HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 11:57 PM

Mississauga: Central Erin Mills

All photos taken on October 21, 2021.

3a

3b

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:13 PM

Any interior photos of that glass dome thing? Toronto's suburbs will never not be strange looking to me. There seems to be a vaguely eastern bloc character about the GTA...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Any interior photos of that glass dome thing? Toronto's suburbs will never not be strange looking to me. There seems to be a vaguely eastern bloc character about the GTA...
All of Ontario, not just the GTA, go to Hamilton, Ottawa, London, Kitchener, Guelph, St. Catherine's, etc... they all have the same built environment and are all building a ton of new highrises.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 6:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

gulliver's baseball on the mall.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:05 PM

That glass dome/globe thing used to be a clock tower but it was recently replaced. I vaguely remember the old Meadowvale Town Centre nearby had a clock tower too before the mall died and got converted into a power centre.

Erin Mills Town Centre not doing so great either, as you can probably see from all the empty space surrounding it. Parking demand not so high. Hopefully with the new condos popping up, more residents within walking distance will help. Maybe all those greenfields can be used for high-rise condos/office/retail developments instead of parking lots.

I visit the mall sometimes to shop for CDs at Sunrise Records, maybe the last record store in Mississauga. It would be interesting to photograph the interiors of one the last surviving malls in Mississauga, including that globe/dome thing, especially to test out my new ultra-wide lens, Olympus 8-25mm F4, but it is private property, and their website does say they do not allow photography, so too bad.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

My in-laws live not too far from this mall. I remember the clocktower, and the reno. It is a distant second-place indoor mall to Square One. I still prefer indoor malls over what has come since (big box barf powercentres of irredeemably ugliness).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 9:17 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

are they going to redevelop the mall?

Quote:
The homes in Central Erin Mills range from condos and condo townhouses (with a prevalent number of townhouse type properties) making up just a little more than half of all sales, to large executive style detached homes. Prices here are on the higher end of average when compared to other north Mississauga neighbourhoods, albeit with a wide range of options in various price points depending on what is most important to you (are you happy with a one-bedroom starter condo close to the hospital, or are you looking for a 3 bedroom home and a backyard for the kids?). There are definitely cheaper homes to be found in other north Mississauga neighbourhoods, but the quality schools here in Erin Mills is what drives the appeal (and pricing)
Quote:
Central Erin Mills is a good mix of suburban feeling homes and streets, with easy car access to many amenities. There are a few condo developments springing up around Credit Valley Hospital which is bringing an updated vibe to the community which can make housing options here more attainable for some.

The Central Erin Mills area is one of the fastest-growing in Mississauga – originally planned and developed by Cadillac Fairview on 32 acres of farmland, this community has come a long way. Although there is still more development to come, this community is still rife with green space and walking trails.

Shopping is what you would expect in a suburban neighbourhood: the Erin Mills Town Centre went through a massive revamp – and although this shopping centre doesn’t come close to rivalling the infamous Mississauga Square One, it has a decent number of shops and eateries that can help keep you local on weekends.

Most of the hype in this area surrounds the availability of top-performing school districts; so if schools and suburban living are a priority for you, this could be a great contender (for all school ages). Castle Bridge Public School, Thomas St Middle School, and John Fraser Secondary School are all great public catchments in the Central Erin Mills area – covering your kids from elementary to high school, and the Catholic choices are just as great.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:04 PM

I visited Mississauga 15 years ago and remember thinking that it looked weird, like I was in East Berlin before the wall came down, lol

I can see that it still looks weird, but I'm not hating it, it's like a much better version of commieblock satellite cities in eastern Europe

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 11:22 PM

I made a "commie-block" or "eastern" themed thread about Mississauga a couple of years with my The North American Moscow thread a couple of years back. You guys sound like might be interested in seeing that.

The mall is not super busy but it is still doing okay. Plus there is still a lot of undeveloped land around it as you can see. Maybe 8 or 9 more condo or office towers can still be built on those greenfields. So no reason to redevelop the mall. The mall itself one of the main attractions for such high-density development to begin with, and new developments can only help the mall get busier.

This node and the rest of the Eglinton Avenue corridor in Mississauga was originally much more ambitious in terms of density, and Eglinton was even designated a major transit corridor alongside Hurontario Street and Dundas Street, but ultimately the City of Mississauga did not fulfill those ambitions. Not enough demand for high-density living in this area at the time. You can see towers still under construction even now, and of course the land that still remains undeveloped. Maybe not enough investment in transit at the time to justify higher densities and small homes, and maybe you can see the result of the lack of transit priority in these photos.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 6:51 AM

The glass orb would be perfect to repurpose as a giant version of those daredevil motorcycle domes we used to witness at traveling circuses.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 8:30 AM

The fat birds (or ducks) are a bit weird in such a place, but overall, it's not bad
Cross the D400 inspection chamber cover

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 9:02 AM

My Cousin Karen lives there. The sameness of the Housing and neighborhood's is slightly disconcerting. I got lost every time I rode my bike to Fresh foods. Then I discovered Britannia Bakery. I felt comfortable riding my Bike there. Even in the dead of winter the municipality does a great job keeping the sidewalks and trails clear. The Riverwood trails are fun to explore.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 10:13 PM

^ Churchill Meadows neighbourhood is next to Central Erin Mills, and it is kinda interesting due to the New Urbanist features. Not nearly as ambitious as what's going on in Markham and Oakville, but maybe it is still worth a photothread one day.

It's great to hear feedback about riding a bike here from someone from the US. Doctor doesn't want me to ride bike anymore because of seizures, but I am still excited about the improvements to the cycling infrastructure happening all over the city in recent years.

I haven't spent much time photographing the urban environment since COVID, so I spend more time in places like Riverwood as well. Of course, I won't post photos of those kind of places on SSP, but I do post them to Flickr, so if you interested you can see my Riverwood Trails photos from last summer and fall: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dreams...77720296108158

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 1:15 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

sort of reminds me of potomac yards in arlington, beige stucco big box stuck amongst what is now a condo neighborhood with office (more urban than this one so even more disconcerting)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
^ Churchill Meadows neighbourhood is next to Central Erin Mills, and it is kinda interesting due to the New Urbanist features. Not nearly as ambitious as what's going on in Markham and Oakville, but maybe it is still worth a photothread one day.

It's great to hear feedback about riding a bike here from someone from the US. Doctor doesn't want me to ride bike anymore because of seizures, but I am still excited about the improvements to the cycling infrastructure happening all over the city in recent years.

I haven't spent much time photographing the urban environment since COVID, so I spend more time in places like Riverwood as well. Of course, I won't post photos of those kind of places on SSP, but I do post them to Flickr, so if you interested you can see my Riverwood Trails photos from last summer and fall: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dreams...77720296108158
Maybe you can answer a question for me. Do those fallen trees stitch themselves together in the gulleys and ravines? I have never seen that anywhere else. The other thing I have noticed is that the downfalls don't seem to fall windward like everywhere else in Ontario when viewed from above. I find the lack of trail nazis refreshing also. I am constantly being yelled at when I ride in the Don Valley and Waterdown trails. Dog Walkers mostly.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
Maybe you can answer a question for me. Do those fallen trees stitch themselves together in the gulleys and ravines? I have never seen that anywhere else. The other thing I have noticed is that the downfalls don't seem to fall windward like everywhere else in Ontario when viewed from above. I find the lack of trail nazis refreshing also. I am constantly being yelled at when I ride in the Don Valley and Waterdown trails. Dog Walkers mostly.
People yelling at you for riding a bike? Really? Maybe trails in Mississauga less crowded, not as much as culture of active transportation compared to Toronto and Hamilton. Maybe more space to build trails, more of them, and wider too, so hopefully they will be able to prevent conflict, because what you describe should not be happening. I just get out the cyclist's way and they get out of my way, if there are any problems, more attention is needed to fix them. Dog walkers who don't clean up after their dogs are the ones I have a problem with.

Are you referring to fallen trees neatly stacked on top of each other like this:

If so, then sorry I don't know much about that, or about the "downfalls" you refer to. I did not spend a lot of time in these parks until recently either.

I did talk to a lady a few months ago who regularly walks along the trail near my house and cuts the vines in the park to prevent them from killing the trees. So there are local residents volunteering to maintain these parks and trails, and maybe that is not true in every park in every city.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
People yelling at you for riding a bike? Really? Maybe trails in Mississauga less crowded, not as much as culture of active transportation compared to Toronto and Hamilton. Maybe more space to build trails, more of them, and wider too, so hopefully they will be able to prevent conflict, because what you describe should not be happening. I just get out the cyclist's way and they get out of my way, if there are any problems, more attention is needed to fix them. Dog walkers who don't clean up after their dogs are the ones I have a problem with.

Are you referring to fallen trees neatly stacked on top of each other like this:

If so, then sorry I don't know much about that, or about the "downfalls" you refer to. I did not spend a lot of time in these parks until recently either.

I did talk to a lady a few months ago who regularly walks along the trail near my house and cuts the vines in the park to prevent them from killing the trees. So there are local residents volunteering to maintain these parks and trails, and maybe that is not true in every park in every city.
Yes. How does that happen? Downfalls are trees that fall during a wind storm. They fall east to west most everywhere.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 10:06 PM

I went to a park near my house earlier today and noticed many trees nearly fallen west to east in a small space, but wind was also blowing in the same direction, so it's not always blowing from the east. One tree falling might also cause another then another and a whole cascade, so they might fall together. I also noticed many trees fallen east to west.

I think the Riverwood photos also show them fallen in all directions, but I am not sure. As I said these places kinda new to me, so I will have to pay more attention in the future. I have recently been wondering why the trees even fall so much, I was thinking that it might yet another disturbance caused by people visiting these parks and trails. It is good that it is just a natural phenomenon.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 11:52 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
All of Ontario, not just the GTA, go to Hamilton, Ottawa, London, Kitchener, Guelph, St. Catherine's, etc... they all have the same built environment and are all building a ton of new highrises.
St. Catharines

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos