HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:30 AM

FYI hearing Air Canada office union are pushing for their employees to stay home due to the unsafe camps in front of their building. It’s so bad, just disgusting.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wages will need to go up to get aplicants i would imagin
My 17 y/o daughter makes close to $20 /hr in restaurant business. Get off the government programs and get your ass to work people

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Hope they have luck finding people. We are trying to hire IT, Finance, HR, stock room and not getting great applicants. Every restaurant I’ve been to recently has a “now hiring” sign. Buddy in the hotel industry can’t find people. I’m not sure if some people are still enjoying the government programs or what but this is really getting frustrated. Those programs need to stop for some people, not all just some
The unemployment rate on July 1 was 7.8%. Aka: almost everyone is off the programs and back at work or school. The issue is many people went back to new industries, or education to upskill and change careers. Hard hit sectors like hospitality and tourism are especially struggling to hire since many staff up on the industry after 4 lockdowns in Manitoba. Most people want to be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Wouldn’t it be nice to see skip the dishes build a mixed use skyscraper in the city here?! That would be a game changer for downtown.
Why would they do that when they have brand new offices in True North Square and only ~700 office staff here, hardly enough for a skyscraper. They other ~2000 Winnipeg staff are live ops (call centre) have been moved to WFH permanently.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
FYI hearing Air Canada office union are pushing for their employees to stay home due to the unsafe camps in front of their building. It’s so bad, just disgusting.
Are they working from home or just staying home and getting checks from the government?

Because it’s a good thing if companies are still going to offer working from home going forward imo.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 12:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
My 17 y/o daughter makes close to $20 /hr in restaurant business. Get off the government programs and get your ass to work people
thats unusual most places i see close to min wage

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
thats unusual most places i see close to min wage
If you work in a restaurant and access the tip pool I can see $20 Hr take home.
If your in a QSR then your correct with getting min wage or slightly over.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:12 PM

Quote:
I don't foresee Air Canada getting into a pointless argument they can't win over this... at some point they just shut it down and/or move the operation to another city. They are probably not thrilled with maintaining a big legacy operation in Winnipeg to begin with, and then you combine that with the squalor out in front of their offices, and at a certain point it makes sense to just get out of Dodge.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:36 PM

It could be that we see police move in and clear out the encampment as we've been seeing in Toronto, and is happening as I post this in Halifax. But I suspect Air Canada would want to make sure they have zero affiliation with that as it could be a PR nightmare.

For the record I'm not saying that that should happen, just that it seems to be a trend in Canada this summer.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
It could be that we see police move in and clear out the encampment as we've been seeing in Toronto, and is happening as I post this in Halifax. But I suspect Air Canada would want to make sure they have zero affiliation with that as it could be a PR nightmare.

For the record I'm not saying that that should happen, just that it seems to be a trend in Canada this summer.
That's what I mean... any kind of intervention will inevitably lead to sanctimonious anger and all kinds of nasty accusations. Far easier for AC to slip out in the dark of night, move the office to Montreal, Calgary or wherever, and not have to deal with this mess.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 6:10 PM

Shut down the park and put a building there already. Nice spot for a decent restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post

the opposite is happening in Winnipeg. Talk to a firefighter, they are putting fire out daily under bridges throughout the city. Memorial square and the million they fixed the fountain is surrounded by tents. is there a bus shelter along Portage or Main not being used as a sleeping quarters? (PS - hear there are empty beds at shelters, some of these people dont go).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 6:35 PM

I don't want a building built on top of it. It's actually a really nice space with big mature trees. It could use some love but it'd be such a shame to see it ripped up. Further the Free Press building along Carlton is so beautiful and if a tower ever gets built on the east Portage Place pad I think it could be a lovely space.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 7:40 PM
jammon member

Quote:
the opposite is happening in Winnipeg. Talk to a firefighter, they are putting fire out daily under bridges throughout the city. Memorial square and the million they fixed the fountain is surrounded by tents. is there a bus shelter along Portage or Main not being used as a sleeping quarters? (PS - hear there are empty beds at shelters, some of these people dont go).
It's just ridiculous that we have the WPS, Cadets and Downtown Biz and we can't handle this problem. With that being said, A/C employees are being complete a-holes; homelessness is an issue in every city and I feel like this is an issue of stigmatization as opposed to a real threat to safety.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
It's just ridiculous that we have the WPS, Cadets and Downtown Biz and we can't handle this problem. With that being said, A/C employees are being complete a-holes; homelessness is an issue in every city and I feel like this is an issue of stigmatization as opposed to a real threat to safety.
The explosion of homelessness in this city is directly related to the cheap meth that started to arrive here a couple years ago. That's when all this began. This is an drug use issue before it is a homeless issue. Whenever we figure out a way to treat meth users then maybe this will change. Until then, get used to it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 6:31 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
The explosion of homelessness in this city is directly related to the cheap meth that started to arrive here a couple years ago. That's when all this began. This is an drug use issue before it is a homeless issue. Whenever we figure out a way to treat meth users then maybe this will change. Until then, get used to it.
It's only partially true. Yes, the meth explosion has contributed to the homelessness issue, but the underpinning of that is mental health issues. Plus, meth has not been readily available since the pandemic because the majority of our meth comes from big producers now in Mexico and with the borders shut down over most of the last 18 months, it has forced users to other substances, such as alcohol.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
It's only partially true. Yes, the meth explosion has contributed to the homelessness issue, but the underpinning of that is mental health issues. Plus, meth has not been readily available since the pandemic because the majority of our meth comes from big producers now in Mexico and with the borders shut down over most of the last 18 months, it has forced users to other substances, such as alcohol.
Meth is still readily available. Purple or Pink Down are big too. A combination of heroin and fentanyl.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 1:35 AM

Quote:
I wonder what the other tenants in the Air Canada building like the large Canadian Tire Cloud Computer Center, Manitoba E-Health, LesNET, etc think about the building exterior being unsafe?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 1:39 PM

Payworks building a new head office in Waverley West. Get their own street name as well.

Last render shows a very large parking structure.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 3:11 PM

I don't think it's possible to have a more suburban looking office development than that one

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 3:22 PM

I wonder how long that office has been in the works? I wonder if we will see a post-covid upswing in suburban offices given that people may be doing more working from home at least on a partial basis making a central location less important, and also in part due to downtown's less than stellar current state?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan