HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:04 PM

Can we not do this tangent again pls

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:46 PM

Guys, we’re getting way off topic. Please end this convo now.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
University place 3.0.
Steel on this one appears to be at least 4 floors off the ground.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 8:26 PM

My God people. Take it to the DMs.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 8:56 PM
Chris

Feel free to take this post down if it violates the rules, not trying to be a debbie downer...

But is this disturbing to anyone? Does anyone sense repercussions because of this crisis? Does anyone predict aa decrease in violence? Why won't the mayor declare a State of Emergency? 2022 must show some level of crime/murder reduction.

I know the month is not over, but murders are up 19% from 2020/2021 and Philadelphia is leading the nation in murder counts and per capita murder rate for cities over 1M people.

https://www.phillypolice.com/crime-maps-stats/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I know that Temple is a state-related university with a smaller (but still sizable) endowment, but I wish that Temple would make a similar commitment to schools in its surrounding neighborhood. Temple could cause the area surrounding it to explode if it made such a commitment to Meade, Dunbar, Ludlow, McKinley, or any of the others below Lehigh Avenue.

Bringing it back to Penn, I hope that they will continue to invest in other West/Southwest Philly schools, such as Comgeys and Harrington.
Honestly. This seems like such a no-brainer as a ground level step towards addressing underserved educational hubs in poor areas. These types of investments have a direct impact.

How about you cough some up, TEMPLE?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Honestly. This seems like such a no-brainer as a ground level step towards addressing underserved educational hubs in poor areas. These types of investments have a direct impact.

How about you cough some up, TEMPLE?
Yea, I mean Temple ain't UPenn but even to them, 5 million is nothing. Weren't they involved with a school in some way? Or is that over?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 10:28 PM
Chris

Another pesky parking lit bites the dust. I'm interested to see the renders. There will certainly fetch high prices.

High End Homes Will Replace Pine Street Surface Lot

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...et-surface-lot

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Feel free to take this post down if it violates the rules, not trying to be a debbie downer...

But is this disturbing to anyone? Does anyone sense repercussions because of this crisis? Does anyone predict aa decrease in violence? Why won't the mayor declare a State of Emergency? 2022 must show some level of crime/murder reduction.

I know the month is not over, but murders are up 19% from 2020/2021 and Philadelphia is leading the nation in murder counts and per capita murder rate for cities over 1M people.

I hear ya. Obviously, its horrible and something needs to change. I’ve been observing however, it seems as if the market and demand has baked in the crime impact. Building permits and development are at record highs in the city. Perhaps, there’s an enormous market of young, single professionals that are emerging who aren’t getting married until their late 20’s/30’s and have no reason to live in a three bedroom house with a yard in the burbs. Perhaps they’d even take living in a high crime city over it. This is speculation on my part but my gut feels like this might be true.

Also, if you look at the layouts of a lot of these new developments, they’re definitely not oriented for young families. Rather, they usually pack in a bunch of small yet attractive units with lots of amenity perks targeted for upper middle class recent college grads. Sure, you throw in a few Laurels and Arthauses into the mix but the aforementioned residential model seems to be what’s booming right now.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jan 20, 2022 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:54 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Another pesky parking lit bites the dust. I'm interested to see the renders. There will certainly fetch high prices.

High End Homes Will Replace Pine Street Surface Lot

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...et-surface-lot
Interesting in that article it shows the 1910 Map and it shows 8 properties with a courtyard running down the middle called "Bowers place" Anyone know when this was destroyed and what it looked like?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Interesting in that article it shows the 1910 Map and it shows 8 properties with a courtyard running down the middle called "Bowers place" Anyone know when this was destroyed and what it looked like?
I was curious about that as well. They must have been TINY trinities, which is out of character for the area. I'm wondering also if these new homes will front Hicks instead of Pine (except maybe the corner house), I'm thinking they'd be too skinny otherwise. I would LOVE to see the parking lot at 17th and pine to be redeveloped. The only good thing about it is a nice skyline view lol, but if you think about it it's insane that that parking lot is still there. It has to be one of the most valuable properties in the city because of its size and location (but would be more if upzoned of course)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I was curious about that as well. They must have been TINY trinities, which is out of character for the area.
There are actually some trinities a block away on the 1600 blocks of Waverly and Addison. So while not plentiful, they did and do exist.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I hear ya. Obviously, its horrible and something needs to change. I’ve been observing however, it seems as if the market and demand has baked in the crime impact. Building permits and development are at record highs in the city. Perhaps, there’s an enormous market of young, single professionals that are emerging who aren’t getting married until their late 20’s/30’s and have no reason to live in a three bedroom house with a yard in the burbs. Perhaps they’d even take living in a high crime city over it.This is speculation on my part but my gut feels like this might be true.

Also, if you look at the layouts of a lot of these new developments, they’re definitely not oriented for young families. Rather, they usually pack in a bunch of small yet attractive units with lots of amenity perks targeted for upper middle class recent college grads. Sure, you throw in a few Laurels and Arthauses into the mix but the aforementioned residential model seems to be what’s booming right now.
I can kinda speak to the bolded, though I'm a slightly different case, as I grew up in a high-crime neighborhood in the city. My fiance and I are both young (25 and 26, respectively) professionals who are currently looking to buy in the city. My fiance is not as passionate about city living as I am, but she would still prefer to be in the city. Though we are on track to get married and will certainly have kids in the next 5+ years, we're looking to stay for the long-term.

To us, crime can happen anywhere, but experiencing it can be minimized. We currently live in Fairmount, which has very minimal crime. If I were to ignore the news, then it would seem as though crime doesn't exist in the city. The areas that we're looking in (mostly the Northwest) are very similar. Additionally, I always tell people that as long as you're not involved in the lifestyle and remain vigilant, then you have very little to worry about. Random crime isn't non-existent, but the vast majority of violent crime in the city is targeted. I feel like a lot of people in my age group not only know and accept the risks, but we're also cognizant of exactly why many neighborhoods in Philadelphia declined--deindustrialization, combined with blockbusting, redlining, and the fact that this country effectively subsidized the growth of auto-oriented suburbs.

If I'm being honest, I feel a greater sense of danger out in the suburbs than in the city. My chances of being hit by a car due to auto-centric suburban design are MUCH higher than my chances of being a victim of a crime here in the city.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
113-29 Berkley Street
-Located in Germantown
-6 floors
-143 residential units and ground floor retail/commercial
PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20220118...1-2022-CDR.pdf
This is a wild project and I'm surprised no one has talked about it yet - brand new 143 unit building across the street from the Wayne Junction station? This area is blowing up but it seems like the other shoe hasn't dropped...until this development. Really excited to see what this area looks like 10 years from now.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:43 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The city is pretty auto-centric too. Car insurance rates are higher with a philly city zip than the surrounding suburban zips. I would think about that again. Safety is all relative, but random mugging more likely in the city. My roommate was robbed at gunpoint when I was in college twice by the same guy. The second time, he said to him, do you remember me as he took his wallet for the second time.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The second time, he said to him, do you remember me as he took his wallet for the second time.
Well what did he say?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
This is a wild project and I'm surprised no one has talked about it yet - brand new 143 unit building across the street from the Wayne Junction station? This area is blowing up but it seems like the other shoe hasn't dropped...until this development. Really excited to see what this area looks like 10 years from now.

agreed, I really hope it gets built. Some conversions have happened near the station but overall the area doesnt LOOK much different because nothing this large has been built ground up near the station.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:

He wont declare state of emergency, he wont ask for national guard help, he wont unveil any new policing strategies, etc. His answer is essentially covid and poverty are the causes and all of his solutions are long term service based programs that wont do anything in the short term. He's been called out by people on council and others, nothing seems to move him.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I can kinda speak to the bolded, though I'm a slightly different case, as I grew up in a high-crime neighborhood in the city. My fiance and I are both young (25 and 26, respectively) professionals who are currently looking to buy in the city. My fiance is not as passionate about city living as I am, but she would still prefer to be in the city. Though we are on track to get married and will certainly have kids in the next 5+ years, we're looking to stay for the long-term.

To us, crime can happen anywhere, but experiencing it can be minimized. We currently live in Fairmount, which has very minimal crime. If I were to ignore the news, then it would seem as though crime doesn't exist in the city. The areas that we're looking in (mostly the Northwest) are very similar. Additionally, I always tell people that as long as you're not involved in the lifestyle and remain vigilant, then you have very little to worry about. Random crime isn't non-existent, but the vast majority of violent crime in the city is targeted. I feel like a lot of people in my age group not only know and accept the risks, but we're also cognizant of exactly why many neighborhoods in Philadelphia declined--deindustrialization, combined with blockbusting, redlining, and the fact that this country effectively subsidized the growth of auto-oriented suburbs.

If I'm being honest, I feel a greater sense of danger out in the suburbs than in the city. My chances of being hit by a car due to auto-centric suburban design are MUCH higher than my chances of being a victim of a crime here in the city.
Im not trying to overhype the situation, but I think you are really under selling whats going on. Stray bullets are hitting parked cars and structures all over the city- this happened at 12th and Spruce last year. Things are different from the 80s and 90s in terms of the geographic areas affected by this stuff. MOre and more gun related incidents are happening in places like Mt. Airy and NE Philly- areas that used to be relatively immune from these issues. I absolutely do not agree with the notion that crime really doesn't affect regular folks who arent "living the street life"- this is not the crack era where you could trace most incidents to drug turf wars, etc. I live on the border of upper north and NW philly and a lot is going on up here. While homicides aren't super common, shootings, car break-ins, robbery, burgarly etc. are coming far too common. I saw a post on nextdoor recently from a father speaking about his son (29 year old white guy FYI) who was killed after thanksgiving in Mt. Airy while out with his dog- I don't even recall hearing about the incident before. The status quo on this is unacceptable and while it may not be hurting development yet (part of that is likely due to the tax abatement change) it will eventually if nothing is done.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:07 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Well what did he say?
My bad...he said what was in quotation below. And when he said that like last time, a finger or a weapon was pressed against his back.

he said to him, "do you remember me" as he took his wallet for the second time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development