HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 2:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

I certainly know people who have had stuff stolen from their hotel rooms by staff. Nothing too bad like a passport or credit card, but liquor and loose cash. In some countries it's pretty common.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 6:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i dont mind airbnb in my city and building as long as they follow what i think are reasonable rules for nyc, basically that either the owner has to be present or you have to rent the place out for a month or more.

no one wants their apt bldg turned into a hotel.

this means those rules need to be followed and enforced too of course by the tenants, landlords and the city.

and yeah the rental rooms and apts should be taxed and insured same as any hotel, but i am not sure how that works here, if it does.

https://qz.com/1084108/1084108/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

another nyc crackdown on shady and illegal airbnb rentals:

New York City Alleges Illegal Airbnb Hotel Ring at Manhattan Building

Property owner is accused of letting hosts operate illegal short-term rentals in Manhattan

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...ng-11547149562

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
another nyc crackdown on shady and illegal airbnb rentals:

New York City Alleges Illegal Airbnb Hotel Ring at Manhattan Building

Property owner is accused of letting hosts operate illegal short-term rentals in Manhattan

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...ng-11547149562
Doesn't seem whatever NYC was doing worked:

Airbnbs Outnumber New York City Apartments in Hot Housing Market
Michael Tobin, Bloomberg News

(Bloomberg) -- The number of short-term rentals in New York City is outpacing the number of available apartments, putting a pinch on renters who are looking for space in a hot housing market.

The total number of active short-term rentals in the city’s five boroughs -- those listed on Airbnb Inc. and Expedia Group Inc.’s Vrbo -- has reached more than 22,000, according to third-party data tracker AirDNA. Meanwhile, rental inventory in Manhattan, Brooklyn and a portion of Queens hovers just over 7,500, according to an April report from broker Douglas Elliman Real Estate. AirDNA defines active listings as those with one reserved or available day in the last month....

....Critics say that Airbnb’s business model makes homes unaffordable in large cities that are attractive for tourists. Airbnb specializes in urban markets, while its competitor Vrbo focuses more on whole vacation homes. New York has tightened some restrictions on short-term rentals, requiring platforms like Airbnb to share hosting and listing data with the city if they want to rent out their home for fewer than 30 days. New York also requires that a host be present in the home if it’s rented out for fewer than 30 days ...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/airbnbs-...rket-1.1767755

AirBnB is a cancer on urban life IMHO.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Doesn't seem whatever NYC was doing worked:

Airbnbs Outnumber New York City Apartments in Hot Housing Market
Michael Tobin, Bloomberg News

(Bloomberg) -- The number of short-term rentals in New York City is outpacing the number of available apartments, putting a pinch on renters who are looking for space in a hot housing market.

The total number of active short-term rentals in the city’s five boroughs -- those listed on Airbnb Inc. and Expedia Group Inc.’s Vrbo -- has reached more than 22,000, according to third-party data tracker AirDNA. Meanwhile, rental inventory in Manhattan, Brooklyn and a portion of Queens hovers just over 7,500, according to an April report from broker Douglas Elliman Real Estate. AirDNA defines active listings as those with one reserved or available day in the last month....

....Critics say that Airbnb’s business model makes homes unaffordable in large cities that are attractive for tourists. Airbnb specializes in urban markets, while its competitor Vrbo focuses more on whole vacation homes. New York has tightened some restrictions on short-term rentals, requiring platforms like Airbnb to share hosting and listing data with the city if they want to rent out their home for fewer than 30 days. New York also requires that a host be present in the home if it’s rented out for fewer than 30 days ...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/airbnbs-...rket-1.1767755

AirBnB is a cancer on urban life IMHO.
Seems like they aren't excluding people renting out extra rooms. I'm extremely skeptical that entire apartment short-term rentals outnumber apartments available for lease.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Seems like they aren't excluding people renting out extra rooms. I'm extremely skeptical that entire apartment short-term rentals outnumber apartments available for lease.
Isnt this semantics though? An available room for rent is the same as someone renting an entire apt in my experience. Both will alleviate a housing crisis that AirBnB is exacerbating. Especially in NYC where most people have some form of (a) roommate(s) even in a studios/1bd. When I lived there I knew 4 people who subdivided a 1bd in Peter Cooper Village .

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Isnt this semantics though? An available room for rent is the same as someone renting an entire apt in my experience. Both will alleviate a housing crisis that AirBnB is exacerbating. Especially in NYC where most people have some form of (a) roommate(s) even in a studios/1bd. When I lived there I knew 4 people who subdivided a 1bd in Peter Cooper Village .
No... owner occupied rentals means that the apartment is occupied and not available to lease. It's an apples to oranges comparison to analyze stats on occupied units against the unoccupied rental inventory.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No... owner occupied rentals means that the apartment is occupied and not available to lease. It's an apples to oranges comparison to analyze stats on occupied units against the unoccupied rental inventory.
What are you saying? In most cases an AirBNB is not owner occupied and will most likely never be. Just look at the responses in this thread. It is naive to think just because NYC mandates an owner live in the unit for some period out of the year that this is occurring. Lastly, in a housing shortage any available room or apt for rent whether via a broker or AirBNB is still a unit on the market the only formality differentiating the two is a lease.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
What are you saying? In most cases an AirBNB is not owner occupied and will most likely never be. Just look at the responses in this thread. It is naive to think just because NYC mandates an owner live in the unit for some period out of the year that this is occurring. Lastly, in a housing shortage any available room or apt for rent whether via a broker or AirBNB is still a unit on the market the only formality differentiating the two is a lease.
Short-term rentals are illegal in NYC unless the primary tenant is present during the stay. NYC requires that Airbnb provide rental data to the city on a monthly basis. There are probably illegal rentals happening, but it's extremely unlikely that it is a majority of the open inventory in the city.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:17 PM
An Optimistic Realist

My most recent experiences with Airbnb have been in San Francisco. It was nice being in a neighborhood that regular residents live in and it was much cheaper than a hotel. But I can understand the issues concerning it, especially in a housing market like the Bay Area's.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:43 PM
them bones

I am an unapologetic hotel snob and have been for years. That being said, particularly as my children have gotten older (now 6 and 10), the idea of staying in a suite with a pullout (if you can find one) or a double queen with those two little monkeys has lost nearly all of its appeal. It's also expensive. About a year ago we finally started using these various rental companies and I have to say, for a family, it's completely worth it. And usually much cheaper than a hotel room with much less privacy. The joy of being able to stay in spectacular neighborhoods in unique spaces for less money, but not be subject to other peoples children running up and down the hallways, nasty hotel pools, gross carpet and bed sheets, and generally just OK service is much more interesting to me.

Hotels are great for getting away with the wife, enjoying the amenities, and doing nothing. But for a family trip I'd take AirBnB (or comparable) any day.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I certainly know people who have had stuff stolen from their hotel rooms by staff. Nothing too bad like a passport or credit card, but liquor and loose cash. In some countries it's pretty common.

Before 9/11, you could travel to the Bahamas with a birth certificate. Mine was stolen by a maid.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 7:34 AM

I think that Airbnbs are fine, as long as the hosts pay applicable hotel taxes and abide by local regulations on what can/can't be rented short term, etc.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 6:11 AM

Kind of a weird note about Airbnbs: Could they reduce noise?

Is it possible that people now throw parties at Airbnbs in designated neighborhoods that allow noise, as opposed to in their own homes, which may or may not be in an appropriate area for such a thing?

I realize that this point is 90% dumb, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 2:14 AM

There’s a block in my neighborhood that has a row of Airbnbs. It’s kind of perfect because it’s bounded on two sides by Chicago L and metra tracks. Breweries across the street and auto shops behind the airbnbs. They’re a bother to no one and I’d recommend friends and family stay there.

But I do not allow Airbnb in my building. People ask, the answer is no. This is not a hotel, it’s an apartment building. If I catch a listing, there will be fines. My insurance would go up with short term rentals

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 2:16 PM

You can google translate this article about a neighbour several houses away from me who rents this house as Airbnb. Can’t tell if they were angry neighbours or worse. Lol

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...endie-criminel

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions