HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:55 PM

Seems crazy! I was born in 85. So I'm going to crack the old hill here right away! I don't even know if 30 is still considered over the hill or not.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:52 PM

Man were people square back in the day. Then again, maybe we really were all dangerous badasses. All I can think when I see teenagers is how milquetoast they look. Kids these days don't even smoke cigarettes.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:57 PM

Smoking isn't cool anymore. Staring at your iPhone is what kids do at parties these days. I don't know if that's good or bad for society. No smoking, good. iPhone, bad.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I'm sure it would, feel free to open one! There's 2 pinball machine in the Glenwood hockey rink (old st.vital), my kids and I play them when we are there. Modern hi tech video games have taken over from pinball machines.
Glenwood hockey rink huh? Thanks for the tip. I will go there tommrow!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Retro seems to be cool at the moment, but yeah, the old seedy downtown pinball arcade would not be a huge draw in this day and age. However, an upscale lounge or pub with vintage pinball machines could be successful. Do any of the bowling alleys or billiard rooms have attached arcades? Some used to back in the day. What is now Bourbon Street on Vaughan used to have an arcade. Haven't been there in years, so I don't know if it still does.
Yes Authentic city, polo park bowling lanes and bourbon still have a small arcade but not much pinball and poorly maintained. The last true arcade in city limits, I believe was either phantom amusements in kildonan place shopping mall or the old international airport. Call me crazy but I used to go there just to visit the arcade. They had like 7 or 8 machines. As for being seedy, depends on the neighborhood perhaps. Every time I visit the pinball museum in LasVegas, I don't see any punks, just people who love the game. Hopefully I can win that lottomaxx. I will open a old style drive-in diner and arcade combo. Wether It makes money or not. Hope to see yall there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The old Ranch club down Pembina is turning into some kind of barcade. No pinball though and a terrible location.
What's bad about that location? Well served by transit (and likely about a 1 minute walk from a future rapid transit station), at the intersection of two major streets, and close to campus.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Smoking isn't cool anymore. Staring at your iPhone is what kids do at parties these days. I don't know if that's good or bad for society. No smoking, good. iPhone, bad.
They're both designed to relieve anxiety. One will just kill you eventually...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:48 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Awesome - my son and his buddy did all the software/hardware development on this.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...urce=d-tiles-3

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowghost View Post
Glenwood hockey rink huh? Thanks for the tip. I will go there tommrow!
yup, in hallway between gymnasium and rink

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:22 PM

The arcade at Grand Marais only closed 4-5 years ago I believe.

Closest thing we have to arcades now are at Cinema City Northgate, Silver City Polo Park and Silver City St. Vital, the latter being the biggest.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:35 PM

It's disappointing those places (Grand Marais, West Hawk, etc) don't have more going on in the winter. Some type of resort or something. I guess there just isn't a market. Such awesome places in the summer.. It's sad, too, that those places have closed in Grand Marais. It is true the arcade was open more recently. The mini golf course closed around the same time. The ice cream place next to Lanky's, the bakery, etc. are closed. Glad Lanky's is still open.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:18 PM

Quote:
It's disappointing those places (Grand Marais, West Hawk, etc) don't have more going on in the winter. Some type of resort or something. I guess there just isn't a market. Such awesome places in the summer.. It's sad, too, that those places have closed in Grand Marais. It is true the arcade was open more recently. The mini golf course closed around the same time. The ice cream place next to Lanky's, the bakery, etc. are closed. Glad Lanky's is still open.
Even the bigger summer resort towns are dead as doornails during the winter. I've been up to Gimli in the winter a few times over the years for conferences and weekend getaways... there is really not a whole lot to do up there during the snowy months; everything's closed.

Seems that if you have no skiing/snowboarding, you have a hard time attracting visitors in the winter.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:27 PM

Yeah, it's too bad. It hurts the summer development. You can't really get anything big off the ground cause you cant pay for it with 4 months use.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's too bad. It hurts the summer development. You can't really get anything big off the ground cause you cant pay for it with 4 months use.
Parks doesn't want it. They won't approve anything commercially within a provincial park that doesn't already exist and they won't approve any improvements that cue expansion. They also won't allow liquor service past 11:00 so it's difficult to generate the revenues that you need. I think I made mention of this when the Hawk burnt down; they were going to have an uphill battle rebuilding and returning to what they were because Parks wanted them shut down.

And it's mostly because Parks doesn't want to deal with the patrol and upkeep of everything. They cut nearly all their staff through the winter.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Seems crazy! I was born in 85. So I'm going to crack the old hill here right away! I don't even know if 30 is still considered over the hill or not.
Your done dude, It's all downhill from here..

Of course I'm talking about it in a purely buisness choice related aspect kinda age way..

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:49 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Parks doesn't want it.
This has always bothered me, more so since I visited Wasaga Beach a few years ago. There the street along the beach is lined with bars and resturants. Why not here?

Oh yeah...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:00 PM

I find that hunting, ice fishing among other winter activities and excursions to lodges/resorts geared to Winter getaways do quite well in Manitoba as a business venture. Of course these types of activities are not for the faint of heart if being cold is an issue and your heading to the Dominican as soon as the temp. drops. But many visitors do want the experience and it's quite lucrative for guides and individuals in the business.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I find that hunting, ice fishing among other winter activities and excursions to lodges/resorts geared to Winter getaways do quite well in Manitoba as a business venture. Of course these types of activities are not for the faint of heart if being cold is an issue and your heading to the Dominican as soon as the temp. drops. But many visitors do want the experience and it's quite lucrative for guides and individuals in the business.
I notice a fair number of Americans come here to hunt and fish.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I notice a fair number of Americans come here to hunt and fish.
That and perhaps Churchill are our tourism aces. Hunting and fishing are arguably the only parts of the tourism industry where you can have a bona fide world class experience in Manitoba... many Manitobans don't know this, but there are many high-end fly-in lodges in the north that cater exclusively to wealthy Americans, to the point that they do zero marketing locally.

I think it's the same thing in Sask. The US airlines that typically fly small regional jets to these parts sometimes have to upgauge in the fall to handle the big loads of hunters.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That and perhaps Churchill are our tourism aces. Hunting and fishing are arguably the only parts of the tourism industry where you can have a bona fide world class experience in Manitoba... many Manitobans don't know this, but there are many high-end fly-in lodges in the north that cater exclusively to wealthy Americans, to the point that they do zero marketing locally.

I think it's the same thing in Sask. The US airlines that typically fly small regional jets to these parts sometimes have to upgauge in the fall to handle the big loads of hunters.
This. This is what tourism in Manitoba is all about.

The only issue there's ever been with this tourism is that it's largely the domain of Americans both on the ownership side and the tourist side. Very few of these lodges are owned by Manitobans and most of these lodges won't take Canadian guests. The nice thing about them, however, is that they tend to hire local guides and they tend to source all their supplies locally.

But most of the other employment is either newfie or quebecer...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan