HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:55 AM

A couple small updates on two projects along the eastern stretch of 24th st in the Mission.

3001 24th St - BMR for seniors.

Refresher:

For scale / context from about a block east of Harrison:

And the once (but probably still) contentious laundromat redevelopment next to the Brava Theater.

Demo (and mural removal) appears to have begun.

To be replaced with some version of this (older / circa 2017, but only rendering I could find):

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 7:02 PM

I wasn’t able to take a pic because I was driving but the Big Bubbles laundromat on Van Ness just above Union has been demolished to make way for this project:

https://socketsite.com/archives/2018...o-reality.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 1:28 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
And of course Hastings, across town, which is also doing some building, is one of UC Berkely's law schools.
Way off. Cal's law school, Boalt (which recently changed to Berkeley Law due to political correctness) has nothing to do with Hastings, which predates it, in fact. Hastings is a UC school, but we're autonomous within the UC system. You're right, however, that it's a similar relationship to that of UCSF.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 10:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
Way off. Cal's law school, Boalt (which recently changed to Berkeley Law due to political correctness) has nothing to do with Hastings, which predates it, in fact. Hastings is a UC school, but we're autonomous within the UC system. You're right, however, that it's a similar relationship to that of UCSF.
He was an influential supporter of the Chinese Exclusion Act in 1882. In 1877 he read a paper before the Berkeley Club in which he wrote that Chinese were unassimilable liars, murderers and misogynists who provoked "unconquerable repulsion."

Damned political correctness ruining everything!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the UC system in the Bay Area is a complex of schools under the University of California. Every large university has a variety of separate "schools", all part of the same university. Berkeley itself doesn't have a medical school like UCLA does because the UC medical school here was put in San Francisco and the law schools, Boalt and Hastings, existence meant Berkeley didn't have its own law school. I'll take your word for Berkeley having absorbed Boalt administratively. It hardly seems to matter to me. This is all administrative fine tuning of no consequence as far as I'm concerned and I don't try to keep up as it changes (UCSF even tried to merge its hospital system with Stanford's, then undid it)

In case anyone cares, there's probably a reason the UC medical campus is in San Francisco. Medical schools in the US traditionally used the urban poor as "teaching material", essentially providing free care in return for allowing medical students and house staff to provide most of that care under supervision of senior physicians. My alma mater, Johns Hopkins, for example, put its undergraduate campus in one of the nicest/toniest neighborhoods in Baltimore but the medical school and hospital are in one of the grittier parts of East Baltimore because that's where the patients willing to take the trade were. The Berkeley vs SF UC situation seems similar to me.

I'm willing to bet UC Hastings is also in San Francisco right next to the state office building because that makes it close to one of the meeting places of the state Supreme Court and to what once was the most active municipal/county court system in the northern part of the state.

All of these location issues simply put UC educational institutions where they belong. How they organize their administration is up to them.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Oct 4, 2020 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 1:05 AM
heavy user of walkability

here is the supportive housing going up on Mission next to the courthouse on Seventh

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:14 PM

The observation wheel in Golden Gate Park will open Oct 21st and tickets are $10 for the first couple of days. Regular price is $18 for adults and $12 for kids

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:46 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
The observation wheel in Golden Gate Park will open Oct 21st and tickets are $10 for the first couple of days. Regular price is $18 for adults and $12 for kids
Thanks for the update, Gilly! Feel free to check it out and post photos. Maybe some drone videos too!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:18 PM

Haha, I'll try to trek up and check it out!

==

https://www.pier30.com/

I don't think this was posted but there's more renderings of the proposal on pier 30-32

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 5:40 PM
A Man In Dandism

That looks amazing!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 5:55 PM

Love this! Very different and will give this section of the Embarcadero some life.

What are the chances of something like this actually getting built?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 6:37 PM
Build Baby Build

Those piers are an awesome shape, this almost looks alien. Not to be a downer, but my bets are on the pier being simplified (less curvy) in a future redesign if it moves forward.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 7:03 PM

A response to all the phallic highrises maybe?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:10 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

The pier proposal renderings are awesome! I could see it being an extremely popular destination right there on the water.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:12 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The pier proposal renderings are awesome! I could see it being an extremely popular destination right there on the water.
It's magnet shaped. It'll be a tourist magnet!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Thanks for the update! Would you happen to know the hours of operation?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181Fremont View Post
Thanks for the update! Would you happen to know the hours of operation?
Open Daily (GRAND OPENING - OCTOBER 21, 2020)

MON-FRI 12PM - 10PM

SAT-SUN 10AM - 10PM

https://www.skystarwheel.com/tickets

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 8:01 AM

Having the big open water space in the center with a lot less pier area than now would probably cost considerably less to renovate. Aside from the coolness factor, I suspect that had something to with the design.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 9:07 PM
heavy user of walkability

Pier 30 question

that Pier 30 design is different than the one shown in the Chronicle article a month ago - I'm unsure, could this be a design that was not chosen?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
that Pier 30 design is different than the one shown in the Chronicle article a month ago - I'm unsure, could this be a design that was not chosen?
You are correct. This set is from Earthprise...they weren't even one of the three finalists, as they were one of the two other proposals determined to not meet the minimum qualifications to be considered.

https://sfport.com/sites/default/fil...L330_final.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations