HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 8:51 PM

More filters to search diagrams

I think would be good to add more filters into the search diagram section, like buildings architectonic styles, uses, architects and more things

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 7:38 AM
Illustrator

Architects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_Parca View Post
I think would be good to add more filters into the search diagram section, like buildings architectonic styles, uses, architects and more things
I was thinking the last days if I should start a Thread for requesting a search for Architects and didn't do it. But thank you for starting this discussion, Parca!

I think architectural styles is a little bit difficult, since there are a lot of inconsistencies in the database.

But I think it would be important to be able to search for Architects. Architects should get a more important role in the database. Would be nice to be able to get all buildings from Mies van der Rohe or see all skyscraper from SOM over all the years for the sake of a placative example...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 8:36 PM
Website Manager

That would be neat. The internal building database system isn't set up to be able to search by architect though. The architect information that is held in the database is contained in a large text field with a lot of other text. Enabling searching of this data field would be too inefficient.

I am working on a long term project though which will give the capability to search by architect.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 10:52 PM

Also a filter by "uses" like residential,commercial,offices would be very usseful, also a maximum or minimun amount of floors like the one for meters

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 7:04 AM
Ukrainian moderator

I understand Dylan that searching by architects is heavy for database, and I think it is not necessary. But searching by use would be handy and wouldn't be heavy, especially by primary use, because inside database it will search only integer IDs of uses

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 10:25 AM
Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
[...]Enabling searching of this data field would be too inefficient.

I am working on a long term project though which will give the capability to search by architect.
I can understand that in the way the architects data is handled right now it's too inefficient... But your long term project sounds exciting! Are you gonna update the way the database works or whats the deal with the long term project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemco View Post
I understand Dylan that searching by architects is heavy for database, and I think it is not necessary. But searching by use would be handy and wouldn't be heavy, especially by primary use, because inside database it will search only integer IDs of uses
I get your point technically but I don't get your point regarding the necessity. This is a database and diagram site about buildings where you can search for an illustrator of a drawing but not the architect of the building... where you can have buildings sorted by nations, cities, in chronological order by structural types, regardless of where they stand on this planet but not by the minds creating the building. It might be more difficult to realize because of the ID structure of the Database and it might not be the most requested feature, but I think it is at least as relevant as being able to search for primary uses (which also aren't always consistent on the site/don't always match up with reality just as the structural terminology).

But I guess we can all agree that a few more options to search the database and create diagrams could be nice...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 10:33 PM
I am the law!

Architects do not have a spot in the database. They are only mentioned in the comment section.

mapped and unmapped

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 2:09 AM
Illstrator / Editor

Smile

It needs a way to view the diagram separately from the office and residence.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams