HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:52 AM

Love it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I like it but I suspect traffic would get backed up rather quickly on Main with people making making left turns at William Stephenson Way to cross over the Provencher Bridge into St. Boniface...probably to the point that traffic in the left lane of Main would be backed up beyond Portage and Main.

We would probably need 2 left turn lanes on to William Stephenson Way from Main and a lengthy turn signal to alleviate some of those problems. I'm not sure if that would be enough.
That is already the current set-up. Left turns onto William Stephenson. There are not left turns from Main to Portage E.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That is already the current set-up. Left turns onto William Stephenson. There are not left turns from Main to Portage E.
But if you block off Portage E, then all the EB through traffic continuing east down Portage (much of which ends up on William Stephenson) would have to go south on Main, then east on William Stephenson, adding to the congestion there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 3:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Also, how does west bound traffic from Provencher get to west bound Portage?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 3:48 PM

Ah, right. Would be interested to know how much traffic goes that way. People don't usually leave the St. B bubble, so probably not many people going back that way lol

I will check.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 7:57 PM

so what about a roundabout

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktom View Post
so what about a roundabout

I could definitely see something like this working in the future but I don't think Winnipeg and area drivers are ready to navigate a 3 lane roundabout at a major intersection.

I think we need to slowly work our way towards this, such as adding a 2 lane roundabout at an intersection like Leila @ Pipeline.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 8:48 PM

In theory at least, a roundabout would look and work nicely, although by the looks of the diagram it would swallow up a good chunk of the plaza in front of the Richardson Building. But as anthonyk said, I'm not sure how well a roundabout on that scale would work in practice.

Now that Winnipeggers have at least some experience with traffic circles and small roundabouts, it might make sense to start building a couple of larger ones so we can eventually work our way up to something like the one shown above.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 9:21 PM

Roundabouts are for cars not for people.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Roundabouts are for cars not for people.
^^ Very true, and this intersection already works really good for cars, the reason we're even talking about this in the first place is because we need/want improvements for pedestrians

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 11:23 PM

this intersection is close like portage and main

https://i.postimg.cc/L53TWT6r/Mt-Wel...ia-Park-Rd.jpg

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 11:25 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 3:09 AM

The transit plan is to remove all busses from Graham. WB Pioneer could turn to SB Main and then use Graham to go Fort > Portage. Graham remains as is now with the first block off Main being open to vehicles, with no vehicular access west of Fort. All depends on how much traffic there is using WB Portage E to continue to Portage right now, which anecdotally does not seem to be very much.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 1:20 PM

Here is the City of Winnipeg flow map.
https://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/...lowMap24HR.pdf

William Stephenson sees over 14k vehicles at per day. 16k on Portage E. 40k vehicles per day going over Provencher Bridge.

I would be on the side of not closing Portage E. But limiting the turn movements. Such as the proposed closure of the NB main to EB Portage right turn. Limiting Portage E to 1 lane each way and no parking. Which I believe again is what the recommendation is.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:31 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:37 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 5:06 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 5:20 PM

come and join my Facebook group about reopen portage and main and see all the past concepts 2004 and my ideas too there will be a website soon lets get the ball moving

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Here is the City of Winnipeg flow map.
https://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/...lowMap24HR.pdf

William Stephenson sees over 14k vehicles at per day. 16k on Portage E. 40k vehicles per day going over Provencher Bridge.

I would be on the side of not closing Portage E. But limiting the turn movements. Such as the proposed closure of the NB main to EB Portage right turn. Limiting Portage E to 1 lane each way and no parking. Which I believe again is what the recommendation is.
I think key here though would be to separate out WB and EB traffic on Portage E. Anecdotally it seems like there's quite a bit more EB traffic, which could easily be handled by turning SB on Main to William Stephenson (god I hate such long street names). It's the WB Portage E traffic that would be the challenge to relocate.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:23 PM

Daily I go west on Portage Ave E during the afternoon rush. I would say that the light at Fort slows down traffic more than the light at Main, to the point that traffic crossing Main is stopped by the line up at Fort. I have seen it many times where only a handful of cars cross Main on a light cycle because of the congestion at Fort. What I mean by this is that the WB green at Main can be shortened and not significantly hurt flow on Portage Ave E (WB, during rush hour).

I work in St B and live in River Heights. The Norwood Bridge is more direct, but very unpredictable for congestion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan