HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy560 View Post
When will final population figures for cities and municipalities be published? I’m struggling to find out when we’ll know NYC’s final number for 2020!
I am presuming it's this rather vague blurb from the Census schedule:

Quote:
By August 16, 2021: States will receive the data they need to begin redistricting in August. The Census Bureau will also share this information with the public. However, the data will be in a format that requires additional handling and software to extract familiar tables. COVID-19-related delays and prioritizing the delivery of the apportionment results delayed our original redistricting data delivery plan.
(Fingers crossed for high 8s in NYC)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 5:35 PM

Amazing result for NYC.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 6:56 PM

Wut? Is that from the Census data that's supposed to be released today? I knew we had grown but 8.8M? Dayum.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Umm, it's weird that LA is still nowhere close to 4 million. I thought LA crossed that figure years ago? Or did it cross 4 million in 2017-2018, then decline?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:16 PM
Posh

Oh well, so much for this guess from 5 years ago. But I was pretty close!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
I predict the 2020 census will show 8,888,888.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 10:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Been a while, but guess we have to update this.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08...s-results-data

New York City adds 629,000 people, defying predictions of its decline.

— Annie Correal

Quote:
New York City has grown by more than 629,000 people — or nearly 8 percent — since 2010, reaching 8.8 million and defying predictions that its population was on the decline.

“The Big Apple just got bigger!” Mayor Bill de Blasio wrote on Twitter, attributing the growth to his administration’s investment in prekindergarten programs, safe streets and working families.

But city officials said the increase was at least in part a result of getting a better count.

In recent years, New York’s Department of City Planning, which supplies data to the Census Bureau, added 265,000 housing units that had been missing from the bureau’s list, including both “hard to find” and newly constructed units.

“This allowed the Census Bureau to enumerate half a million people which they would have otherwise missed,” said Arun Peter Lobo, New York City’s chief demographer. “Because we told them, they knew exactly where to go.”

Each of the city’s five boroughs grew, with Brooklyn and Queens being the most populous. The Bronx’s population reached a record of 1.47 million, surpassing its 1970 high. Brooklyn, with 2.74 million people, came in only 2,000 people shy of its 1950 peak. With the new census figures, New York City now accounts for nearly 44 percent of the state’s total population.

Wonder if the city will hit 9 million officially in the next decade. Build that housing!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 10:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Amazing surprise.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 10:29 PM

A certain orange someone repeatedly called NYC "a lawless ghost town", even repeating this canard in the Presidential debates. He even claimed "no one lives there anymore; it's sad!".

Can you say "fakenews"?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 10:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Let's try to keep this thread Trump (politics) free. He doesn't even live there anymore.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
A certain orange someone repeatedly called NYC "a lawless ghost town", even repeating this canard in the Presidential debates. He even claimed "no one lives there anymore; it's sad!".

Can you say "fakenews"?
Wot?

It's August, in the year 2021.
We're all talking about population numbers, on a spreadsheet.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 11:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Let's try to keep this thread Trump (politics) free. He doesn't even live there anymore.
Agreed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:22 AM

Is there an explanation for why the yearly count was so low?

It seems odd that it was under-counting by 400,000 - 500,000, IIRC.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:49 AM

NYC reigns!!!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Is there an explanation for why the yearly count was so low?

It seems odd that it was under-counting by 400,000 - 500,000, IIRC.
The cities have always said they were undercounted, but NY also addressed that by adding housing units that were missed by the bureau.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:21 AM

Dang, wonder if Seattle missed anything.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:07 PM
New Yorker for life

https://nypost.com/2021/08/12/nycs-p...ion-us-census/

NYC’s population swells to 8.8 million: US Census

By Nolan Hicks and Sean Conlon
August 12, 2021

Quote:
The city’s population swelled by more than 600,000 people over the last decade to a record 8.8 million — as the Big Apple gained more residents than any other major city in the country, new data from the U.S. Census Bureau revealed Thursday.

All told, 629,057 moved to the five boroughs between 2010 and 2020, which is more people than moved to Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Los Angeles combined.

The massive figures come even though officials and experts feared the Census — conducted in the midst of the devastating first wave of the coronavirus pandemic last spring — would undercount the city’s population, costing the Big Apple billions in federal aid.

It equates to a massive 7.7% jump in population — and will help counter fears that the coronavirus pandemic may have cast a permanent pall on the city’s appeal.
Quote:
The other cities on the top 10 list saw their populations grow too, but none came close to gaining as many people as Gotham.

Houston picked up 205,000, while Los Angeles and Dallas grew by 106,000 and 107,000 people respectively.

Philadelphia — the only other major northeast city to break into the top 10 — saw its population tick up by 78,000.

Meanwhile, Chicago reversed some of its population decline from a decade ago and added 54,000 new residents, bringing its total population to 2.7 million.

Brooklyn was the city’s fastest-growing borough, adding 231,374 residents over the last decade, which pushed its population to 2.7 million. That 9.2 percent bump means it now has as many people as the entire city of Chicago.

I think the fear of an undercount was stronger this go around, and the cities put a greater effort into seeing that it doesn’t happen. The growth is due in large part to better counting. It just shows the level of undercounting previously.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Very damn close actually! Should had a betting pool going and you probably would've won! Great guess work

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 3:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I typically like to go by the State/local counts (city municipalities). They tend to be closer to the reality versus the Census (Federal).

The 8,622,698 is great, but I have a suspicion its higher due to the undocumented. Even though the census factors them in, I speculate there is an error in that sector.

Just for sake of pondering, lets assume a 2% error in the figures (upwards), it would push the population to 8,795,151. Point being, even if there is a hypothetical error of 1-2%, for a city this size, it starts to add up.

I think I won the competition for predictions.

I was promised a chocolate chip cookie and a hot Latina for my winnings?

8.8 million reality versus prediction of 8,795,151.

The price is right, census edition!

While 8.8 million is great, the real population is over 9 million! Tons of illegals.

Quote:
Close in the sense of the real population.

I'd imagine Corona kind of took a percent off.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:43 PM

This map (a bit slow to load) shows growth rates for the census tracts in the NY MSA. Healthy growth across the boroughs. Washington Heights/Inwood are the main decliners, although even then by only ~10%.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions