HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 5:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not really complaining. Just seems odd to me. I thought they did the work to eliminate the road issue, not require closures.
Holy...the city had been planning to reconstruct and redesign that stretch of road. When the owners (True North) heard that was upcoming they contacted the City regarding some options for getting rid of that stupid island park in the previous layout. The city agreed and we have a much better design than what was there before.

Regarding the stage and road closure. This was put on last year and is a great event for downtown. The stage configuration was on the opposite end of the parking lot last year, the road was still closed as this is a special event.

What a terrible take you have on this event. I suppose we should cancel all cultural or other events in the city that require a road closure or is it that you have a hate on for Chipman.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 6:41 PM

Say it ain't so... haha

I guess i thought they'd have whatever events they wanted in the new space. Just like I thought TNSE would hold large events in the square at TNS. But it's kind of a small space.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Anyone have any insight into what's going on with Pantages? This recent WFP story (with the words "limbo" and "amorphous" in the title) seems to leave more questions than answers: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...rphous-project
I knew this would occur.
Broken promises.
We now have a historic theatre in the hands of people who have no track record of knowing how to deal with something like this.
Good luck to eve getting inside in our lifetime.
I am also concerned they will pull a Ken Zaifman like he has done for 15 years with St Charles..
Strip the best and leave to rot for a future parking lot.
What we need is to repossess both.
If you do not have the funds to do as promised, sell it

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 10:26 PM

Agree both should be declared historically critical and be expropriated by the city and/or province.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Agree both should be declared historically critical and be expropriated by the city and/or province.
Heck, even Larry the Cable guy would "Get er Done" lol.
I am fearing the worst. St charles has been stripped By Ken Zaifman and he just does nothing
Pantages must be saved

Last edited by BAKGUY; Aug 17, 2023 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 4:26 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 4:50 AM

When cities were actually cities. Great seeing all the foot traffic.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 12:36 PM

Paris Building forever!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 2:03 PM

What an amazing picture. You can't turn back time, but you can certainly use it to guide your future. One of the lessons...you can only have foot traffic if there is something at street level...restaurants, stores, theatres, commerce. Nice to see the Curry building and the old YMHA in that shot. The bones are still there. Need some brains and cash to make it special again.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 7:08 PM

It's good to remember that the hollowing out of downtowns is also not just a Winnipeg problem. I was in Minneapolis recently, and while the downtown is certainly a lot cleaner than ours, boy did large swaths of it feel dead. Lots of retail vacancy, emptiness on both the street level and in the skywalk. It's telling that the most alive parts, close to the river and in the North Loop/Warehouse District area, were exactly where there was a lot of dense residential development going on.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 9:07 PM

Quote:
It's good to remember that the hollowing out of downtowns is also not just a Winnipeg problem. I was in Minneapolis recently, and while the downtown is certainly a lot cleaner than ours, boy did large swaths of it feel dead. Lots of retail vacancy, emptiness on both the street level and in the skywalk. It's telling that the most alive parts, close to the river and in the North Loop/Warehouse District area, were exactly where there was a lot of dense residential development going on.
Yes it's a problem in many cities, large and small. I think most people recognize the need to do exactly as you stated; increase residential development in their downtowns. It takes effort, time, money and creativity, and I think Winnipeg has been making some gains, though not without occasional setbacks.

Of course it never helps to see tiresome comments, repeated ad nauseam, suggesting that's it's just a "Winnipeg" thing. I've stopped trying to figure those folks out.

Interesting article about that issue:

https://rsmcanada.com/insights/indus...downtowns.html

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 12:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

weird this is a relitivly new building damn

photo credit a friend who lives across from it

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 1:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
This is what I have noticed lately with my most recent travels. All of the cities I have been to in the last year have all the same issues as ours as pegster mentioned above. The one thing that was different was how dirty our downtown is compared to the other cities. (LA, Chicago, Minneapolis, Toronto, Calgary)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 6:46 PM

Man, the residents were allowed back in to get pets, medications and whatever else they need but they are out of there until repairs can take place. Unheard of for a basically brand new build. No power in the whole building apparently.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 7:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hydro usualy cuts the power to any buildings that have a fire and force a reinspection and new permits ect

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 7:58 PM

September is creeping up, were the plans to redevelop that little square in front of the AC building set to be done this year or next? I believe the extent of the renos were in the 7 figure mark.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
September is creeping up, were the plans to redevelop that little square in front of the AC building set to be done this year or next? I believe the extent of the renos were in the 7 figure mark.
The plan is to close the park late summer early fall.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 12:22 AM

Someone on r/winnipeg just posted the message tenants of 221 Stradbrook (which had the rooftop fire) received. They are all being asked to find new housing. Unbelievable. https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/co..._fire_outcome/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Someone on r/winnipeg just posted the message tenants of 221 Stradbrook (which had the rooftop fire) received. They are all being asked to find new housing. Unbelievable. https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/co..._fire_outcome/
Different province granted, but I was once renting in Alberta when my apartment flooded and was rendered uninhabitable due to a collision between a defect in the building design and a particularly cold winter. The company's regional manager basically said "tough, that's what's tenant insurance is for". I didn't have to find out whether she right or wrong on that because my building manager put me in a vacant suite while repairs occurred.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 3:09 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Wow, that's infuriating.

I guess in hindsight, we dodged a bullet since my fiancee and I were looking for a place a few years ago, and 221 Stradbrook was one of them.

I hope the tenants find housing sooner than later.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan