HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Issued for 77-Unit Adaptive Reuse Project at 2019-53 E. Boston Street in East Kensington

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/permits...st-kensington/
Generally I am happy to see to residential development especially near transit. However, I am against this one since it will lead to the loss of Vikings Mill and all of the artist studios, maker spaces, and small businesses that reside inside of them.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:03 PM

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:30 PM

Multimillion-dollar home sales in Philly have reached record levels as prices and remote working increase

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...outputType=amp

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 4:24 PM

I think a few forumers are familiar with the North Bank project near Fishtown...I drive past it on my commute to work and the amount of land they are moving seems extraordinary. It also seems completely cut off from the walkable parts of town - totally isolated with zero urban amenities? Are they adding retail there at all? It seems like a big miss to just build this massive zero-retail home-only community.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I think a few forumers are familiar with the North Bank project near Fishtown...I drive past it on my commute to work and the amount of land they are moving seems extraordinary. It also seems completely cut off from the walkable parts of town - totally isolated with zero urban amenities? Are they adding retail there at all? It seems like a big miss to just build this massive zero-retail home-only community.
Didn't that project just announce that they're 1) Continuing the Delaware River Trail through the development and 2) A sizable retail component in the project's next phase?

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Didn't that project just announce that they're 1) Continuing the Delaware River Trail through the development and 2) A sizable retail component in the project's next phase?
Yupp -

"In addition to 80 units and 80 parking spaces, this mixed-used building fronting Richmond Street contains the development’s only currently planned retail space, seemingly earmarked for a massive 5K sqft cafe. This will sit at one of the most auto-oriented parts of the site, though an additional mixed-use amenity building is planned for some unknown future date on the north edge of the lot, towards Graffiti Pier."

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...st-retail-spot

Basically Northbank phase 2. Only one retail spot but seems pretty big. But with the huge development planned for Penn Treaty with the Battery, I have no doubts we will see the area more broadly have some decent retail options.

Last edited by CleetMcDougle; May 16, 2022 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 6:42 PM

There's a TON of development potential between Northbank and Penn Treaty Park/the old PECO generating building. So, while it feels rather removed today, I think this will be well connected and walkable to the rest of the waterfront and Fishtown/NoLibs in 5 or so years from now.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Kid View Post
I drove by the triangular lot at 8th and Washington this AM and there's heavy equipment on site and it appears to now be an active construction zone. Glad to see this lot finally being developed.
Are you sure that wasn't the lot at 9th? There wasn't anything there over the weekend, although there was machinery on Washington Ave for some work on the streets.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 8:06 PM

Bill would impose fines on developers who don't replace trees

https://www.phillyvoice.com/tree-can...lly-tree-fund/

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 11:52 PM

Primary Election

Do the experts here have a recommendation for Ballot Question #1 in tomorrow's Primary?

QUESTION 1
Shall the Philadelphia Home Rule Charter be amended to revise the composition of the Zoning Board of Adjustment by increasing the number of mayoral appointees from five to seven; by requiring Council confirmation of the mayor’s appointments; and by specifying qualifications that appointees must possess, including a demonstrated sensitivity to community concerns regarding development and the protection of the character of Philadelphia’s neighborhoods?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:22 AM

Everyone select “NO” for this question.

Selecting yes will make the approval process for new projects even more convoluted in Philadelphia, add more unnecessary voices to the ZBA, AND give more power to City Council over real estate development in Philadelphia once again.

For the love of god, everyone select “NO.”

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Bill would impose fines on developers who don't replace trees

https://www.phillyvoice.com/tree-can...lly-tree-fund/
I’m ok with this, as we need the tree canopy, and if a developer removes a tree, they should replace it.

BUT, we need to be careful and walk a fine line on imposing more and more on real estate development in Philadelphia. Developers have been hit with a lot in the past few years and it’s making an already expensive city to build in nearly impossible to turn the industry standard profit of 20%. We’re going to see less and less developments moving forward as it becomes more and more impossible for development projects to pencil out financially.

… which also means more and more value engineering of the facades of projects, etc….

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:27 AM

The Inquirer also recommended a "no" vote on question 1.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Multimillion-dollar home sales in Philly have reached record levels as prices and remote working increase

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...outputType=amp
This is VERY positive news. Surprised no one commented on this. I know we all loath the wealthy, but having wealthy residents in your city is nothing but a positive. Even if it’s their second residence. This is more proof that Philadelphia is attracting wealthy residents from other, more expensive cities, and is still attracting wealthy suburbanites.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:17 AM

Quote:
I know we all loath the wealthy
don't hate. and don't be jealous.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:35 AM

Quote:
I’m ok with this, as we need the tree canopy, and if a developer removes a tree, they should replace it.

BUT, we need to be careful and walk a fine line on imposing more and more on real estate development in Philadelphia. Developers have been hit with a lot in the past few years and it’s making an already expensive city to build in nearly impossible to turn the industry standard profit of 20%. We’re going to see less and less developments moving forward as it becomes more and more impossible for development projects to pencil out financially.

… which also means more and more value engineering of the facades of projects, etc….
On the other hand, more greening improves QOL and probably helps property values if the streets are more pleasant. It's probably a wash.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Main Line Health plans a small hotel plus condos and more for the St. Charles Borromeo Seminary site

An architectural rendering of plans for St. Charles Borromeo Seminary campus shows the proposed promenade through the center of the property.
Main Line Health

Over the next decade or more, Main Line Health is proposing to build an ambitious mix of medical offices, senior housing, apartments, condos, and retail as well as a small hotel on the 73-acre St. Charles Borromeo Seminary campus in Wynnewood, health system officials said Monday.

[...]

But residents should not expect a quick transformation of the historic site at the intersection of City and Lancaster Avenues. The seminary, which is part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia, this year enrolled 149 students, and will keep operating there until the spring of 2024. Officials said they are working with a 10- to 12-year timeline for the project.

[...]

https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20220517.html

- 600,000sqft of medical office buildings
- 205 senior living units
- 175-190 condos in the main college building
- boutique hotel in center of campus
- 600 apartment units along Lancaster Avenue

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Are you sure that wasn't the lot at 9th? There wasn't anything there over the weekend, although there was machinery on Washington Ave for some work on the streets.
Sorry, you're correct. There was heavy equipment at the Anastasi's site @ 9th and Washington. Does anyone know if the previous plans fell thru for this lot? I saw some rendering a while ago but I haven't seen any updates.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Kid View Post
Sorry, you're correct. There was heavy equipment at the Anastasi's site @ 9th and Washington. Does anyone know if the previous plans fell thru for this lot? I saw some rendering a while ago but I haven't seen any updates.
The current owners of the lot bought it in 2017, and zoning permits were pulled in 2019. My guess would be that the current plan is dead, but who knows.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:10 PM

One would think that, when looking at all the renderings we have seen on these pages, that new development would be fueling a boom in tree plantings. I guess all this time, those trees shown in renderings have been just for show? Maybe this bill will simply help keep developers more honest about their plans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development