HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Waldorf Astoria Hotel & Residences Miami in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Miami Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 4:21 PM

Panorama Tower has to be the most generic Miami design ever.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 8:39 PM

From the Waldorf Astoria Miami Instagram page.

Here is the story's URL to scroll through and look at images and videos.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/wa...8853662438167/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 9:57 PM

Yaaaaaas!!!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:17 AM

By floor count, this is the tallest building currently under construction outside of Asia!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:39 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
By floor count, this is the tallest building currently under construction outside of Asia!
Yea, I think they're real floors too and not skipped numbers like some buildings with higher ceilings.

The last inhabitable level is likely beyond the supertall mark, too.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea, I think they're real floors too and not skipped numbers like some buildings with higher ceilings.

The last inhabitable level is likely beyond the supertall mark, too.

https://floridayimby.com/2021/10/wal...enderings.html

Last edited by UrbanImpact; Oct 28, 2022 at 3:36 AM. Reason: For the nookie

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:10 AM
DENNAB

Thanks! Is that above sea level or ground? Hard to tell exactly at the bottom.

I gather it's 1,047' to the roof with 92 floors and 979' to the last occupied floor, but it's a double floor so the upper slab is probably 990'+, thus supertall.

Unless it's sea level. Still cool though...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:34 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Wow, that's amazing, congrats Miami! That's not abad looking building, even if it's not my cuppa joe.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post

I've checked the diagnostics of this tower from TheNextMiami and Wikipedia, and isn't it supposed to be 1,049 ft (320 m) rather than 1,041 ft? If so, the OP needs to change the header just so we can make it exact. And of course, I'm excited to see this thing come up and I'm also happy to see Miami become a fully fledged major city. Welcome to the club!!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:14 PM

Not a fan of its design for Miami.

Miami's skyline is so damn boxy as it is. I would have loved to see something much sleeker.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 12:12 AM

Consider this. It's a very realistic possibility that this tower could face a Cat 5 hurricane. Those top floors could see winds over 200mph and gusts to 225mph. This tower will need to sway 4 feet it more. The glass needs to be impact resistant. The lobby needs to be built for potential surge through. Any underground facilities will flood. Any generators need to be lifted above the max surge zone. I guess what I am saying is you need a developer on point with hurricane code and they need to understand it's not a question of if this tower will see 200 plus. It's when.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:16 AM

This building was actually featured in a WSJ article and answers most of what was said above.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/miamis-...nd-11667307538
By Deborah Acosta:

Quote:
Miami’s Waldorf Astoria residential tower, poised to be South Florida’s tallest skyscraper, is a test case for new techniques meant to enable the more than 1,000-foot tall building to withstand hurricane-force winds and remain stable near sea level.
A major challenge has been to create a tower that could rise that high on land near sea level, which requires digging deep into the earth, past the porous limestone and water table and into the more stable rock below it. Buildings must not tremble under the force of hurricane gales that are increasingly common in the area.

PMG, which is developing the Waldorf tower, said the structure will require Miami’s first tuned mass damper, which is like a pendulum, to be installed at the top of the building to keep it from swaying in the wind.
Developers are also utilizing a specialized technology called deep soil mixing to strengthen the ground beneath it, which they say will cause minimal vibrations to the buildings adjacent during construction.

The Waldorf building is so heavy and so large that the 150-knot or 200-knot hurricane-strength winds would not affect it, said Mr. Maloney.

“The building code in Miami is the strictest in the country, and that’s true about 1,000-foot towers or eight-story towers,” said Ryan Shear, Managing Partner of PMG. “There’s not a city I feel safer in than Miami in terms of hurricane code.”

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:11 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Consider this. It's a very realistic possibility that this tower could face a Cat 5 hurricane. Those top floors could see winds over 200mph and gusts to 225mph. This tower will need to sway 4 feet it more. The glass needs to be impact resistant. The lobby needs to be built for potential surge through. Any underground facilities will flood. Any generators need to be lifted above the max surge zone. I guess what I am saying is you need a developer on point with hurricane code and they need to understand it's not a question of if this tower will see 200 plus. It's when.
They had to have taken this into account, I couldn't imagine otherwise.

Other Miami skyscrapers, though not as tall, have survived hurricanes.

I'm just as, if not more worried about the rising sea levels. It's amazing how many people are buying properties in Miami. It's great the city is booming but imagine the whole place being underwater in 20 or so years.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 5:15 AM

Surely they've considered such a thing, not that Miami has been hit by a Hurricane or even a Tropical Depression directly in recently memory.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
All these items are covered in our codes. Impact windows are mandatory in Miami-Dade and Broward counties from houses to warehouses (there is a provision for shutter use with non-impact glass, however, that wont happen in a skyscraper. The flood reviewers requires tons of waterproofing (I've had to do it on my projects). Regarding the structure, Developers aren't going to build a failing billion dollar building. Structural Engineers ran their calculations early on in the design process.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Surely they've considered such a thing, not that Miami has been hit by a Hurricane or even a Tropical Depression directly in recently memory.
Depends on what your definition of "directly" is.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Depends on what your definition of "directly" is.
The eyewall or center of low pressure passes over the downtown area.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
The eyewall or center of low pressure passes over the downtown area.
You are playing with fire here.

Guys def appreciate the replies and references. I wasn't aware a mass tuned damper was a part of the tower. That does alleviate some of my concerns. Are generators required for new construction for life and safety? They need to be raised over 25 feet if there are.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 5:55 PM

I don't like this at all. The stacked toy blocks thing is a dumb ugly gimmick. I thought we left that kind of tacky stuff in the 2000's.

Nice Miami finally gets a supertall but this ain't it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction