HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:41 AM

The San Antonio Ferris wheel was discussed in the San Antonio forum back then. It turned out to be not much more than a joke. A couple of FAA filings were made by someone who didn't own the properties and with no ability to buy or develop the sites.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Why do Seattle, Boston, New York City, and Chicago have more interesting views that what would be seen in Austin.
Large bodies of water to break up the land mass, a variety of architectural epochs in tall buildings, and snow in the winter.

But with that said, Austin's skyline is becoming quite interesting for a city with only newish tall buildings. And while the river isn't a particularly large body of water, at least it provides a defining edge for Austin's downtown, and that makes it more interesting to look at from just south of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:40 PM
Resident Moron

I actually think the bend in the river creates a very interesting downtown from butler park since it appears to stretch all around you.

The thing I will say about Austin is that because we have a lot of greenspace just outside of downtown its a very viewable skyline by the public *without* an observation deck.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:58 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
The thing I will say about Austin is that because we have a lot of greenspace just outside of downtown its a very viewable skyline by the public *without* an observation deck.
Seconded.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 9:23 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Do you all know that communications tower located in Clarksville (roughly West Lynn & 10th Street)? I've always thought that structure was ripe for redevelopment into some sort of observation tower.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:09 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Do you all know that communications tower located in Clarksville (roughly West Lynn & 10th Street)? I've always thought that structure was ripe for redevelopment into some sort of observation tower.
Yes!!!! ^^^ I agree 100%. That tower would make for a cool Japanese-esqe style observation tower and a good location to view DT, Capitol Complex, UT and West Campus. Would also have a decent view of the Domain.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Yes!!!! ^^^ I agree 100%. That tower would make for a cool Japanese-esqe style observation tower and a good location to view DT, Capitol Complex, UT and West Campus. Would also have a decent view of the Domain.
Do you have any pictures of the tower and would it be possible to turn it into an observation tower.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
The sheer amount of NIMBYism in Clarksville would NEVER allow that lol. But that would be really really cool. It's kinda short tho

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of the tower and would it be possible to turn it into an observation tower.
You can sort of see it in this web cam:

https://api.wetmet.net/widgets/strea...9557fdcc54810d

Look for the flashing light in front of 5th and West (easier to see when it's dark, of course).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 7:50 PM

Just go to streetview to see it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:43 PM

At Nido, as I type. View of downtown from this balcony, is fire. Though this view won’t encompass much of Rainey once those buildings are complete.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 1:50 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Yes. I believe it could be. A very low-key, small capacity, tower. And, yes...the neighbors would fight the living hell out of that idea. Even though I love it...I don't see that happening.

However...there may be loopholes to their fight against it.

Regarding height...it's on a small hill. Thus, has great views of the entire city.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:27 AM

I like observation towers that are open air like the UT tower, Empire State Building, the former WTT. I've been to all three
Besides the view, I like the smell and feel of the air and the distant sounds of the city. I think it would be worth the time to schedule an appointment for a trip to the observation deck of the UT tower. It probably is the only option we'll ever have.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I like observation towers that are open air like the UT tower, Empire State Building, the former WTT. I've been to all three
Besides the view, I like the smell and feel of the air and the distant sounds of the city. I think it would be worth the time to schedule an appointment for a trip to the observation deck of the UT tower. It probably is the only option we'll ever have.
The designers of the UT Tower were smart enough to include an observation deck, much like what was seen in skyscrapers dominating the skyline in many cities across North America between the late 19th or early 20th century until the 1970's or 1980's. This is in stark contrast to today and this us seen in Austin and many other cities across North America.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
The designers of the UT Tower were smart enough to include an observation deck, much like what was seen in skyscrapers dominating the skyline in many cities across North America between the late 19th or early 20th century until the 1970's or 1980's. This is in stark contrast to today and this us seen in Austin and many other cities across North America.
As a small child I was obsessed with observation towers and sort of imagined Austin had one just like every other major TX city (I was born/raised in SA). To my surprise, the UT tower existed AND had an observation deck of sorts! Keep in mind here I was about 5-6 during this fantasy tower phase...

In the spirit of honoring our past and building for the future, I can realistically imagine a designated open air observation tower here. It may not be a supertall, but I think it's a realistic/lucrative concept for this market. Something in the hills would be breathtaking, but challenging with zoning. It wouldn't have to be that tall and would draw in a fuck ton of people...oh and the views

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
As a small child I was obsessed with observation towers and sort of imagined Austin had one just like every other major TX city (I was born/raised in SA)...Keep in mind here I was about 5-6 during this fantasy tower phase...
I think you've said the quiet part on the head about ArchGuy1 here without actually saying it. If they dug in just a bit deeper into why all the non-Austin towers he's listing *do* have observation decks, they might just understand why the purely residential skyscrapers of dt Austin don't. I'm pretty sure we've all wondered and theorized about Austin having a tall vantage point from a building, and it'd be cool from a theoretical perspective, but unless some millionaire wishing to burn millions takes initiative to do so, we won't have one.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismuth96 View Post
I think you've said the quiet part on the head about ArchGuy1 here without actually saying it. If they dug in just a bit deeper into why all the non-Austin towers he's listing *do* have observation decks, they might just understand why the purely residential skyscrapers of dt Austin don't. I'm pretty sure we've all wondered and theorized about Austin having a tall vantage point from a building, and it'd be cool from a theoretical perspective, but unless some millionaire wishing to burn millions takes initiative to do so, we won't have one.
There are actually some otherwise purely residential skyscrapers above ground level that have observation decks open to the public on their top floors. Examples include the Eureka Tower in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Q1 in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, Palm Tower in Dubai, and the Sapphire Tower in Istanbul. In the case of the Eureka Tower, there is a restaurant open to the public one floor above the observation deck. 70 Pine Street in New York City has a restaurant included on the top floors as part of it's conversion from an office building to an otherwise purely residential building above the ground floor. Shows you why the same should be done with the Wilson Tower.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 12:44 AM

I was noticing on the web-page for the Republic that we may kinda/sorta get our wish. It appears to have an outdoor dining area on one of the top level floors (not clear which one but the artist renderings put it higher than the Frost tower). So not a true obervation deck, but I assume if you get a dinner up there you'll get to look around.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I was noticing on the web-page for the Republic that we may kinda/sorta get our wish. It appears to have an outdoor dining area on one of the top level floors (not clear which one but the artist renderings put it higher than the Frost tower). So not a true obervation deck, but I assume if you get a dinner up there you'll get to look around.
It will be great for anyone who works in the building or their guests.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
Will that space be open to the public.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin