HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I agree. And how many people actually care THAT much? Can I walk to things? Check. Nice apartments? Check. Places to eat? Check. A nice grocery store right there? Check. It's really just that simple in most cases.
I think that the actual town center itself is nice (as in, where the restaurants are. I worked for Jackson Cross a few summers ago and loved going to District Taco), but the commute was just terrible. I feel like ONLY people who work in KOP can realistically live there. I was driving in from Havertown at the time and it was killer.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:57 PM

There are still plenty of companies expanding and moving into the city. People will always live in the city and work in the burbs, or live in the burbs and work in the city. And if not they still come to the city to spend their money. And conversely travel from the city to the burbs to spend their money. Young people are still flooding the city and I’d say wealthy empty nesters are beginning to return to the city at an accelerated rate. We live in an easily manageable metro area it’s not hard to get around and you’re never really “stuck” in city or burbs. Living in the city I frequently go to towns in the suburbs who have plenty to offer. A 20-30 minute drive/train ride is nothing. One does not impede the other

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:04 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Right it's not pro-city or pro-burbs or vice versa per se. There's a natural ebb and flow of people moving in and out of the city and surrounding suburbs or people transplanting into the city or suburbs. People makes these decisions based on personal situations, preferences and self-interests. In the totality of things, philly and philly burbs are pretty special places where you can take advantage of all the amenities that the city and suburbs have to offer.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
46-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Planned at Ridge and Spring Garden

Rendering:

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/46-unit...spring-garden/
That is one sexy building, and it's at a prominent corner to boot! Now that Ridge Avenue between Broad and Girard is almost completely filled in, I would love to see Ridge between Broad and Spring Garden fill in for a seamless urban experience.

Quote:
30-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Planned at Broad and Toronto

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/30-unit...d-and-toronto/
Between this and the project near Broad and Allegheny, this area is set to receive a good burst of new energy!

This project also makes me wish that our leaders would have a better, more robust vision for the area. The City, SEPTA, Amtrak, the Commonwealth of PA, and other stakeholders should be getting on top of renovating North Philadelphia Station, adding additional Amtrak service to the station, bringing back express BSL service to the North Philadelphia BSL stop, and adding high platforms to SEPTA's North Broad Station. Not only is this area an underutilized transit nexus overflowing with unrealized potential for the city, but it could also attract people who work in North Jersey, New York, and even the Main Line (assuming that additional Keystone stops are added).

Devise a comprehensive transit plan for the area, add more local and intercity train service, incentivize office development (especially towards what has already been proposed with the North Station District), and establish a Special Services District, and this portion of North Philly would be on fire!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 11:33 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
46-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Planned at Ridge and Spring Garden

Rendering:

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/46-unit...spring-garden/
We're going back to the future Marty!!!

I like this!

Are clocks and details in buildings coming back?? This is an awesome build and will definitely add to the area.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Agree with all. But the bolded part worries me. I understand the goal is to lower the wage tax burden for everyone, but the mentality of f*ck them if they chose to live in the burbs and work in the city is not a good look.
Sorry, what? Of all the things to criticize city council for, this is bizarre.

I don't know why you assume animosity in the intent to start pushing wage tax burden onto commuters and away from city residents. People who choose to live in the city already shoulder a much larger proportional tax burden then their suburban brethren.

This city is a dumping ground for this entire region's problems. If you live on one side of an arbitrary line, you have to pay for all of the costs associated with maintaining the central hub of 6 million person metro, if you live on the other side of this arbitrary line, you get to wave those burdens away and only worry about the tiny suburban town you live in. Even the drug addicts in every tiny suburban town come to philly to shoot up where they become our problem.

Philadelphia has a ton of great suburbs. But none of them could exist as they do with all of their great amenities and culture without Philadelphia serving as that central hub, creating the gravity that holds everything together. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the city doing what they can, to force them to pay their fair share. And I say this as mostly lifelong Philadelphian with two young kids who is seriously considering decamping to the suburbs for awhile, because there are a lot of advantages to living in the suburbs. It isn't anti-suburban to think that the tax burden should be spread out more equitably throughout the metro. The real shame is we can only tax the people who work here.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:13 AM

^^this right here. I would love if the state devolved some powers to a metropolitan area government like they’ve done with Greater London. Spread the burden over a wider area to make it more sustainable and fair, because you’re right, the suburbs only exist, by definition really, because of the city.

Of course it’ll absolutely never happen here, but I can dream. In the meantime, I agree with the state shifting some of the burden onto the suburbs because it’s definitely true that we absorb a lot of the regions problems while also providing many of the benefits.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:41 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
^^this right here. I would love if the state devolved some powers to a metropolitan area government like they’ve done with Greater London. Spread the burden over a wider area to make it more sustainable and fair, because you’re right, the suburbs only exist, by definition really, because of the city.

Of course it’ll absolutely never happen here, but I can dream. In the meantime, I agree with the state shifting some of the burden onto the suburbs because it’s definitely true that we absorb a lot of the regions problems while also providing many of the benefits.
Something like this would never, ever, ever happen... but you aren't wrong. It could also be argued that Harrisburg should already be doing this by taking steps such as raising the statewide income tax and directing more money to poorer areas such as Philly (thus allowing Philly to lower the wage tax), or taking steps to amend the state constitution to allow progressive income taxation, but I digress.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:30 PM
Chris

Quote:
Honestly, I like the KOP Town Center. I think it's very well done. Perfect? No, not at all... but well done nonetheless. The amount they have build there in just a few short years is nothing short of astonishing. Clearly people like it and want to live there with how many residential units have been built and absorbed there. If that level of explosive growth was happening in a city neighborhood, we'd be jumping for joy.

I'm OK with the city vs. suburbs. Philadelphia does have some very attractive, urban and walkable towns and small cities - Ardmore, Media, Phoenixville, West Chester, Bristol, Ambler, Doylestown, Conshohocken, Haddonfield, Collingswood, Newark, Wilmington, etc. etc... the list goes on. Plus, some nice "new urban" town centers like King of Prussia and Exton. At least these companies are staying in the metro area... plus...we're talking about Radian who had maybe 200 to 300 employees in Center City, and Axalta who had maybe 100 employees at their Center City offices. It could certainly be worse, and I feel as if these spaces will be backfilled pretty easily.

We do need a more business friendly city government and state government in general, but hopefully, this little Life Sciences thing will continue to take off in Philadelphia. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
I agree with the KoP town center comment. I spent time there recently (working with a developer on an insurance issue).

With all my travels, I find it to be one of the most well-done examples of "instant urbanism". Decent retail, tons of great food options, a major CHOP outpost, and over 1000 residential units. It does feel like a little city when you're in the mix. The bad part is that it cannot expand outside its current boundaries due to highways everywhere. If there could be a seamless gridwork between the center and the mall, it would be the best edge city setup in the Northeast.

And from hearsay, the residential units are flying off the shelves. Toll Brothers announced another townhome project in the last available corner of land, over 1/3 under contract before ground broke. I applaud the explosive growth in Upper Merion.

Not sure why people aren't a fan of it actually?.. Is it a Media, West Chester, etc.? Of course not. But a developer could have easily thrown up a Target and a few banks and called it a day.

And to your comment city vs. burbs. I am always happy if companies stay or locate in the region, because in the end, we are one region, but I would love to see more high paying jobs in the city, not outside of it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Something like this would never, ever, ever happen... but you aren't wrong. It could also be argued that Harrisburg should already be doing this by taking steps such as raising the statewide income tax and directing more money to poorer areas such as Philly (thus allowing Philly to lower the wage tax), or taking steps to amend the state constitution to allow progressive income taxation, but I digress.
I like the thought but we all know that with the leaders we have in office they would decrease the wage tax by 0.00001% and then just spend more on their pet projects.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Sorry, what? Of all the things to criticize city council for, this is bizarre.

I don't know why you assume animosity in the intent to start pushing wage tax burden onto commuters and away from city residents. People who choose to live in the city already shoulder a much larger proportional tax burden then their suburban brethren.

This city is a dumping ground for this entire region's problems. If you live on one side of an arbitrary line, you have to pay for all of the costs associated with maintaining the central hub of 6 million person metro, if you live on the other side of this arbitrary line, you get to wave those burdens away and only worry about the tiny suburban town you live in. Even the drug addicts in every tiny suburban town come to philly to shoot up where they become our problem.

Philadelphia has a ton of great suburbs. But none of them could exist as they do with all of their great amenities and culture without Philadelphia serving as that central hub, creating the gravity that holds everything together. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the city doing what they can, to force them to pay their fair share. And I say this as mostly lifelong Philadelphian with two young kids who is seriously considering decamping to the suburbs for awhile, because there are a lot of advantages to living in the suburbs. It isn't anti-suburban to think that the tax burden should be spread out more equitably throughout the metro. The real shame is we can only tax the people who work here.
Not bizarre, and not animosity. When I referenced the F**k em comment, it was my interpretation of Councils disinterest toward commuters, which is vital for the city's health, and their disinterest toward most pragmatic economic ideas. Lowering the wage tax for all, and shifting the burden is a smart investment for future economic competitiveness. (Separately, I understand the city can only control / change so much before it enters Harrisburg).

I would say the city is a dumping ground for the Commonwealths problems. The suburban region contributes a lot and deals with the Commonwealth mess just as much as Philadelphia. And unfortunately a lot of the burdens the city has is a result of failed city AND state leadership. I don't view the suburbs as a hindrance at all, it is actually a benefit to have a powerful and increasing democratic leaning suburban region (most cities do not have that). And unfortunately most good ideas mentioned in this thread will never happen because rural GOP are bitter toward the Southeast region for a slew of reasons. But, Pennsylvania would be down the toilet without the 5 county region supporting it. How ironic...

If you disagree that is fine, we can move on and get back on topic.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jul 8, 2021 at 3:40 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:53 PM
Chris

Yorktown was supposed to be Philly’s Black suburb. Now development is converging on the neighborhood.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210708.html

Title is misleading. A great column from Inga explaining why we need denser development along Girard. And an example of Councilman Clarke acting as a counterproductive nincompoop.

Also, I was unaware that the proposed apartments at 12th & Girard and 10th & Girard are now in limo due to Clarkes downzoning efforts.

I can post article tidbits if people need them.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jul 8, 2021 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 4:02 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
There are still plenty of companies expanding and moving into the city. People will always live in the city and work in the burbs, or live in the burbs and work in the city. And if not they still come to the city to spend their money. And conversely travel from the city to the burbs to spend their money. Young people are still flooding the city and I’d say wealthy empty nesters are beginning to return to the city at an accelerated rate. We live in an easily manageable metro area it’s not hard to get around and you’re never really “stuck” in city or burbs. Living in the city I frequently go to towns in the suburbs who have plenty to offer. A 20-30 minute drive/train ride is nothing. One does not impede the other

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:06 PM

Looks like that stupid surface parking lot along 2nd Street in Old City is about to bite the dust! Could this possibly be a highrise proposal, or is it more likely to be a midrise?

ZP-2021-005812
Jul 8, 2021
36-38 S 2ND ST, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2802
PARKWAY CORPORATION, POSEL ENTERPRISES 1, 1

For a lot adjustment to create one (1) parcel from two (2) OPA accounts (36-38 S. 2nd Street and 40-42 S. 2nd Street), as shown on the attached plans. For the erection of a structure with sixty-six (66) dwelling units, twenty-eight (28) bicycle spaces, eighteen (18) accessory off-site vehicle parking spaces, and ground floor commercial spaces, as shown on the attached plans.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Not bizarre, and not animosity. When I referenced the F**k em comment, it was my interpretation of Councils disinterest toward commuters, which is vital for the city's health, and their disinterest toward most pragmatic economic ideas. Lowering the wage tax for all, and shifting the burden is a smart investment for future economic competitiveness. (Separately, I understand the city can only control / change so much before it enters Harrisburg).

I would say the city is a dumping ground for the Commonwealths problems. The suburban region contributes a lot and deals with the Commonwealth mess just as much as Philadelphia. And unfortunately a lot of the burdens the city has is a result of failed city AND state leadership. I don't view the suburbs as a hindrance at all, it is actually a benefit to have a powerful and increasing democratic leaning suburban region (most cities do not have that). And unfortunately most good ideas mentioned in this thread will never happen because rural GOP are bitter toward the Southeast region for a slew of reasons. But, Pennsylvania would be down the toilet without the 5 county region supporting it. How ironic...

If you disagree that is fine, we can move on and get back on topic.
Don't really want to continue this much further, but I just wanted to say that I agree with many of your points. I'm not at all trying to say that the suburbs are a hindrance. As you mention, Pennsylvania has a very combative relationship with Philadelphia and I agree, as the philly suburbs have come to align more with Philly politically, they have generally been on Philadelphia's side in these disagreements and that is certainly a huge help.

But as nice as it is that the Philadelphia suburbs are increasingly "on our side" in regard to our disputes with Harrisburg, that still doesn't change what I wrote regarding tax burdens and the fact that the burden falls much harder on Philadelphians than on those living in the nearby suburbs. As sympathetic and "on our side" as suburban Philadelphians may be, they're not willingly kicking in tax dollars to fix streets the whole metro uses, or to pick up the trash, or help us fight the opioid epidemic which affects the whole region but nearly all of the costs fall on on city residents.

I agree it's better overall, to bring in tax dollars through other means and shift away from wage taxes, but as you know, Philly's ability to do that is hindered by Harrisburg. And while it's great the suburbs are on our side fighting to allow Philly to pass some needed tax reforms, in the meantime why wouldn't Philly at least shift more of the wage tax burden onto non city residents and away from the city residents who are over taxed and receive less in return?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:05 PM

This will be more like a low-to-mid rise building. Either way, great news.

The following is from the Zoning Plan (L&I Permit Pre-Requisite) attachment:

Quote:
Work Description:

The applicant proposes an 8,744 square foot 7-story mixed use building development and the re-construction of the curb and sidewalk of the Strawberry Street, Trotters Alley, and S. 2nd Street frontages. No curb cut will be proposed.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 11:09 PM

Are there any zoning overlays in this part of Old City that would ensure that the facade and massing of this building are, well, aesthetically pleasing given its surroundings? This is a pretty historical part of the city and I’d hate to see an ugly stucco box plopped here.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:47 PM

Downey's demolition

Looks like their is a demolition permit for Downey's at Front and South:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...k5Y8mFraVeBHco

I'm unsure how to feel about this until I see a rendering. I guess this is part of the Society Hill overlay? This would be a good spot for a mid-rise with first floor commercial. Downey's was a lot of fun before but the last few times I went before it closed, it was a dump.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:48 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Looks like their is a demolition permit for Downey's at Front and South:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...k5Y8mFraVeBHco

I'm unsure how to feel about this until I see a rendering. I guess this is part of the Society Hill overlay? This would be a good spot for a mid-rise with first floor commercial. Downey's was a lot of fun before but the last few times I went before it closed, it was a dump.
Not sure if this part of the overlay, someone here will know.

My only wish is for a restaurant / café component in the replacement structure.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:50 PM
Chris

Philadelphia seeks developer for old Family Court building, neighboring lot after hotel plans are scrapped

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-rfq-bids.html

I still hope for a luxury hotel. This location is still slightly separated from the action, but will become more lucrative with each passing year.

We need an Edition brand in Philly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development