HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
The UCI Nations Cup is returning to Milton from May 12-15. It's a pretty important in track cycling with only three events in the series each year. It's well worthwhile checking out for people in the GTA/SWO - it's relatively affordable and a single night packs in a lot of racing.

https://tncmilton.com/
Glad to hear. I went to the first one. Can't believe how close you are to these top class athletes. Close enough to high five them. Don't know if it'll still be like that though.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 5:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It has been officially announced that the 2023 World Junior Hockey Championships has been jointly awarded to Halifax and Moncton.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Glad to hear. I went to the first one. Can't believe how close you are to these top class athletes. Close enough to high five them. Don't know if it'll still be like that though.
When the Edmonton Track opens there could be a nice little North American tour.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:03 PM

So here is something that never gets done. 3 mayjor events at the same venue in the same year. This was anounced a while back but I never posted.

World Rowing Awarded St. Catharines the 2024 World Rowing Senior, Under 23 and Junior Championships All on the Canadian Henley Course. The Welland aquatic centre will be a training venue as well. Add to this the Canadian Henley regatta that Makes St Catherines a hot place that summer. I should book a place now since most of my relatives have passed on. May end up volunteering though. And have friends that have already said they are flying over from Europe for it.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It has been officially announced that the 2023 World Junior Hockey Championships has been jointly awarded to Halifax and Moncton.
Congrats! That should be a very exciting event.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 7:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Pretty exciting IIHF world hockey championship final between Canada and Finland going on right now, if anyone is interested.

It's a gorgeous day and I spent all morning and half the afternoon outside, but just came and I checked out the game.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pretty exciting IIHF world hockey championship final between Canada and Finland going on right now, if anyone is interested.
Shitty ending though. Canadian gets his stick between Finns legs, Finn dives then proceeds to trip Canadian player with his hand. Only Canadian gets bogus penalty, Finns score in OT. Cheap victory over great Canadian comeback.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Shitty ending though. Canadian gets his stick between Finns legs, Finn dives then proceeds to trip Canadian player with his hand. Only Canadian gets bogus penalty, Finns score in OT. Cheap victory over great Canadian comeback.
Yes, the Canadians were incredibly gutsy.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Pretty awesome day for Leylah Fernandez and Félix Auger-Aliassime in Paris.

Even though Félix lost, he gave Rafael Nadal all he could handle.

And Leylah is still in it!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 4:24 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton Oil Kings WHL Champions!

Looking forward to watching the Memorial Cup.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 11:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Shawinigan are champions of the Q.

Wait till you guys see their jersey!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Edmonton Oil Kings WHL Champions!

Looking forward to watching the Memorial Cup.
Congratulations EOK! They steamrolled my beloved Winnipeg ICE in the conference finals

The Oil Kings are certainly a team for the ages. They won their title in the boardroom with some amazing deadline moves just as much as they did on the ice. They would have been the favourites even before the trades, but once they added Prokop, Guhle and Sourdif there was not going to be any stopping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Shawinigan are champions of the Q.

Wait till you guys see their jersey!
Every now and again I check hockey team websites to find clearance jerseys to buy for my son who has a bit of a collection, he likes to wear them at the outdoor rink or to team practices or whatever. At one point Shawinigan had a tempting sale, but I looked at the jersey closely, and reluctantly had to pass on the deal, just not worth the hassle

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:56 PM

OHL finals going the distance, Wednesday night Game 7 in Hamilton.

Heavily favored from the beginning (I can reasonably understand why) and I've been containing my homer-ism as much as possible, but I never did completely buy into the underdog roll that the Windsor Spitfires were forced into.

Eastern and Western conference styles of play have been totally different for years and years and the mighty Bulldogs are seeing it first hand, for the first time all season.

Game 7 for the final spot in the Mem Cup.... GO SPITS GO!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 4:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Every now and again I check hockey team websites to find clearance jerseys to buy for my son who has a bit of a collection, he likes to wear them at the outdoor rink or to team practices or whatever. At one point Shawinigan had a tempting sale, but I looked at the jersey closely, and reluctantly had to pass on the deal, just not worth the hassle
From strictly visual and design perspectives, it's actually one of the nicest logos in the CHL, I'd argue.

The team has been questioned before this about here in Quebec, but the logo is actually the result of a re-branding that only took place in 2015. So far the owners have been quite defiant about it, and claim that Indigenous communities in their region were consulted and were supportive of the logo.

They also have alternative jerseys: one which has another depiction of an Indigenous person mixed in with a large C, and the other is a more "retro" one with a giant S and no Indigenous imagery.

The Memorial Cup will be in Saint John NB this year, so perhaps it won't be as touchy an issue as if it was on the Prairies.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 4:23 PM

By contrast, Winnipeg's last WHL team, the Warriors of the early 1980s, had a logo that would be considered "problematic" by today's standards...

Moose Jaw inherited the team and they have kind of been evolving the team's identity towards a bastardized rip-off version of the Manitoba Moose logo that plays off the city's name.

i.e. from this

to this

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I do the same thing at pawn stores. I once found an old Prince Albert Raiders jersey in Saskatoon, the one with the Arab man on skates. I bought it. Will never wear it in public (or probably ever), but it's a neat piece of history.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

They held a parade and pep rally for the Cataractes in Shawinigan yesterday.

Among other things it featured is the inflatable structure in this photo, which I saw in news reports:

https://cataractes.qc.ca/article/cal...ting-2016-2017

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I had front row tickets to the game - lots of fun. nearly 12,000 fans in attendance, a rare opening of the upper bowl at FirstOntario Centre.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:32 PM

The Edmonton Oil Kings seem unstoppable to me, but I have no idea how the OHL and QMJHL champion teams will stack up. I will be paying close attention to the Memorial Cup once it gets going.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada