HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:17 AM

weird that they've wasted so much of summer, just more pouring to be done in winter

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:26 AM

^^^^ Just one of a litany of weird things about this project.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 11:07 PM

Lots of equipment moving on to the site today and ground moving is definitely complete. I didn’t particularly see them move any of the side walls, so I would say everything has been going according to plan and maybe the Broadway project or another project of Baydo’s was slowing them down manpower/equipment wise. I’ll post a pic once more action starts up later this week (if the weather cools down - they’re going to start having to work nights at this rate!).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Lots of equipment moving on to the site today and ground moving is definitely complete. I didn’t particularly see them move any of the side walls, so I would say everything has been going according to plan and maybe the Broadway project or another project of Baydo’s was slowing them down manpower/equipment wise. I’ll post a pic once more action starts up later this week (if the weather cools down - they’re going to start having to work nights at this rate!).
I have heard from a very reliable source that everything has not been going to plan and that several top engineers in this city have been called to investigate the site and neighboring buildings over the past couple months.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:35 AM

Generators, Mobile Crane, and a lot of other equipment has arrived the last two days. I assume some major action will be beginning soon!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 6:18 PM

A bit of mobile crane action today. When the crane is up it’s actually kind of freaky how many neighbours the condos next to it will have, since this crane is only jacked up to the ~18th floor? This build is also massive, and the amount of shelter it’s going to provide to fifth ave from wind in the winter is going to dramatically improve the enjoyability of this area.

Less wind, more neighbours (advocacy for a better living environment of the most population dense area of the city), and COMPETITION for landlords (borderline slumlords in a few select condos in this area). I assume condo fees will increase in the neighbouring builds as they start to have more rental competition. Most of the condos in this area are either short or long term rentals, but the owners are resistant to upgrading ~20-40% - I estimate that many haven’t been renovated in 20+yrs. Bring on the change! These folks not maintaining their rentals are all mostly wealthy folks that have money to renovate the interior and exteriors of the condos, but they choose not to for pure greed/profit.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:51 PM

Crane is going up today!

Just kidding - after that rush of equipment last noted nothing has changed, but folks are on the site daily. Waiting for something.. permit? Crazy that our journalists haven’t scouted out answers yet if it’s a serious problem.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:41 PM

lots of action today for such a muddy day - quite a bit of equipment added today. Must be progress is about to ramp up

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 1:36 AM

Does anyone with some inside knowledge have any idea what is happening here?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 2:13 PM

Other than one more track hoe on site and the ground being wet, the site looks virtually unchanged between the July 30th photo and the Aug 24th photo. It really does seem like they're making it up as they go along on this one.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 4:55 PM

Just noticed on INDEED that Baydo posted for a tower crane operator, says employment for 36 to 48 months full time

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Just noticed on INDEED that Baydo posted for a tower crane operator, says employment for 36 to 48 months full time
That better be for multiple projects, or that's going to be a wickedly expensive superstructure if Baydo Towers takes that long,

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 11:40 PM

Unless something has changed, Baydo intended to build both towers at the same time and only furnish one to begin, depending on demand.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:10 AM

Maybe it's going to be two 100 stories towers now lol

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:07 AM

Do we have any details on the height of these towers?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:19 AM

Lots of action today - most amount of people on site since the concrete pouring stopped
. A pretty large piling machine was lowered into the site with cables. Kind of a cool thing to see but yes things look kind of crazy. Seems like they’re back on track now though.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
damn only $30/hr?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Do we have any details on the height of these towers?
I haven’t seen any official heights from Baydo or elsewhere. I’d imagine they’d be somewhere in the 70-80 meter range. Hallmark place has 27 storeys and is 79 m tall, so assuming each floor is roughly 10 ft (~3 m) tall the Baydo towers would be around 73 m tall.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 9:27 PM

There is a chance this could be the second tallest in Saskatoon? The Renaissance is 79.3m at number two and I am guessing 75-80m in height for this tower.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:35 AM

There has been a ton of action on-site the last ten days. I guess they just realized summer is almost over as I don’t see what piece of equipment was stalling them.

Construction labour demand is going to get tight in the city again soon with this project, all of the new food and byproduct process in regina, and the 3,000 needed got Jansen mine. I remember that always being an excuse for North Prairie to not build their towers lol. Wonder what their next excuse wil be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan