HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 8:15 PM

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=...1&binPageNum=1

Goddamn this animal was a fucking piece of shit.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 8:51 PM

As far as him copyiing the Cop gear, keep in mind that Halifax is a fairly major TV/Film production hub. Not as big as Toronto or Vancouver, but there is a lot of production going on there and in that region. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are ways to get TV-Cop cars that look very similar to the real thing just from various production companies, or the companies that supply those companies. In this case, he may have been home-made making his gear, but as others said, it probably isn't all that difficult to get the gear if you wanted to.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
So, no worries, carry on. You have a right to discuss in any fashion that you wish based on the rules of this forum and the discretion of the mods. I had no intentions of taking that away from anyone.

Like I said, just adding perspective to the conversation.
I had understood your point well; I am aware you did not officially demand anything but your request for more sensitivity was reasonable.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 11:18 PM

The dude was worth quite a penny, he had the resources to acquire the needed copycat items.

You'd be surprised at what Chinese vendors can supply.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he had an assault charge in the past, wouldn't that disqualify one for licensing

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I had understood your point well; I am aware you did not officially demand anything but your request for more sensitivity was reasonable.
Thanks for your understanding.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 12:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he had an assault charge in the past, wouldn't that disqualify one for licensing
For guns? Probably not. Canada is far more lenient when it comes to guns than most people realize.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For someone as obsessed as this guy seemed to be, I think all of this is within the realm of the possible. Well, obviously it was.

In terms of the vehicle itself, if you can't buy one at an auction, all you need to do is scout out which model the cops in your area use. There is even a good chance you can get the same colour, and even if you can't you just get it painted. The rooftop emergency light assembly I am 99% sure you can buy on the Internet from someone. Decals can be reproduced with astonishing exactness these days.

Uniforms can be bought online I am pretty sure. Also, many cop uniforms look the same now and almost resemble black hunting gear. Except for the word POLICE on the back usually velcro-ed, and of course the patches. As someone said, patches are all over the place. I had a collection of tons of police and other law enforcement patches from all over the world as a kid.

It's all scary when you think about it.
And all this from someone with, apparently, no history of mental illness. Was he self-medicating? What triggered this extraordinary level of paranoia and vengeance? He didn't black out and then come to in a pool of his wife's blood. He planned it all just like a psychopath might.

A psychopathic denturist whom everyone describes as a good guy. I'm trying to connect the dots here but it just doesn't make sense...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
And all this from someone with, apparently, no history of mental illness. Was he self-medicating? What triggered this extraordinary level of paranoia and vengeance? He didn't black out and then come to in a pool of his wife's blood. He planned it all just like a psychopath might.

A psychopathic denturist whom everyone describes as a good guy. I'm trying to connect the dots here but it just doesn't make sense...
That is what is really really scary about this.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
As far as him copyiing the Cop gear, keep in mind that Halifax is a fairly major TV/Film production hub. Not as big as Toronto or Vancouver, but there is a lot of production going on there and in that region. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are ways to get TV-Cop cars that look very similar to the real thing just from various production companies, or the companies that supply those companies. In this case, he may have been home-made making his gear, but as others said, it probably isn't all that difficult to get the gear if you wanted to.
Something that spooks me a bit (on top of everything else) is that I can think of at least 2 major film/TV series with close ties to Nova Scotia that used "doctored car/disguised as cop" as major plot points, within the last decade or so. It's certainly not a new idea.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
That is what is really really scary about this.
At first sight, yeah, it's scary how easy it is for someone who's smart enough and wealthy enough and not at all on the authorities' radar to plan for (and carry out) such a deadly rampage, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that friends and family do / can play an essential role in stopping someone who's planning that kind of stuff.

If for example I wanted to do this... realistically I'd first have to "get rid" of (drive away) all the people close to me. It's almost impossible for anyone to prepare like that without someone somewhere noticing some sort of red flag.

And nowadays with social media, etc. even the less social people are in touch with others. I'd be really surprised if in retrospect we don't learn that some people in his circles had partial clues (that something wasn't right) but didn't think anything of them at the time.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
More on that:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...icle-1.5539877

It sounds like you guys are right, it would be easier than I thought it would be.

Also the article suggests that it was a new car bought off the lot (apparently service spec cars can be bought by the public - I've actually seen a Taurus around with Metro Transit markings on it and a yellow light bar, so I guess they are not only for police use).

As some of you have said, he must have had the means to do it, or at least bought it on credit knowing that he wouldn't have to worry about paying it off (if the rumours that he burnt down his own house down are true, it would appear he wasn't planning to live through this or was planning to disappear).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:26 AM

Wait so the uniform was REAL?

How did he get it...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 11:25 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

A history of anger isssues...

https://globalnews.ca/news/6848816/n...-assault-2001/

Of course, 99.999% of people who are angry jerks wouldn't ever do anything like this.

Still no word on whether the firearms he used were legally obtained or possessed?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 12:14 PM

On CBC news yesterday, they said that there were a number of RCMP uniforms reported stolen and a number that were reported as lost as well, so it's possible that one of those were purchased from a thief.

Also here's another article that gives more clues into the character of this piece of crap:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6846920/n...ial-practices/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 12:18 PM

Maybe he had an HA connection? They were known to have police cars and uniforms on hand when they’ve been raided in the past. Probably why they drove the tanker truck in to the Sorel clubhouse, didn’t have enough time to dispose of everything once they heard a raid was coming so just burn it to the ground.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
The dude was worth quite a penny, he had the resources to acquire the needed copycat items.

You'd be surprised at what Chinese vendors can supply.
Exactly this. For a millionaire, he wouldn't have blinked at the costs involved. The feds sell old RCMP cruisers for under a few grand each depending on condition. You could buy a serviceable one for under $2,500.

The lights and decals could easily be sourced from China without any hassle. Sure they won't be to official Mountie specs, but it's not like that mattered. No one would be examining it in close enough detail to notice.

Dirtbag could probably have a full on knockoff RCMP cruiser that looks like the real thing to the general public for under five grand. Practically nothing for a millionaire with an obsession.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Exactly this. For a millionaire, he wouldn't have blinked at the costs involved. The feds sell old RCMP cruisers for under a few grand each depending on condition. You could buy a serviceable one for under $2,500.

The lights and decals could easily be sourced from China without any hassle. Sure they won't be to official Mountie specs, but it's not like that mattered. No one would be examining it in close enough detail to notice.

Dirtbag could probably have a full on knockoff RCMP cruiser that looks like the real thing to the general public for under five grand. Practically nothing for a millionaire with an obsession.
Yup. All of that is true.

For the highlighted, the government has an entire division that basically sells off public "assets" that are no longer required. Old police cars are part of that. It's actually a good place to get cheap stuff that has (usually) been decently maintained.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
More on that:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...icle-1.5539877

It sounds like you guys are right, it would be easier than I thought it would be.

Also the article suggests that it was a new car bought off the lot (apparently service spec cars can be bought by the public - I've actually seen a Taurus around with Metro Transit markings on it and a yellow light bar, so I guess they are not only for police use).

As some of you have said, he must have had the means to do it, or at least bought it on credit knowing that he wouldn't have to worry about paying it off (if the rumours that he burnt down his own house down are true, it would appear he wasn't planning to live through this or was planning to disappear).
Note from the article:

Quote:
He appears to have bought a new vehicle in an attempt to make it look like a new police car, according to Giles. The photo shared by RCMP showed what looked like a sticker from a car dealership in the passenger-side window.

"Even on a dealer's lot, I believe you can buy that vehicle. You can buy that as a service vehicle," Giles said.

"It doesn't always mean it's a police car. It could go to security companies, it could go to whoever wants to buy it, with the blacked-out wheels and so on."

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
For the highlighted, the government has an entire division that basically sells off public "assets" that are no longer required. Old police cars are part of that. It's actually a good place to get cheap stuff that has (usually) been decently maintained.
Crown Assets sells off old government assets as well as seized goods. I think at one point they were selling helicopters and they very frequently sell cars and boats. Usually there are minimum amounts required for the auctions but they're usually pretty low.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

At least the big three North American automakers make what are referred to as "police pack" versions of some of their vehicles.

Basically it's the same car but with some modifications to the engine, reinforcements to windows so prisoners can't kick them out, reinforcements to certain exterior elements for ramming suspects' vehicles, etc.

I am not sure if the average joe can buy these or if they only sell to police and other agencies (forest rangers, customs officers, etc.).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada