HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Many (not all) Junior A teams in Prairies are struggling to get seats in stands too and their crowds are 100-700 majority. I have very first hand knowledge of this for the MJ especially
I don't think any MJHL markets are realistically in a position to step up to the WHL. Maaaaybe Steinbach could pull it off (especially if there is no WHL in Winnipeg giving them at least a slight draw from that area), but they are just breaking ground on a new arena that is not up to WHL spec. And that's pretty much it.

The MJHL gets significantly less fan support than the other western Jr A leagues. Something like the situation in Penticton or Grande Prairie is beyond the wildest dreams of any MJHL teams. Even the SJHL draws better from what I can tell. The only MJHL teams that are even in the same league as most SK/AB/BC Jr A teams in terms of fan support and facilities are Dauphin and Portage. Soon Steinbach will join those ranks, I suppose.

I actually find it kind of amazing that the Blues and Freeze draw as poorly as they do. I go to the occasional game of theirs and it is literally just parents and girlfriends. 150 people is a good crowd... my kid's U11 games have more people in the stands. The funny thing is that the games are actually pretty entertaining and the hockey is decent.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think any MJHL markets are realistically in a position to step up to the WHL. Maaaaybe Steinbach could pull it off (especially if there is no WHL in Winnipeg giving them at least a slight draw from that area), but they are just breaking ground on a new arena that is not up to WHL spec. And that's pretty much it.

The MJHL gets significantly less fan support than the other western Jr A leagues. Something like the situation in Penticton or Grande Prairie is beyond the wildest dreams of any MJHL teams. Even the SJHL draws better from what I can tell. The only MJHL teams that are even in the same league as most SK/AB/BC Jr A teams in terms of fan support and facilities are Dauphin and Portage. Soon Steinbach will join those ranks, I suppose.

I actually find it kind of amazing that the Blues and Freeze draw as poorly as they do. I go to the occasional game of theirs and it is literally just parents and girlfriends. 150 people is a good crowd... my kid's U11 games have more people in the stands. The funny thing is that the games are actually pretty entertaining and the hockey is decent.
150, I've been to some I thinks there's 50, lol.

Virden, Steinbach & Winkler are full houses quite often too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 5:59 PM

What percentage of MJ players are pay to play? I would imagine most Americans because I don’t see these teams having extensive scouting down there so how else would they find these guys.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
150, I've been to some I thinks there's 50, lol.

Virden, Steinbach & Winkler are full houses quite often too.
No question the rural teams do better at the gate than the Winnipeg teams do. It's the biggest game in town in places like Neepawa, Dauphin, etc.

I don't expect the Winnipeg Blues to pack CLC but I would have figured 500-600 a game would be within the realm of possibility.

Who know, maybe if the ICE leave town the Blues and Freeze can try and capture the junior hockey market that the ICE tried to establish

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
What percentage of MJ players are pay to play? I would imagine most Americans because I don’t see these teams having extensive scouting down there so how else would they find these guys.
it's a secret society and not many teams openly talk about it. it's not a per player things, typically it's whole team pays the same. Up until 5 years ago, majority paid nothing then Blues and Freeze started charging and now other teams are starting to charge and with attendance dropping it continues.

Most teams supply sticks, helmets, gloves.

Freeze & Blues are $8000-$10000 - players get use of top of the line fitness facilitites at The Rink, trainers, etc.

Selkirk $7500, they draft many Winnipeg kids to save on billet fees

Portage is $0 I believe.

Niverville is $0 and you must live in town with billet (even if u live 20 minutes away in city).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
it's a secret society and not many teams openly talk about it. it's not a per player things, typically it's whole team pays the same. Up until 5 years ago, majority paid nothing then Blues and Freeze started charging and now other teams are starting to charge and with attendance dropping it continues.

Most teams supply sticks, helmets, gloves.

Freeze & Blues are $8000-$10000 - players get use of top of the line fitness facilitites at The Rink, trainers, etc.

Selkirk $7500, they draft many Winnipeg kids to save on billet fees

Portage is $0 I believe.

Niverville is $0 and you must live in town with billet (even if u live 20 minutes away in city).
Jebus cripes.

My kid loves hockey. He is extremely enthusiastic but not the most talented. Something like the MJHL is realistically his NHL (not trying to stifle his dreams, just trying be grounded, ha). I always thought it would be cool if he made it there someday. But at those prices? Maybe I will push him to baseball or curling instead

Those kids on the Freeze paying $10K a season to get drilled every night. Man.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:19 PM
the first stamp is free

even youngest AA kids are probably costing their parents $5k a season. And that probably doesn't factor in spring leagues and summer camps.

I heard AAA can run upwards of $15k once team fees are compiled.

It's definitely not a poor man's sport at the higher levels.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:38 PM

Damn. I put my kid into spring hockey last season after minor hockey was done... when all was said and done it cost me roughly $2,500 for two extra months of hockey, including one out of town tournament. I thought that was too much to pay

$15K for AAA, though! Yowtch.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Jebus cripes.

My kid loves hockey. He is extremely enthusiastic but not the most talented. Something like the MJHL is realistically his NHL (not trying to stifle his dreams, just trying be grounded, ha). I always thought it would be cool if he made it there someday. But at those prices? Maybe I will push him to baseball or curling instead

Those kids on the Freeze paying $10K a season to get drilled every night. Man.
Put him in curling you won’t regret it. Only sport I can think of where anyone can just sign up for playdowns and potentially be a Canadian champion. Can’t just sign up to win the Stanley Cup

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 11:45 PM
BANNED

in the ajhl, none of the teams are actually in edmonton, just a few of the surrounding suburbs. I think Calgary is different. I feel like a team in Transcona with the Transcona naming could do well, same with maybe St Norbert or St James

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Damn. I put my kid into spring hockey last season after minor hockey was done... when all was said and done it cost me roughly $2,500 for two extra months of hockey, including one out of town tournament. I thought that was too much to pay

$15K for AAA, though! Yowtch.
And it's all about getting a NCAA scholarship to some D level New England university in D3.

If they played house league and put the difference in a RESP could go to most colleges on continent with that money.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 2:45 PM

Hold on, AAA is NOT $15k. My kid plays U18 AAA, 2nd year, which is use to be called Provincial Midget, highest level you can play before Mjhl or Whl. He also played U15AAA for 2 years, one year being Covid. We pay $6800 and you can get $600 back if you sell your fundraising calendars. That includes numerous bus rides province wide, hotel and post game meals after every road game (even if not staying the night).

I don't know for sure but I use to be on Board and on average 2-4 players on every team apply for subsidy from Hockey Wpg, Hockey Canada and others that covers 50-80% fees.

One of the other u18 AAA city teams pays $8500 bu they flying to tourney in BC.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 2:51 PM

Our last year team now has 2 kids in WHL (limited ice time), 3 in MJHL, 3 in MMJHL and the rest returned. This year team is way better and I expect ore will be in MJ next year.

Unfortunately some MJ teams are not loyal to Manitoba kids, it's unfortunate but factual. Steinbach and Niverville have 3-5 only, whereas Selkirk has 3-5 non MB kids.

Portage is hosting the Centenial Cup this year, that will be huge as they are guaranteed a spot in it. They traded away some young talent so they can stack up and make a good run. It'll be exciting to watch.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 3:28 PM

All u18 AAA games have admission fee of $10, but most teams hand out passes for parents but still draw decent crowds.

All games have camera operator and are streamed on HockeyTV, we payannual subscription. So when he goes to Thompson or SwanRiver we sit on couch to watch if we don't want to go. Technology has come a long way. E gets his game stats 1-2 days after. Theres software that analyze video and sends him report with his total on ice, PP, PK time. Plus shots, hits for, hits against, heat map of on ice, shot spray chart, etc. Really cool stuff, in my opinion for a 16 yr old.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 3:36 PM
BANNED

With costs for hockey parents spiralling out of control it’s no wonder that the NHL is becoming mostly US born players with the US having a much larger population that can support their kids hockey dreams!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 3:40 PM

The cost of hockey has really turned me off the sport over the years as a kid I was much more into it but with it such an expensive country club elite vibe to it its no small wonder its mostly former nhl players kids who can afford to make the big league now. I still watch hockey from time to time but enjoy football way more and its still more of an everyman sport to hockey which has become like golf or tennis only accessible to a few.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
With costs for hockey parents spiralling out of control it’s no wonder that the NHL is becoming mostly US born players with the US having a much larger population that can support their kids hockey dreams!
USA sports is way different, they go "all in" no matter the sport. I know a USA guy paying $20k year to play football at 15 yr old. All chasing that NCAA D1 team. Same with baseball or hockey or swim or other.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 8:48 PM

In the latest dramatic episode of "As the ICE Turns", the Winnipeg ICE and the Western Hockey League have denied the Winnipeg Free Press report claiming that the team has been fined half a million dollars.

https://winnipegice.ca/article/the-w...cember-14-2022

Quote:
Statement from the Western Hockey League

The Western Hockey League today issued the following statement regarding the article “No end in sight for ICE arena saga” published Wednesday, December 14 in the Winnipeg Free Press:

Reports of the Western Hockey League issuing a fine against the Winnipeg ICE and its ownership group are false and inaccurate. The Winnipeg ICE have assembled a highly-competitive team this season and the WHL continues to work with the ICE regarding a solution to the Club’s long-term plans for a suitable facility in Winnipeg. Further information will be available in the new year.

There will be no further comment on this matter at this time.

Statement from the Winnipeg ICE

The Winnipeg ICE were not and have never been fined by the Western Hockey League.

We would also like to clarify that, despite the clear implication by Mr. Sawatzky in the article, the Winnipeg ICE were not asked to comment or confirm any facts relating to these alleged fines. For the Winnipeg Free Press to make such an explosive allegation without even attempting to contact the Winnipeg ICE or the Western Hockey League to confirm these allegations is deeply troublesome. It’s disappointing that the Winnipeg Free Press would choose to report this inaccurate information as a “confirmed” fact, as opposed to taking the time to be sure they had their facts correct. Beyond this, we find it even more concerning that they would imply they took the proper steps to confirm their story when they clearly did not.

We continue to be excited about the team we have built and are excited for the Battle of Manitoba game tonight.
Damn. So who are we supposed to believe?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Damn. So who are we supposed to believe?
Apparently we are supposed to believe the ICE and the WHL, because the Free Press printed a front page retraction of the fine story in today's edition.

Not a great look for the Free Press.

I feel kind of bad about this situation because the Free Press is the only local media outlet that provides good coverage of the ICE and I don't want to see that threatened, but at the same time the Free Press really stepped in it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Not sure where you're getting that from. According to The Hockey Writers 41% of active players are Canadian and 28% are American. In the 2022 draft 39% of draft picks were Canadian, while 22% were American.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan