HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Looks like the old concrete tower coming down on Route 90

Where along rt 90 is this?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 9:18 PM

Immediately south of Ikea, if I recall

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 9:45 PM

It never ceases to amaze me of what length graffiti artists go to "tag" buildings.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 12:29 AM

The Inland site demolition has been a long ongoing process. The cement production plant was demolished in 2018 leaving the silos which are currently being demolished in 2023.

Looking at the picture I'm sort of surprised that a high reach claw is being used and there was not an implosion of the silos.

I recall a few years ago one member (1AJS?) saying he was on top of some concrete silos behind Ikea doing microwave or cell antenna work. I wonder if it was these ones?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 5:48 AM

graffiti artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me of what length graffiti artists go to "tag" buildings.
Now just imagine a time & place where those graffiti artists put as much exuberance in finding a job or in some cases keeping their job?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 1:37 PM

Article from today's on-line Free press about a small but important development coming to the Central Park area:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...-place-to-stay

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 2:22 PM

Came across the Westlands at Oddy affordable seniors housing complex in my travels this weekend. It isn't some giant shinny tower but that is the short of project we need a lot more of in this city especially targeting being affordable housing.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Article from today's on-line Free press about a small but important development coming to the Central Park area:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...-place-to-stay
"The UWCRC 2.0 requested that the development’s address remain anonymous for safety reasons."

And yet they release a rendering that includes the very distinctive heritage building that this development is attached to. I recognized it immediately, as would many (most?) who live or work nearby.

I suppose it's more about keeping the address from search engines, but still...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Now just imagine a time & place where those graffiti artists put as much exuberance in finding a job or in some cases keeping their job?
This is the least cool thing I've ever read

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Sometimes I find that stuff cool. Lots of assumptions baked into that one. I’d be curious to know if aside from the vandalism, people who tag are in a demographic that disproportionately causes other problems. The nicer stuff definitely adds to the visual interest of many places, especially shitty bland concrete environments. Lots of tagging, unfortunately, is pretty dumb and hideous on the other hand.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"The UWCRC 2.0 requested that the development’s address remain anonymous for safety reasons."

And yet they release a rendering that includes the very distinctive heritage building that this development is attached to. I recognized it immediately, as would many (most?) who live or work nearby.

I suppose it's more about keeping the address from search engines, but still...
Looks like the article has been edited to only show an interior shot.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by building_lover View Post
This is the least cool thing I've ever read
Yup

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Sometimes I find that stuff cool. Lots of assumptions baked into that one. I’d be curious to know if aside from the vandalism, people who tag are in a demographic that disproportionately causes other problems. The nicer stuff definitely adds to the visual interest of many places, especially shitty bland concrete environments. Lots of tagging, unfortunately, is pretty dumb and hideous on the other hand.
The graffiti in the exchange definitely adds to the ambience of the area, but i think a lot of that was arranged by the district itself, so they could select people who actually had some artistic talent. I've personally never been impressed by the simple squiggles, but I can't speak to the motivation of the tagger. Maybe some just want to deface something, maybe some are trying to say "I exist". An annoying way to say it, and not a positive feature for the city, IMO.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I've personally never been impressed by the simple squiggles, but I can't speak to the motivation of the tagger.
I think a lot of it is basically a status race among graffiti writers. In the early days of graffiti certain writers would gain "fame" (among a narrow circle of other graffiti writers) for being "kings" (being up more than everyone else) or "all-city" (covering more of the city with your tags than others).

So, "pieces" -- the big complex colourful murals -- are about showing off that you have more skill, style, etc.

But the tags are almost like a competition, so hitting places that are visible and hard to get to and unlikely to be written over gives you "fame".

A very costly/destructive dick-measuring contest, basically

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 5:37 PM

I'm not a graffiti fan personally, I don't see much beauty in it. Frankly, if anything it feels like a sign of decay and social disorder in a city as opposed to any sort of vibrancy.

But that said, it doesn't bother me as long as it is restricted to back alleys and other out of the way places. What is the point of spray painting historic sites... I mean, tagging Seven Oaks House is just garbage. But people who do this obviously don't respect their surroundings

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What is the point of spray painting historic sites... I mean, tagging Seven Oaks House is just garbage. But people who do this obviously don't respect their surroundings
I thought some of that sort of graffiti used to be gangs marking territory. Is that still a thing that happens?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yes, some of the graffiti is actually impressive. Dare I say, it adds some character to things like rail cars going from city to city.

As for taggers causing other problems disproportionally to the general population, I would say that is a given - yes. Most of us were raised to not vandalise, and most of the taggers are doing this to rebel. However, I've met 2 or 3 taggers in my life, and they are usually involved in other petty crime- shoplifting, theft, etc.

Not all do, but when one considers that they know that they are technically breaking the law, it's not a stretch to say they are doing other criminal acts.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I thought some of that sort of graffiti used to be gangs marking territory. Is that still a thing that happens?
Some of it is....I think it's always been like that in North America.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
As for taggers causing other problems disproportionally to the general population, I would say that is a given - yes. Most of us were raised to not vandalise, and most of the taggers are doing this to rebel. However, I've met 2 or 3 taggers in my life, and they are usually involved in other petty crime- shoplifting, theft, etc.

Not all do, but when one considers that they know that they are technically breaking the law, it's not a stretch to say they are doing other criminal acts.
This could apply to virtually all teenagers. I went to highschool with a few very active taggers, all were upper-middle class kids who were into street art and had too much time on their hands. They thought it was "cool". 90% of teenagers are shitty people who think mild vandalism is cool and fun. If you wanna curb this activity then create a city where young people have more places to go and stuff to do instead of a big boomer-centric parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
yes. though it usually can be distinguished from non-gang graffiti by the materials (cheaper paint with stock caps), the location (street level and at points of territorial boundaries), the technique (no style, just size, with the occasional exception of 'blackletter' style text), the text itself (use of gang acronyms and numbers). cross-outs and threats are more common.

non-gang graffiti tends to go for trying to hit more impressive or difficult locations not limited to a certain territory, uses non-stock paint caps, uses different iconography (arrows, halos, quotation marks, stars), a different technique (often a flowing, calligraphic kind of style), using more of a mix of materials (tags with paint or markers, stickers, fast bubble-letter "throwies" or large complex "pieces").

it's all destructive and costly, of course, but they can be told apart.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan