HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 6:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Macy's has upsized this tower to 1.5 million sq. ft. Almost certainly a supertall. Could have a massive presence, given it will be built atop the existing structure.

Macy’s Planning Larger-Than-Expected Office Tower Atop Flagship Store
https://www.wsj.com/articles/macys-p...re-11580853551

A little more from that...

Macy’s Planning Larger-Than-Expected Office Tower Atop Flagship Store

Quote:
Chief Executive Jeff Gennette said in an interview that the retailer aims to build 1.5 million square feet in office space above the block-long building that houses one of the largest department stores in the world. Previous news reports said Macy’s was pursuing a tower with 1.2 million square feet of space.

The tower would include a sky lobby with sweeping views of the city. Macy’s also has indicated it would help with upgrades to the surrounding area, including subway stations.

Macy’s has been in discussions with city and state officials to get clearance for the project since at least last year, according to the company’s public filings. Mr. Gennette said details are still being worked out and he plans to discuss them on Wednesday at an event with analysts and investors mapping out the next leg of Macy’s strategy, which includes closing 125 department stores during the next three years.

The company’s development plans reflect both how big-box retailers and department stores are eager to find new revenue streams and how the Manhattan office market is heating up.
Quote:
While the rise of e-commerce has hurt retail rents, growing demand from tech and other creative industries for New York City office space has helped power that market. In 2019, Manhattan office leasing rose nearly 16% from the previous year to 48.9 million square feet, according to Newmark Group Inc.

“The highest and best use in the current market is often tech office,” said Alexander Goldfarb, senior REIT analyst for Piper Sandler Cos . “Before it was street retail, and before that it was condos.”
Quote:
The Herald Square location sits near Penn Station in a neighborhood where firms from the tech, advertising, media and design sectors have been expanding into buildings once dominated by apparel production.

New mixed-use developments in the Hudson Yards district rising near Herald Square have attracted an array of major companies including social-media giant Facebook Inc. and money manager BlackRock Inc., raising the potential for office demand spilling into neighboring areas.
Quote:
Macy’s already has used the model of selling developers air rights and floors above its retail operations to build commercial space.

In 2016, Macy’s sold the remaining upper floors of its downtown Brooklyn store and air rights for the site and a nearby parking garage to real-estate company Tishman Speyer for $270 million.

New for-profit school Whittle School & Studios will make the 10 floors above that Macy’s store its home.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Grabbed these early images from the presentation....may not be what ultimately rises.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:38 AM
them bones

Nice. Obviously not finished, but that gives an idea of scale. That's around 950'.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:00 AM

I like it. Looks nice.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 12:41 PM
BANNED

That’s an impressive tower!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:26 PM

That looks pretty good. Will help fill out the southern end of the Midtown core skyline.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That looks pretty good. Will help fill out the southern end of the Midtown core skyline.
Yeah, it’s closer to 15 Penn than I thought it would be. I thought it would be on the eastern end, but it’s midblock. That’s perfectly setting us up for some Grand Central-like density around Penn Station.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:53 PM
DENNAB

It's kinda fat but does look 900-1000 feet tall, although it's hard to tell with the angle towards the Penn Plaza building (which is 750').

I really like the crown though.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looking like a near super tall based on the surrounding towers known heights.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:03 PM
New Yorker for life

FXcollaborative is also working on the overall master planning for the area. I suspect that by the time we get to the approvals process, the proposal will be a little larger than what those initial renderings suggest.

Here’s the rest of the overall Macy’s strategy, if anyone’s interested.
https://content-az.equisolve.net/mac...20+%282%29.pdf

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Diversification!

This makes One Penn Plaza at 751 ft look not only short, but thin. This is a massive tower with huge floor plates. Can't wait for the whole Penn Station district to really kick off. I do hope its larger than Hudson Yards in time or somewhat in magnitude.

P.Station area, HY Area, and Midtown East... the future flower pots of super talls.

Looking at the rendering again, and I do hope your right NYGuy, this looks like a solid super tall. Just off that rendering.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 12:38 AM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post

Nice!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:06 PM

If done right, that wavy glass could look really good.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 7:24 PM

I guess I was hoping for something contextual with the base in proportions and materials, or at least something tall to make its mark on the skyline.

This is neither.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 12:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

I was kinda hoping for something spaceship-y and elliptical, so I didn't get what I wanted either.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I was kinda hoping for something spaceship-y and elliptical, so I didn't get what I wanted either.
LOL. Maybe a megatall.

But this tower will be so close to 15 Penn, and I wasn't expecting it to top 15 Penn's height (either version). The new tower added to the original store will be a 4 msf massive complex.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
FXcollaborative is also working on the overall master planning for the area. I suspect that by the time we get to the approvals process, the proposal will be a little larger than what those initial renderings suggest.
That would be nice, the design is great but a little too squat. An extra 150' would help a great deal from a proportion perspective.

The height of this render looks more like 850' to me based on 1 Bryant Park.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

The new tower added to the original store will be a 4 msf massive complex.

hmm, so at lets say $80/sqft that would be $320M a month coming in if macys went under and they just rented it all out.

can you even imagine $320M coming in -- every month -- in perpetuity?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals