HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:04 PM

UCSF is moving forward with two new buildings at Mission Bay:

1. East Campus Block 33: Located at SE corner of 16th and 3rd, this project will be office and clinical and include ophthalmology programs relocated from Parnassus buildings that will be demolished or repurposed, administrative units relocated from Laurel Heights and leased space elsewhere in the city, and consolidation of some specific units already housed elsewhere at Mission Bay.

This is a 340,000 SF, $237 million project that will be 90 feet high with a 160-foot tower. Completion is anticipated in late 2018 with move-in in early 2019.

2. Precision Cancer Medicine Building: Located at SW corner of 16th and 3rd, this will complete Phase I of the hospital project. This building was originally planned to be part of the initial hospital construction, but was delayed in order to bring initial project costs down a bit.

This will be a 170,000 SF, $250 million project with construction starting in early 2017 and wrapping up by fall 2018.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 1:46 AM
heavy user of walkability

block 6E

socketsite article about block 6E, across Fourth Street from the block 7W project currently under construction. this would complete the streetwall on both sides of Fourth north of the Commons.

Quote:
...142 affordable apartments and a manager's unit over up to seven ground-floor commercial spaces fronting the Fourth Street corridor... currently plans to start construction in late spring 2016 and occupancy is slated for around the end of 2017

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
UCSF is moving forward with two new buildings at Mission Bay:

1. East Campus Block 33: Located at SE corner of 16th and 3rd, ... Completion is anticipated in late 2018 with move-in in early 2019.

2. Precision Cancer Medicine Building: Located at SW corner of 16th and 3rd, ... wrapping up by fall 2018.
only just occurred to me that with the Arena, this means that three of the four corners at 3rd and 16th will be filled in approximately simultaneously, quickly and drastically changing the feel of that major intersection. with Uber sort of next door, should do a lot to dispel some of the sense of moving through a gap in the city fabric which I think is still there as one passes through MB on Third.

MB feels like it is just about at the point where the perception is, instead of islands of buildings standing in the midst of empty space, islands of space between buildings. the next few years, by 2019, will certainly push it beyond this threshold

Last edited by timbad; Aug 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 6:19 AM
Surrounded by Nature

[IMG]Looking North from Mission Bay by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 9:21 PM

Kilroy had their groundbreaking ceremony for The Exchange on 16th yesterday.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2085333

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Kilroy had their groundbreaking ceremony for The Exchange on 16th yesterday. ...
glad to hear about some movement there again - the site itself has been idle since some initial activity a couple months ago. here it was this past weekend

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:42 AM

more MB from a walk around this past weekend...

approaching from the west, south side of the creek, under the freeway. Arden etc

Channel St where it will soon connect to the roundabout:

the Rutter Center views

they've started work again on the southern end of Owens where it will hit widened Mariposa. looking north from Mariposa:

and at the northeast corner of the intersection with a glimpse of Mariposa Park (still not open)

scaffolding almost all down on block 5 MB 360. here looking north on Fourth:

the west face, fronting the playground (still not open). I'm not a fan of the color here, but maybe they had the kids in mind:

the corner of Fourth and Long Bridge is more my style:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:40 AM

roadbed going in on new Channel St in front of Arden. this is as of Friday

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:48 AM

Ooooober

socketsite says Uber headquarters still moving forward, anticipated groundbreaking in January

[/URL]

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 4:50 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Interested to see if Uber, The Exchange, Warriors Arena and Mission Rock can turn the general impression of MB from negative to at least neutral. There are a few nice buildings mixed in here already. With several more coming in the near future, the general view of MB architecture may shift a little more to the positive. At least I hope so.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:01 AM

<-- yes, one can hope!

in the meantime, here is a 'hood update:

still driving piles on block 1 kitty-corner from the ballpark. here seen from the west, intersection of Fourth and Channel. bonus historic streetcar I think from Milan:

here seen from Third and Channel, looking north:

Fourth St, looking north along block 5:

block 7W was getting a concrete pour, and Family House behind:

Kaiser, from the ground...

... and from the 'air', with glimpse of EQR Potrero or whatever it is called now, behind

the Rutter Center views:

Owens at Mariposa getting its roadbed (looking north)

and looking east down Mariposa. (the traffic signal at Mariposa and Minnesota in the distance was recently made operational)

Mariposa Park looks and smells nice as one walks by, though that is all one does for the moment, since it's still not open...

park parcels P23 and P24 in the far SE corner of MB have been cleaned up and prepped for landscaping, though who knows how long they will sit like this. here is the southernmost one...

and looking from the southern to the northern one

Last edited by timbad; Oct 7, 2015 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Yay, I've been hoping for an update from you. A month is too long!

Yes, that is a Milan car (they still run in their native habitat as well). Also, I see they installed some of the red on Kaiser. Those elements look better than I expected.

Thanks for the pix.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Yay, I've been hoping for an update from you. A month is too long!

Yes, that is a Milan car (they still run in their native habitat as well). Also, I see they installed some of the red on Kaiser. Those elements look better than I expected.

Thanks for the pix.
I'm suffering a bit from old technology syndrome, which makes uploading a bit more of a pain than it should be, but should have that remedied before too long and be back in the saddle.

I agree Kaiser doesnt look quite as horrendous as its rendering, but still - ooof.

thanks for *your* pics - it's funny, if you took them yesterday, I would say you traced my path, about an hour after me. some of your shots are almost exactly the same as ones I took yesterday. I'll post an example

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:57 PM

I'll also agree that the Kaiser building looks better than the impressively ugly rendering...thankfully. I even kind of like it a little now.

Nice pics!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 9:23 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Hey now, I was just talking about the red grates. OK, OK, I'll admit the whole thing does look better than the renderings. That's not exactly a high bar though.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 9:57 PM

Quote:
OK, OK, I'll admit the whole thing does look better than the renderings. That's not exactly a high bar though.
haha true. I'm actually surprised that I kind of like it now, because i hated it so much in the renderings. I still think it's boring and mostly ugly, but it seems to fit into the area better than I was expecting, and the outdated "futuristic" utilitarian look it has from some angles looks way better and less-cheap in person than in the renderings IMO (and I like some ugly utilitarian buildings to begin with)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 7:51 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Refined Designs And Timing For 250-Room Mission Bay Hotel
October 8, 2015

With the former San Francisco Giants Parking Lot D having been prepped for construction, the building permits for a 250-room hotel to rise on the northwest corner of Third and Channel Streets have been requested, the design has been refined and newly rendered, and construction for the SOMA Mission Bay Hotel should soon be underway.

From the architects with respect to the design:

The hotel has a 40-foot high street-edge defining podium element containing public and back-of-house spaces, and a taller tower element containing guestrooms and guest suites. The “L” shaped guestroom tower is organized in two (2) perpendicular wings rising 16 stories. Typical guestrooms are provided with generous picture windows that allow for guestroom suites to be situated facing AT&T Park, Twin Peaks and the City Landscape beyond.

The ground level sidewalk pedestrian experience is activated by the hotel’s public use space – the lobby gathering areas and marketplace café. The main public entrances for the hotel and marketplace café are located along the 3rd Street façade. The Porte Cochere and direct access to the rooftop community space enliven south-facing Channel Street. At the 3rd & Channel Street corner the hotel’s 40’ podium volumetrically defines a glass-enclosed, corner lobby and public gathering space – “The Community Living Room.”

Formally, the top of the hotel tower is defined by a sheltering brow which provides a defined cap element to the tower as well as functional wind and weather protection for the rooftop community space. This horizontal brow will be accented with color on its underside and distinctively lit during evening hours.

Originally slated for a late 2017 opening, it’s now looking more like the doors will open in early 2018.

The SOMA Mission Bay Hotel will abut the 350-unit residential development that’s to rise on the remainder of the Mission Bay Block 1 site to the north.
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-take-two.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 12:37 AM
Only Mostly Dead

At 175' it's technically tall enough for its own thread, but design-wise I don't think it's warranted. It's not bad, just sort of there. Maybe the materials and night lighting will give it some pizazz.

I notice the architects used "SOMA Hotel" for the placeholder name. Surely they realize this isn't SOMA.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 3:29 AM

Quote:
At 175' it's technically tall enough for its own thread, but design-wise I don't think it's warranted. It's not bad, just sort of there. Maybe the materials and night lighting will give it some pizazz.

I notice the architects used "SOMA Hotel" for the placeholder name. Surely they realize this isn't SOMA.
Nothing in Mission Bay warrants its own thread.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:36 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Unfortunately, that has been true so far. But the Warriors arena and hopefully the Seawall lot 337 development will buck the trend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development