HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
It really makes no sense to go to the GTH though. Why would you go build a massive plant on developed land for $256,000 per acre when you could go by a quarter section on a rail line for $5,000 per acre? By the time they service the site they'll would pay like half the cost of the GTH.
I guess the point would be to NOT charge that much to make Cargill go to the GTH. Lol

Ps. Anyone know what deal the Brad Wall government made to get Loblaws to choose the GTH? I’ve always wondered what major incentive was used...no land taxes maybe?

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I guess the point would be to NOT charge that much to make Cargill go to the GTH. Lol

Ps. Anyone know what deal the Brad Wall government made to get Loblaws to choose the GTH? I’ve always wondered what major incentive was used...no land taxes maybe?
Yeah but then if they charge even less it kind of proves the NDP's point. But then again I think the entire GTH should be handed over to the City of Regina debt-free and treated like all other industrial parks.

My assumption is that Loblaw's was given some tax breaks plus a promise of the bypass.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah but then if they charge even less it kind of proves the NDP's point. But then again I think the entire GTH should be handed over to the City of Regina debt-free and treated like all other industrial parks.

My assumption is that Loblaw's was given some tax breaks plus a promise of the bypass.
I totally agree. Making it a Regina west industrial park ran by the city would be smart with comparable rates to Ross Industrial etc.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
That loop is going to be a time saver. Glad they are finally using some sense to design these interchanges. Hopefully they actually put a couple loops in when replacing the Wascana Parkway over Ring Rd interchange (is that still a plan?).

Ps How did you find this project? That website sucks.
Some guy posted them on Twitter a few months back from SaskTenders. I saved them because I found the images interesting and the topic came up here recently and voila.

And I agree, a couple of loops at Wascana Parkway/Ring Rd would be amazing. Especially one where east bound traffic heading north can loop around and under the overpass instead of making a left-turn at the east end of the bridge.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Of course. I was focusing on the tandem trucks and B-Trains and the need for an access that doesn't go through Victoria Ave.
I'd love to see those trucks use Highway 46 and exiting at Balgonie instead of going to Regina, but I doubt that will happen. Trucks are still coming into town on Victoria Ave while enroute to Hwy 11 via Ring Road instead of taking the Bypass all the way around. Although, it's possible many of those trucks are stopping at the Husky (now Esso, I guess) House for sleep/fuel/food before heading north.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
I'd love to see those trucks use Highway 46 and exiting at Balgonie instead of going to Regina, but I doubt that will happen. Trucks are still coming into town on Victoria Ave while enroute to Hwy 11 via Ring Road instead of taking the Bypass all the way around. Although, it's possible many of those trucks are stopping at the Husky (now Esso, I guess) House for sleep/fuel/food before heading north.

There is no reason for trucks to go all the way to the Esso when there is a massive truck stop at Balgonie.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 5:35 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The City of Regina wants nothing to do with the GTH. Even at zero debt, the maintenance costs are far higher than any property taxes that would be coming in.

It's a failed project and the burden should be borne by those that created it (Sask Party).
I doubt that's really true, but even if so that's solvable by a payment formula which decreases as the land is sold.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 9:10 PM

If the global transportation hub can accommodate the $350 million canola crushing plant I’m sure things will turn around for the GTH well here’s hoping along with hopefully a Amazon warehouse

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
There is no reason for trucks to go all the way to the Esso when there is a massive truck stop at Balgonie.
I mean, look at the parking lot next time you're in the area. Packed day and night.

I'm guessing some companies have fuel cards for Esso and have contracts with them for fuel.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:40 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
It really makes no sense to go to the GTH though. Why would you go build a massive plant on developed land for $256,000 per acre when you could go by a quarter section on a rail line for $5,000 per acre? By the time they service the site they'll would pay like half the cost of the GTH.
Actually went by to the GTH on my way home from the Cineplex over at the Southland mall: It is a real dead zone for sure, and pretty apparent that the Saskatchewan Party made a huge blunder with this.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 4:52 AM

Quote:
I mean, look at the parking lot next time you're in the area. Packed day and night.

I'm guessing some companies have fuel cards for Esso and have contracts with them for fuel.
I recall reading that a company had bought land at the Pinkie Road - TCH interchange with plans to build a truck stop there. Don't know if there has been any more information on that.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Actually went by to the GTH on my way home from the Cineplex over at the Southland mall: It is a real dead zone for sure, and pretty apparent that the Saskatchewan Party made a huge blunder with this.
Some people would say the SaskParty got exactly what they wanted from the GTH: friends made some money off land deals and they got their $2 billion dollar P3 bypass.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 9:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Some people would say the SaskParty got exactly what they wanted from the GTH: friends made some money off land deals and they got their $2 billion dollar P3 bypass.
Yup, while telling us they don’t pick winners and losers. I can’t believe people fall for their shit. Dirty politics works and it’s why the left has it tough going up against such bad faith actors. We better not talk too much politics tho, cuz we might hurt some feelings.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:26 PM

$350-million Wheat Straw Pulp Mill announced for Regina

West of the city. Construction to begin in 2022.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
$350-million Wheat Straw Pulp Mill announced for Regina

West of the city. Construction to begin in 2022.
When did Regina become the mill/crushing plant capital of Canada? All these plants announced in such a short period.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthgirl View Post
$350-million wheat straw pulp mill announced for regina

west of the city. Construction to begin in 2022.
gth?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 4:12 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
When did Regina become the mill/crushing plant capital of Canada? All these plants announced in such a short period.
Well, we've been crushing the souls of our citizens for so long, it was time to branch out.

Decent news for the region.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 4:52 PM

This is unbelievable bring them on more are coming Regina is on its way back to becoming the economic leader of the province

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:21 PM
BANNED

Are we heading for a boom again? I honestly didn't see this coming but I guess the world needs to eat!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan