HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...10512(RM)PW-21

Plans again to close curb lanes on Henderson and Watt St. for pedestrian, cycling and place making this summer.

I see the City does not support this on Henderson. It's kind of a joke because there are diamond lanes which limit traffic from 3 to 2 lanes and Disraeli is also only 2 lanes. So that's why there is the congestion during peak times that they mention. The congestion in the morning goin to downtown is really not that bad. And the only people who use the curb lane are those people skipping the line to cut in at Hespeler. Which is fine and legal. But not a huge deal to lose that IMO. I guess it would mostly affect transit stops, which could be dealt with.

Like I mentioned before, they could permanently have implemented this on Watt St with the recent reconstruction. But didn't. They mention that in the write-up. Which is also a joke.

There's actually a lot of items regarding cycling in that meeting. Overall tone. "The Public Service does not support this". Written by a traffic engineer.
Interesting/funny/sad all at the same time that the proposal aligns with all the OurWinnipeg policy objectives and every letter from residents was in support. Yet the traffic engineer says no. It's time we start to have lifestyle engineers at the CoW methinks.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I know this is the general Winnipeg thread, but we do have the cycling thread where this may be more on topic.
Cheers. Was just thinking the same think. Is there no proper moderation in this subforum?

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
There is also an organized mass cycle from Winnipeg to the Folk Fest but outside of the lane restriction on the floodway bridge it is unlike to cause that type of delay.
That is no more since the Perimeter Hwy underpass at Raleigh was completed. There may be some loosely organized groups that do it next year, but they will be off the busy roads.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:16 PM

Here's some construction news, did anyone here know that the city gave the owners of 390 Assiniboine (Caisse) a $1.9 million tax break over 10 years once the building went into receivership?

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it's the city's problem to make the financials of this failed project work. Also, how was this not bigger news?

Report 11
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTL View Post
Cheers. Was just thinking the same think. Is there no proper moderation in this subforum?

I did ask if there is anything new in regards of construction. Meaning things are looking up for the St. Regis site.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf View Post
I did ask if there is anything new in regards of construction. Meaning things are looking up for the St. Regis site.
Nothing new has come out on the forum about the proposal for the St Regis since the big to-do on here about how the first rendering looked.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Here's some construction news, did anyone here know that the city gave the owners of 390 Assiniboine (Caisse) a $1.9 million tax break over 10 years once the building went into receivership?

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it's the city's problem to make the financials of this failed project work. Also, how was this not bigger news?

Report 11
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=
It looks to me like the city is just transferring the tax break given to the original developer to the new company that took over the building from the receiver. Same deal just different company getting it

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post

As an aside: I now have a new favourite building in Manitoba -- the building at Oak Hammock Marsh. I haven't been out there since like the mid-90s and never realised how interesting it was.
Thank you. It is gratifying to learn of the continued impact of a 30+ year old building design. It may not be MY favourite Manitoba building (close), but the design process of the Oak Hammond Marsh Centre is my favourite of all in my career. A few very good friendships developed that are still ongoing. It means a lot to an "old" retired architect to know that some of his building designs are still relevant and appreciated today.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
15 minutes behind a cyclist on a rural highway?!....i call BS on this whole story.
This isn’t the first time you’ve called me a liar.... you said I was making up stories about your buddy Matheson? Was I?

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:03 PM

This thread is not for cycling. It's for construction!!!

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:27 PM

It’s interesting that the people who rail against spending any money on cycling infrastructure are the same ones who have a seething hatred for cyclists being on roads (building cycling infrastructure is construction related).

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 5:42 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf View Post
This thread is not for cycling. It's for construction!!!
Do you have anything to contribute beyond telling people what they can/can't talk about? The number of times people freak out when a heated debate freaks out, not because of a lack of logic being thrown out there or open hostility in responses, but because it's "in the wrong place" is comical.

Any actual projects have their own independent thread for updates. Just because the name of this thread has the word "construction" in it doesn't mean it's exclusive to construction. It's a catch all for Winnipeg/Manitoba discussion.

Stop trying to police things because it makes you uncomfortable. If you don't like it don't read it, just lurk in the project specific threads.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 5:51 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Do you have anything to contribute beyond telling people what they can/can't talk about? The number of times people freak out when a heated debate freaks out, not because of a lack of logic being thrown out there or open hostility in responses, but because it's "in the wrong place" is comical.

Any actual projects have their own independent thread for updates. Just because the name of this thread has the word "construction" in it doesn't mean it's exclusive to construction. It's a catch all for Winnipeg/Manitoba discussion.

Stop trying to police things because it makes you uncomfortable. If you don't like it don't read it, just lurk in the project specific threads.
Actually, no, it's not. It's a forum dedicated to discussing construction projects and architectural news in Winnipeg.

Cycling has a dedicated thread. General/Whatever you want stuff has its own dedicated thread as well.

I don't see anything wrong with talking about anything but we did create specific threads for a reason.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:05 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Actually, no, it's not. It's a forum dedicated to discussing construction projects and architectural news in Winnipeg.

Cycling has a dedicated thread. General/Whatever you want stuff has its own dedicated thread as well.

I don't see anything wrong with talking about anything but we did create specific threads for a reason.
The name has always said construction, the content has always been diverse. If were limiting discussions to dedicated threads then this thread should also not contain any content related to construction for almost any existing project, proposed or otherwise. If you want this to be a silent thread occasionally used for vague rumors then that's pretty depressing.

You're lying to yourself if you think this thread has always and only been dedicated to "discussing construction projects and architectural news in Winnipeg"

I get that not everyone is interested in heated debates or discussing things in a forum setting, confrontation makes you uncomfortable. I get it... But maybe we should rename this thread so it doesn't confuse people, because this is a place to discuss Winnipeg/Manitoba as a whole, always has been always will be - even if people decide its not now and then. Making a new thread for every passing thought has done more damage to this forum than good. The reason we don't have the subforum like Toronto, Halifax, etc, is because we have so few posters, theres no need to discourage discussion and split everything off...

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:13 PM

Some people think it’s a zero sum game. If you discuss one issue more, then there is less room for other discussion ...

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:20 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Some people think it’s a zero sum game. If you discuss one issue more, then there is less room for other discussion ...
That's a really good way of putting it. It's like being at a party but demanding only 1 convo happens at a time.

It's also interesting that the content of this thread only becomes an issue when the discussion isn't a circle jerk of agreement. The moment the topic is heated suddenly it's time for everyone to leave.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:46 PM

I use to post a lot here Wiggles. I dunno what happened to my old account, but when l last posted here. There was a thread for Transit and infrastructure.......... something like this. I looked recently and it seems like that thread was deleted. I may of overlooked. I was taking care of it in a sense. Always updating information about rapid transit. For what is happening with rapid transit now. It would be nice to have that thread back, so people can be updated on what is going on. This thread itself is only dedicated to construction. People have taken a sharp left turn and forgot what this thread is really about. What I'm saying is that this thread needs to get back on track.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:47 PM
What could go wrong?

I just made a Cycling/Infrastructure thread.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:47 PM

As well for cycling which could be part of it as well. I will look for it again. Wigglez

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I just made a Cycling/Infrastructure thread.

Awesome stuff!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan