HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 5:01 PM

Noirish Los Angeles !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Those brown stains on MM niche marble are usually body fluids leaking from a coffin in the upper chamber..
Oh ! CBD ! this report is a Noirish gem !

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post

There she is, lovely "Amy Thanotogenous" (Comer) on the stilt house swing. Thanks Mr. Stranger. The talented sleuths here can find anything! As I recall, the departed Amy's mortal remains were shot into orbit on a rocket at the end of the film by young rocket prodigy Paul Williams. The horror of seeing 600 lb. Momsy Joyboy downing chickens and roast suckling pig with ravenous gusto was too much for the poor girl. Truly a noirish L.A. moment.
This location has been identified as 3847 Oakfield Dr., Sherman Oaks....it's one of the stilt houses that you can see from Beverly Glen Blvd....I live on a street above Oakfield and have essentially the same view.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
There she is, lovely "Amy Thanotogenous" (Comer) on the stilt house swing. Thanks Mr. Stranger. The talented sleuths here can find anything!
Part of the fun of Noirish Los Angeles is that all the regulars here bring their own unique strengths to the table. Some are good at finding and sharing one-of-a-kind photos, some are great at identifying locations, some have interesting personal stories to share. I guess my strength is that I have an absurdly large collection of old movies and TV shows, and I enjoy grabbing a frame or two to post when there's any mention of a film that I have.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Part of the fun of Noirish Los Angeles is that all the regulars here bring their own unique strengths to the table. Some are good at finding and sharing one-of-a-kind photos, some are great at identifying locations, some have interesting personal stories to share. I guess my strength is that I have an absurdly large collection of old movies and TV shows, and I enjoy grabbing a frame or two to post when there's any mention of a film that I have.
Don't downplay your other special strength, X-Ray vision!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 10:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Oh ! CBD ! this report is a Noirish gem !
A well maintained cemetery will keep these stains wiped up. This is not uncommon in a mausoleum building.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Can you post a screenshot of Mummy Joyboy inhaling a roast suckling pig or chicken whole? Truly a noirish horrific moment, especially for poor Aimee Thanotogenos. But the pet mynah bird plucking the suckling pig's eyeball like a grape was perhaps the straw that sent star crossed Aimee fleeing in terror. I nominate this film for the top 10 list of L.A.'s noirish cinema list, along with such dark masterpieces as Sunset Blvd, Double Indemnity, Day of the Locust, Chinatown etc. Of course the comedy-satire-camp dampens the horror. Loved One is more watchable than Baby Jane in my opinion. Both belong on the noirish list though, far below the classics like Sunset Blvd, but on the list.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 16, 2021 at 7:24 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Can you post a screenshot of Mummy Joyboy inhaling a roast suckling pig or chicken whole?
Hmm. I fear your request is a little outside the scope of this forum, since the scenes in question aren't exactly Los Angeles locations. So...just this once, OK?

Mrs. Joyboy (Ayllene Gibbons) is in bed here, and the pig is on a platter on top of the bed.

Let me atone by adding a location photo taken during production and published in a book called The Journal of the Loved One. We're at the Pet Haven Cemetery, 18300 S. Figueroa St, in Gardena. It looks like there's a farmed field on the other side of Figueroa.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:09 AM

Cool

Quote:
Hmm. I fear your request is a little outside the scope of this forum, since the scenes in question aren't exactly Los Angeles locations. So...just this once, OK?

Mrs. Joyboy (Ayllene Gibbons) is in bed here, and the pig is on a platter on top of the bed.

Let me atone by adding a location photo taken during production and published in a book called The Journal of the Loved One. We're at the Pet Haven Cemetery, 18300 S. Figueroa St, in Gardena. It looks like there's a farmed field on the other side of Figueroa.

Thanks Mr. Stranger. No more requests for a great while. Hard to top Momma Joyboy and her suckling pig for L.A. noirish horror. She was large enough to qualify as a location though. Despite her morbid obesity, Ayllene lived past 80, not passing this mortal veil until 1987. She made very few films, and did a bit of TV. Amazing photos

Did a youtube search, and found several videos (links below). Apparently this has become an L.A. noirish/satirical "cult" film.

1. Interview with Morse, Comer, Williams & some of production staff https://youtube.com/watch?v=BjxUtL5xdyE (includes the swing scene in the stilt house in Sherman Oaks)

2. Big Momma Joyboy freaks out Aimee: https://youtube.com/watch?v=DaGtDJo5R5o

3. Mr. Joyboy at work with Aimee on the departed "loved one" Mr. Barlow (Gielgud): https://youtube.com/watch?v=-edybFkBiO4&t=11s

Like the trailer says, The Loved One has "Something to Offend Everybody".

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 18, 2021 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 10:49 PM

This had to have been discussed previously, but for completeness: a clip from The Loved One showing the Fish Shanty and Osko's / the Millionaire's Club at La Cienega and San Vicente. (Sorry about the audio)
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

This had to have been discussed previously, but for completeness: a clip from The Loved One showing the Fish Shanty and Osko's / the Millionaire's Club at La Cienega and San Vicente. (Sorry about the audio)
Video Link
Thanks. Apparently the Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills provided the set for some of the Whispering Glades cemetary scenes.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 16, 2021 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 6:13 AM

Quote:

I don't wanna be THAT guy, but Pet Haven Cemetery is actually in the city of Carson. However, the zip code IS more commonly associated with Gardena.
Many celebrities have pets buried there.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 3:47 PM

That is true but the cemetery itself still lists its city as Gardena. I've also seen it on old post cards. For the record, I came across them looking for Gardena collectables, not cemetery stuff.
I appreciate you not wanting to be THAT guy. I don't want to either but here I am pointing out additional trivial details...

Daily Breeze article on Pet Haven: http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history...aven-cemetery/

Last edited by Bristolian; Aug 17, 2021 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:43 PM

Remember the idiosyncratic photographer John Clair?

He of the faux-Marilyn Monroe memorial (above) and the odd Queen of Outer Space . . .um. . .novelty set-up. (below)

Well. .for the first time, I have come across COLOR negatives of the odd-ball. .um. . .movie theater lobby set-up (?) .Merely a guess, mind you.

eBay ...a month or so ago.

Let's take a closer look at one of the color slides.

I take back my guess (theater lobby). . .if you look at the top of the slide I'd say it's set up in Clair's basement!

That's our man, John Clair, with the pointer.

What in the heck is going on?

...I'm pretty sure that's Clair in the dark wig, sunglasses and bugs bunny teeth pretending to be a space alien)

As a reminder, Noir Noir might have discovered the location of Mr. Clair home & studio,... Here.. (or see my next post)

for search purposes - ARICAL - Lemon Grove Studio

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 18, 2021 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 6:15 PM

Originally posted by Noir Noir

I took the google-mobile to 5348 Lemon Grove Avenue and this is what I found...

Obviously Mr. Clair's shenanigans created some sort of time portal.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 18, 2021 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 8:30 PM

Mystery photograph.

Seller's description:

eBay

For search purposes: 11495 - 40 Int. Sherman Ironworks

The back of the photograph is stamped with the date (OCT. 20, 1952).

When I first looked at the photograph I thought the contraption was a vertical multi-plane camera developed by Fleischer Studios Walt Disney Studios. (Fleischer Studios invented the rotoscope.)

One of these. . .

hoatimeline

. . .but what is shown in the eBay photograph is something much simpler. . .except for the vaguely oriental bric-a-brac.
(also note that the whole thing is on wheels!)

I tried to read the movie placard but it's way too blurry.

. . .and I don't recognize the actress.

Postscript:

I decided to include the blurry movie placard because I just noticed the 11495 corresponds with what is written at the top of the eBay photograph.

detail

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 19, 2021 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 3:23 PM

Well, it's definitely taken inside an iron works. To the right background you can see the hood and anvil of a forge and the shape next to the gent at the back wall to the left looks like a grinder.

The structure on the work cart appears to have a vaguely oriental design. The object on right of the cart appears to be the top. It is probably made of metal with obvious glass inserts.

The dress of the individuals in the room is interesting. In the back you have obvious ironworkers in work clothes and protective aprons, standing back and watching.

Then there are three people in the kind of casual wear you would expect to be worn by a film crew of the era, walking around and conversing.

Finally there are three people in much more expensive street clothes: The gent under the structure, who could be reading a part of a script, the pensive lady on the edge of the cart and the owner of the nice pair of shoes atop the temporary ladder inside the structure.

So my guess the activity is setting up a location shot and the writing at the top is "11495-40 Int[erior] Sherman Iron Works" where 11495 is the project number, 40 could be the year, and Sherman Iron Works is the location.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 3:59 PM

EXCELLENT deduction, Earl. I appreciate your help.

Here's the good news!

The seller has a 2nd photograph, from a different angle.

eBay

I'd say the biggest clue in this 2nd photo is the BLACKSMITH sign just inside the open doorway.

Earl, I mostly agree with everything you said - but would an iron works still have a blacksmith shop in 1952? ...The sign makes me lean towards this being a movie studio.

As a reminder - October 20, 1952 is stamped on the back of the photo. (as was the photograph from yesterday)

Here's a closer look at the actress (to me, she looks Janet Leigh-ish). . .frustratingly the writing on the placard is still blurry.

detail

The man on his back appears to be brandishing a soldering iron. (don't look at it or you'll go blind!) Did anyone's parents ever tell you this?

Here's the whole scene again, slightly larger.

My kingdom for a studio logo somewhere in the photograph.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 5:15 PM

[/QUOTE]
Here's a closer look at the actress (to me, she looks Janet Leigh-ish). . .frustratingly the writing on the placard is still blurry.

detail

.[/QUOTE]

I would say that indeed IS Janet Leigh, and that this is a prop as seen in the 1953 movie Houdini. Maybe Tony Curtis under the thing? Here's a screencap of the trailer from IMDB:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

frustratingly the writing on the placard is still blurry.

11495 MARSHALL

191 Machine Shop

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 5:48 PM

Noir Noir, George Marshall was the director of Houdini.

Bingo!

Great find vexedbystuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos