HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I think those owners sold Memphis Taproom years ago. They still have Local 44 and Clarksville over in Spruce Hill.
Neighborhood lore has it that they divorced; one took Clarkeville and the other took Local44

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:14 PM

Figured id throw this out there, ive been on Avenue of the Arts a lot in the past few months and the ideas always hit me when Im there but I've never followed up. Would it be possible for the city the give avenue of the arts a small road diet? Idk if the can narrow the lanes but I've never seen it very busy traffic wise and I've felt like 5 or 4 lanes would really improve the streetscape. Would that be possible? Taking away 1 lane from each direction and landscaping the sidewalks and the median would be amazing, especially for that area since its really on the up lately (I think)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
Figured id throw this out there, ive been on Avenue of the Arts a lot in the past few months and the ideas always hit me when Im there but I've never followed up. Would it be possible for the city the give avenue of the arts a small road diet? Idk if the can narrow the lanes but I've never seen it very busy traffic wise and I've felt like 5 or 4 lanes would really improve the streetscape. Would that be possible? Taking away 1 lane from each direction and landscaping the sidewalks and the median would be amazing, especially for that area since its really on the up lately (I think)
Broad street is a state highway so I believe the city is prevented from making any changes on their own and PennDOT is notoriously terrible and disdainful of Philadelphia. So unfortunately this is very unlikely to happen, but you are certainly right that Broad Street would really benefit from an extreme road diet.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Broad street is a state highway so I believe the city is prevented from making any changes on their own and PennDOT is notoriously terrible and disdainful of Philadelphia. So unfortunately this is very unlikely to happen, but you are certainly right that Broad Street would really benefit from an extreme road diet.
Bus lanes would be a good start

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 12:41 AM

Quote:
you are correct that broad street and many others are state highways so the city has very little direct control. That said, some of the bike lane stuff downtown has happened on state highways so they will work with the city on new ideas, but it takes a long time and the city cannot do it solo. I seriously doubt broad street is going on a road diet either way.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 2:14 PM

Has anyone else who commutes by Regional Rail noticed an uptick in ridership recently? I take #6249, the morning express on the R6 Manayunk/Norristown Line, into work. I sat in the fifth car this morning, taking a two-seater. By the time we reached Wissahickon, it seemed like most seats in my car were taken. After East Falls, quite a few people were standing. This is in stark contrast to taking 6249 prior to September 2022 (when Comcast compelled its workers to come back to the office three days a week), when I could reasonably expect to find a seat in the first car. I also use this line pretty frequently on the weekends and have noticed a ridership uptick then as well.

I don't have the numbers off-hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Manayunk/Norristown Line is close to or beyond 60% of its pre-pandemic ridership.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:02 PM
Chris

Is there a weekly quota of anti-Sixers articles the Inquirer much reach?

Legal fight against Sixers arena develops in Chinatown as steering committee holds first meeting

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20230109.html

I've seen the same nonsense written 20 different ways and mostly from the same girl. Massarah Mikati, 25 from Ohio, been in Philadelphia for six months... Her bio... "I cover what makes Philadelphia great: our communities of color."... give me a break...

Wouldn't a reputable paper at least print both sides of the argument? Or perform a study about the current area, it's sad state, and the potential positives and negatives of this arena?...

I understand genuine concerns and the community wanting a say, but this blind negativity will do more harm than good. This is a chance to transform all of Market East, which is in arguably worse shape now than before the Fashion District.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:36 PM

There's a rumor that the Midwood 9th and Washington development is "paused." Inqy reporter was calling around local neighborhood groups looking for confirmation.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:40 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Has anyone else who commutes by Regional Rail noticed an uptick in ridership recently? I take #6249, the morning express on the R6 Manayunk/Norristown Line, into work. I sat in the fifth car this morning, taking a two-seater. By the time we reached Wissahickon, it seemed like most seats in my car were taken. After East Falls, quite a few people were standing. This is in stark contrast to taking 6249 prior to September 2022 (when Comcast compelled its workers to come back to the office three days a week), when I could reasonably expect to find a seat in the first car. I also use this line pretty frequently on the weekends and have noticed a ridership uptick then as well.

I don't have the numbers off-hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Manayunk/Norristown Line is close to or beyond 60% of its pre-pandemic ridership.
I pass by the Norristown Transportation Center and Elm St. Station often and the parking has been getting pretty full and the high speed line has been decently crowded as well.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Legal fight against Sixers arena develops in Chinatown as steering committee holds first meeting

I've seen the same nonsense written 20 different ways and mostly from the same girl. Massarah Mikati, 25 from Ohio, been in Philadelphia for six months... Her bio... "I cover what makes Philadelphia great: our communities of color."... give me a break...

Wouldn't a reputable paper at least print both sides of the argument? Or perform a study about the current area, it's sad state, and the potential positives and negatives of this arena?...

I understand genuine concerns and the community wanting a say, but this blind negativity will do more harm than good. This is a chance to transform all of Market East, which is in arguably worse shape now than before the Fashion District.
It's a 'by-right" proposal. They were considerate to ask, but they can do whatever the eff they want.

People are crazy.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
There's a rumor that the Midwood 9th and Washington development is "paused." Inqy reporter was calling around local neighborhood groups looking for confirmation.
Midwood moves so slow. They did the same thing with S12th street tower and now that project is above ground.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's a 'by-right" proposal. They were considerate to ask, but they can do whatever the eff they want.

People are crazy.
no horse is this race, but don't they want to build over Filbert st into the bus terminal requiring city council to strike the street?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

People are crazy.
Do you really think any proposal that would involve striking a street from the city grid and reconfiguring access to the city's main transportation hub in order to build an 18,000 seat arena is "by-right?"

The sixers will absolutely need numerous approvals and variances to move forward with this project. The idea that they could just decide to build it without any support from the city is absurd.

This is not to say I'm against the arena at all, but let's operate in reality here.

The fight over this arena is a microcosm of a similar sad fight that is playing out across the city. Because city government is unable or unwilling to create meaningful protections for residents who fear being priced out of their homes, these residents are left to just hope that prices don't go up. Which is basically just hoping that nothing improves. It's truly perverse that people see their neighborhoods improve and rather than be able to enjoy it, all they have is impending fear that it will mean their eventual displacement.

If the city had robust rent control, Chinatown would have nothing to worry about. No matter how much a new arena would bring new demand to the area, existing residents would be assured they would not be priced out their homes or businesses. They could celebrate the improvements in the area along with the rest of us.

I wish the activists in Chinatown would use their leverage to push for these types of protections instead of just trying to kill the arena. They may very well be successful in crushing these plans, they're clearly very organized and have succeeded in the past. But defeating the arena only gives them a short reprieve. Eventually another proposal will come down the road for the gallery and it will actually be a "by-right" development and they'll be powerless to stop it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:11 PM

How did "robust rent control" work in other US Cities when implemented?
Do you know what would actually better aid Chinatown in combating rent and property tax increases as a result of the stadium? More housing. Supply and demand dictates that if there is a large supply of housing in the area, rent can remain cheap.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Reporting on meetings or groups that are forming to stop the stadium isnt bias, its called reporting. There is a lot of activity going on amongst the anti stadium crowd. What "news' should they be reporting for the pro stadium crowd? Honestly, regular people arent really pushing for the CC stadium- you have several wealthy or powerful people going around saying this is a panacea, but there is no built in constituency for the stadium move. That's the way it is.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
How did "robust rent control" work in other US Cities when implemented?
Do you know what would actually better aid Chinatown in combating rent and property tax increases as a result of the stadium? More housing. Supply and demand dictates that if there is a large supply of housing in the area, rent can remain cheap.
More supply would be great, but you're ignoring the benefits of rent control in helping to make creating that supply possible.

Even studies arguing against rent control concede that such laws are incredibly effective at preventing displacement through rising rents. Their issues owe to inefficiencies that they create by making movement more difficult. Once in a rent controlled apartment there is enormous incentive not to leave and if your property is effected by rent control there is increased incentive to sell and for the property to end up no longer being a rental property at all. Because of this areas that are rent controlled often end up gentrifying faster and the prices for non rent controlled units go even higher.

Now some of these negative incentives that rent control creates can be fixed through thoughtful policy that allow more freedom of movement. But, some of these negative incentives are baked in. If robust rent control was introduced to Chinatown and very little additional supply was built an immigrant trying to get an affordable apartment in Chinatown in 2030 may very well have a much more difficult time doing so because of the unintended consequences of rent control.

This is why rent control works so well in conjunction with building more housing. Rent Control creates the safety net for current residents so that no longer fear being displaced. Because they no longer fear being displaced they are no longer fighting against development and improvement. Which makes increasing the supply easier.

Rent control would be a huge relief to residents across the city and severely tamp down on people fighting against development in their own communities. It would also make building new housing supply less profitable of course. But that's why you slash red tape and up zone everything and make building dense housing easier to try and offset that decrease in profitability so as to encourage developers to continue increasing supply.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
no horse is this race, but don't they want to build over Filbert st into the bus terminal requiring city council to strike the street?
Yes, they need changes made that require city involvement. SO the idea they can do whatever they want is nonsense. There are probably a bunch of ordinances needed to advance this project. They played it all wrong- they should have started with chinatown and tried to get them on board before announcing it to the world as if its a done deal. Stupid.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Rent control would be a huge relief to residents across the city and severely tamp down on people fighting against development in their own communities. It would also make building new housing supply less profitable of course. But that's why you slash red tape and up zone everything and make building dense housing easier to try and offset that decrease in profitability so as to encourage developers to continue increasing supply.
I would contest that residents of densifying neighborhoods would be suddenly onboard with new construction if rent control was implemented. I think a large part of their unhappiness comes not only from the pecuniary changes that gentrification would bring, but the demographic and aesthetic changes as well. People who have lived in the same neighborhood for 20+ years are not going to jump at the chance to suddenly have 5 over 1s built everywhere, for the reasons I mentioned above: the majority of new residents are chasing the white collar, well paying jobs that are currently on offer in American cities today (as opposed to the blue collar working class jobs of the early 1900s) and potentially have different cultures, tastes, habits, etc. I think you'd also be hard pressed to argue that most of what is built nowadays is in any way more aesthetically pleasing than the surrounding neighborhood. This isn't a slash at contemporary architecture styling, rather a slash at how cheap construction looks and feels in a neighborhood. You could show me a new Second-Empire building, but if it uses concrete panels instead of bricks, plastic siding, etc I would still say it looks out of place.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm happy that both of us see that the ultimate solution here to ensure that Chinatown residents stay where they are is to build more housing. However, instead of city-wide rent control, why not require the developer of the Stadium to build well-constructed, below market-rate homes on some of the vast sea of parking lots currently in Chinatown? Sell them to the existing Chinese diaspora and you've just ensured that they'll stay there for at least a generation.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Yeah. Personally I would VASTLY prefer the site to be developed like a the rest of CC urban fabric: towers with housing and office space. It really doesn't have to be stadium or nothing, East Market has proved it can be redeveloped without a gimmick.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
East Market has proved it can be redeveloped without a gimmick.
Has it? The two National towers haven't replaced District Taco or Wawa yet, and the Fashion District is an abject failure. Something needs to be done to ensure that the 1000 and 950 blocks are redeveloped sooner rather than later, and I'm not sure of a better way to do it than the stadium.
I don't doubt that if nothing happened, in 20 years both of those stretches would be gone and developed. I'm saying that we don't have 20 years. The place is a dump.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development