HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 1:57 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I think if people want to live together in groups, that's just the way it is in many cases. But in such places as where I live, and more so in extremely diverse places like some parts of Houston and of course Sugar Land, people enjoy being with other cultures and seek it out. The difference with places like The Villages is that these people seek to live in "their own" group because they hate other cultures. That's a really big difference. They may be happy in their own way, but it's a sad statement on their integrity, and in my opinion, their value to humanity.
That’s nonsense. You can’t assign your values to 100k+ others that’s ridiculous. If you’re going to say that then it applies to any black or Latino or ethnic neighborhood too and their “value to humanity”.
People can do what makes them comfortable.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
That’s nonsense. You can’t assign your values to 100k+ others that’s ridiculous. If you’re going to say that then it applies to any black or Latino or ethnic neighborhood too and their “value to humanity”.
People can do what makes them comfortable.
They "can", but when a large concentration of people advocate and practice discrimination against other people who aren't White, straight, and Christian, then yes I "can" make a statement about their value to humanity. I already said there are exceptions in The Villages.

I don't know what you were saying about Black or Latino or ethnic neighborhoods.

Something needing clarification is that my comment about value to humanity does not mean zero value. I know super bigoted people who are really kind to animals. That can't be overlooked. There are few people with zero or even close to zero value. Examples of the latter would be Hitler, Kim Jong-un, Putin, and um...Donald Trump.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to elaborate on what I said in a comment quite a while back.

Still waiting for you to own up to saying a few years ago that you're a minority. Of course, if you are, that's great, as no one chooses to be one way or the other.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 2:59 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
They "can", but when a large concentration of people advocate and practice discrimination against other people who aren't White, straight, and Christian, then yes I "can" make a statement about their value to humanity. I already said there are exceptions in The Villages.

I don't know what you were saying about Black or Latino or ethnic neighborhoods.

Something needing clarification is that my comment about value to humanity does not mean zero value. I know super bigoted people who are really kind to animals. That can't be overlooked. There are few people with zero or even close to zero value. Examples of the latter would be Hitler, Kim Jong-un, Putin, and um...Donald Trump.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to elaborate on what I said in a comment quite a while back.

Still waiting for you to own up to saying a few years ago that you're a minority. Of course, if you are, that's great, as no one chooses to be one way or the other.
Few things;

I would submit that I think your perception is backward. I would guess the majority are good people with some exceptions, not the other way.

My comment about ethnic neighborhoods is simply that people sometimes choose to live with people like themselves. It’s not a problem. If someone is not a decent person and I’ve certainly run into some you treat them accordingly.

I’m not hiding anything I’ve discussed it many times, just not Phillipino. My family is from South Pacific islands, (haven’t said which ones) immigrated when I was 8. I slept on the steps of the Federal building in Sacramento to get in line for citizenship when I turned 18. First one to go to college in the family etc…. I just happen to have a similar outlook as many other first gen immigrants, that effort overcomes any other characteristics. I’ve seen to many examples to believe otherwise.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Few things;

I would submit that I think your perception is backward. I would guess the majority are good people with some exceptions, not the other way.

My comment about ethnic neighborhoods is simply that people sometimes choose to live with people like themselves. It’s not a problem. If someone is not a decent person and I’ve certainly run into some you treat them accordingly.

I’m not hiding anything I’ve discussed it many times, just not Phillipino. My family is from South Pacific islands, (haven’t said which ones) immigrated when I was 8. I slept on the steps of the Federal building in Sacramento to get in line for citizenship when I turned 18. First one to go to college in the family etc…. I just happen to have a similar outlook as many other first gen immigrants, that effort overcomes any other characteristics. I’ve seen to many examples to believe otherwise.
Depends on what you call "good people". What you call "good people" is different from my viewpoint. Any community where the overwhelming majority are staunch supporters of a pathological lying bigot cannot be considered "good people". As I said, there are exceptions.

Thanks for the explanation of your origin. It only came up because you are so incredibly supportive and defensive of a former president who is so racist, and bigoted in other ways as well.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 10:33 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJK View Post
"I could go on, because I have exactly nothing nice to say about The Villages. However, I was raised with the adage that if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all and so to sum up my thoughts on The Villages I'll just go with... . Just... ."

You are not respecting 'how you were raised.'

But 'go on' and do otherwise.
Okay!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 11:28 PM

At Lake Sumter Landing, one of the pictures of a canal has a lock, do you remember if it was functional? The nearby pedestrian bridge over it looks like the water level is very high and that a small motorboat/barge would not fit beneath the bridge.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 11:51 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
At Lake Sumter Landing, one of the pictures of a canal has a lock, do you remember if it was functional? The nearby pedestrian bridge over it looks like the water level is very high and that a small motorboat/barge would not fit beneath the bridge.
Nothing about it was authentic or functional. It was all for looks.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Nothing about it was authentic or functional. It was all for looks.
I've had lunch a couple of times at Lake Sumter Landing (there is/was a Johnny Rockets Burgers), and the overall atmosphere was fairly nice, but the town center I preferred was Spanish Springs, which I believe was the original center. It looks more authentic and has somewhat of a basis in history. The city has planted a lot of bougainvillea along the streets in Spanish Village, and when in bloom, it's beautiful.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 10:57 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
I've had lunch a couple of times at Lake Sumter Landing (there is/was a Johnny Rockets Burgers)...
We ate there a couple of times also. I tried to buy the poster in the men's room that looked like a 1950s guide for how a cook should dress, compete with bullet points and little arrows pointing out how the trousers should be creased and at what angle the little cap should be cocked on the head. Played phone tag with the manager for about a month, but nothing ever came of it. I thought it would have looked neat in our kitchen at home.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:22 AM
Dryer lint inspector

If The Villages were in my future when my wife and I hit our 60's, I'd probably start drinking. Something very dystopian about the golf carts, bright colors and all that 'ticky tacky'...like Coccoon meets the Stepford Wives.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
If The Villages were in my future when my wife and I hit our 60's, I'd probably start drinking. Something very dystopian about the golf carts, bright colors and all that 'ticky tacky'...like Coccoon meets the Stepford Wives.
I have a feeling you will never wind up there.
That being said as a Floridian The Villages gives me this vibe:

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos