HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It's great to see that Fort Richmond is absolutely booming rn. This is an amazing infill location because it has every single amenity you could possibly need in the Fort Richmond Plaza and surrounding commercial strips. Not to mention it is across the street from the Blue Line.
I agree. Every time I drive north down Pembina from the Perimeter to Bishop Grandin, the area feels like it is steadily growing and well taken care of. The projects in recent years that have ranged from road renewals to condos in St. Norbert to the redevelopment of the Fort Richmond mall to the Arc and other major apartment buildings gives this area a good vibe. Of course, all of this is due to the "suburban" UofM that many of you love to harp on so much - without understanding that the UofM was founded in 1877 as an agricultural college on that land well before much of the city existed.

The international student population at the UofM is a major driver of the growth we see in this area, including several 5+ story apartment blocks that have been built or are under construction here. The overall large student counts at the UofM also drive renewal in the area as more shops and businesses pop up to cater to them.

It's a good area, and in my opinion we should be cheering on the renewal occurring in parts of our city that aren't just downtown. Yes, I know most of you think everything should be downtown and all private investment concentrated there, but I think it's healthy to spread around some of the growth and investment and concentrate it in areas like central corridors that run throughout our city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 2:21 PM

For many years that South Pembina strip did look kind of stuck in the 70s, but it is looking much better these days. From St. Norbert right up to pretty well Bishop Grandin. Just a handful of prominent new developments as well as some renovated complexes have really freshened up the street. It looks much better driving in from the south now than it used to.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 4:42 PM
surely you agree with me

wow that's a big building! looks interesting too.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 8:24 PM

Damn TV how long were you planning to hide this 65 unit infill gem from us

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 8:58 PM

It's the horizontal groundscraper that biguc was talking about in another thread!

It's a great set of buildings (I assume it's not just one?). Great example of infill to help densify a neighbourhood that can easily handle some more people.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 9:59 PM
surely you agree with me

ha ha...yeah its two identical mirrored buildings....goes to community committee this week...will be interesting to see if it gets voted down...planners are in support....but councilors are wildcards at the best of times...never mind in an election year.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:49 PM
keep the good times going

Just wanted to throw this quote in here from the FREEP Article on the Shaftsbury development.....

"...The fact is the neighborhood is zoned for single-family homes. It isn’t that we’re anti-density, we just recognize that this is not a good fit here."

Makes total sense...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...WIhRUgXQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:55 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Yea the way they're complaining about the project and rallying everyone against it is as if someone is proposing to plunk 330 Main street right there. Chill out and get over yourself. This is a minor infill totally fit for the location and neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:25 PM

A new low for hysterical Winnipeg NIMBY overreactions.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Even CMU said that the buildings are out of place and one of them with tower over their beautiful castle like facility.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:48 PM

I saw some complaints about park space but I can't understand what public greenspace is being lost. The property was a group home before, not a park.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I saw some complaints about park space but I can't understand what public greenspace is being lost. The property was a group home before, not a park.
It's just one of the standard NIMBY complaints that get trotted out. They don't really believe it.

- Loss of greenspace
- Human rights violation
- Environmental concerns
- Increase in traffic
- Loss of neighbourhood character

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 5:39 PM

There's a small portion, like tiny triangle, of the site that is used by the golf course. And will still be there in the end IIRC. "Greensapce". Maybe it's like the public gardens on private property type thinking.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 5:59 PM
surely you agree with me

I’m a nimby against that two acre gravel parking lot.

This is indeed a new low. The single family only signs are completely tone deaf.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:51 PM

That big CMU gravel parking lot isn't going anywhere I don't think. There's a little CMU garden just west of it (between the gravel lot and the police station parking lot in the background) and they've had beehives there the last couple of summers which is cool to see.

I think the tallest building is supposed to be 6 storeys unless they changed them back to 4. How tall would 6 storeys be? At least 60 feet? The image seems to downplay it - they all kind of look the same size.

I guess parking is all underground there? There's no room for 75 surface spots (1.5 per unit is code?) I supose...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 9:29 PM

It’s funny how NIMBYs support single-family zoning yet never mention that single-family zoning was created in the 1920s to ensure that minorities couldn’t live next to white people…

Gotta love people showcasing blatant classism (and discreet racism) while publishing it on the free press.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 9:54 PM

Tower over?? lol, the buildings don't appear to be more than 5 stories high. They aren't towering over anything other than that huge gravel parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 1:12 AM

Agreed. IMO the gravel parking lot is way more of an issue in this context than this or really any other development would be lol.

If they really want to 'Save Winnipeg parks' (which is ridiculous considering they have some of the best park access in the city) then they should look at ways to improve this existing space, remove or rethink the gravel parking lot and look towards an improved green space.

But no, in the end, this anger over the loss of 'green space' is just anger over the loss of an SFU disguised as greenspace.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 3:43 AM

It's definitely dumb that people are complaining about a build like this, but with that being said, who the heck would want to live in that spot? Absolutely nothing you can walk to from there... and I'm a Shaftesbury graduate so I would know lol. I mean yeah you've got a park, but that's literally it. Want a coffee? Drive. Want groceries? Drive. Want to not be stuck in the middle of nowhere off a barren stretch of Grant? Drive.

There are so many better places for builds like this IMO. We need to keep beefing up St Boniface, Corydon, West End, and a dozen other urban neighbourhoods more than sticking low-rises in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Gravity Wins; Jun 22, 2022 at 3:59 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan