 3 a decade going back to 1970 would have made a massive difference. Averaging 2.5 a decade, we'd be probably be starting diamond #14 right about now. What a difference that many grade separations would have made for the safety and efficiency of the highways.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:22 PM

This is a more compact and free flowing interchange that should be used at McGillvary

This is a bridge used at interstate 10 and 75 junction in Florida. It is free flowing compared to a diamond interchange that is currently proposed at McGillvary and the Perimeter

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post

This is a bridge used at interstate 10 and 75 junction in Florida. It is free flowing compared to a diamond interchange that is currently proposed at McGillvary and the Perimeter
Why does PTH 3 need to be free flowing? It's a two lane road with driveways accessing it that just hit traffic volumes justifying it being twinned in the last 5 years or so.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Why does PTH 3 need to be free flowing? It's a two lane road with driveways accessing it that just hit traffic volumes justifying it being twinned in the last 5 years or so.
Based on the principle that all divided 4 lanes need to be designated as freeways, freeway-to-freeway interchanges should always be free-flowing.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:46 PM

PTH 3 is planned to be twinned in the near term. Ideally it would be a parclo or something. But no, not every 4 laner needs to be a freeway.

I think one item that is lacking is the connection from the Perimeter on the major roads into the City. Basically everything being planned has no freeway type connection into the City. CPT for example. All connections to existing road network have stops lights. There are no planned systems interchange. Even at Route 90. Same as at McGillivray here.

The proposed upgrades at 101/kenaston is systems, same with some of the ultimate configurations for south perimeter upgrades.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
PTH 3 is planned to be twinned in the near term. Ideally it would be a parclo or something. But no, not every 4 laner needs to be a freeway.

I think one item that is lacking is the connection from the Perimeter on the major roads into the City. Basically everything being planned has no freeway type connection into the City. CPT for example. All connections to existing road network have stops lights. There are no planned systems interchange. Even at Route 90. Same as at McGillivray here.

The proposed upgrades at 101/kenaston is systems, same with some of the ultimate configurations for south perimeter upgrades.
Not saying it has to be a freeway, but I would want free flowing for its benefits like traffic not having to stop

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 3:02 PM

Ya I hear ya. They plan to install 3 other intersections immediately adjacent to the 2 intersections for the diamond. So not sure if it would make things any better having a full cloverleaf. Even the parclo I mentioned would require an intersection at each end.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya I hear ya. They plan to install 3 other intersections immediately adjacent to the 2 intersections for the diamond. So not sure if it would make things any better having a full cloverleaf. Even the parclo I mentioned would require an intersection at each end.
Well, a service interchange is better than nothing I guess. I know everyone wouldn't want this, but a diverging diamond could be installed.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
^ Cripes. Even 2 or 3 a decade going back to 1970 would have made a massive difference. Averaging 2.5 a decade, we'd be probably be starting diamond #14 right about now. What a difference that many grade separations would have made for the safety and efficiency of the highways.
I vaguely remember taking a school trip to Winnipeg when I was in Grade 4 (so 1970) and they were twinning the TCH at St Francis Xavier at the time. So yea, over 50 years and not one interchange had been built.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I vaguely remember taking a school trip to Winnipeg when I was in Grade 4 (so 1970) and they were twinning the TCH at St Francis Xavier at the time. So yea, over 50 years and not one interchange had been built.
The last interchange built on the TCH so far as I can recall was the one on the Portage Bypass back around 1993 or so? So 30 years ago. I guess the Perimeter @ St. Mary's Road interchange will finally break that dry spell.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
The last interchange built on the TCH so far as I can recall was the one on the Portage Bypass back around 1993 or so? So 30 years ago. I guess the Perimeter @ St. Mary's Road interchange will finally break that dry spell.
Yeah us!!!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 4:55 PM
Mooderator

I remember the Bishop Grandin/Pembina interchange being a real big thing. Was that in the early 90's?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan