HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 1:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Stopped by the Memorial preview site on Vesey Street Sunday. The center has lots of info and preview clips, and most things WTC related as well as a model of the new WTC.
Definitely worth the visit for anyone going to the area as we near the anniversary...

Memorial renderings

Outside the fire station on Liberty, a tribute to some of the fallen...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 1:30 PM

Any info about remember day on next friday ?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 10:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattali View Post
Any info about remember day on next friday ?
I believe it will be the same as always, though there is supposed to be some access for family members on the actual site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 12:53 AM

I've been dieing to know what the hell is in the white tent in the complete memorial foot print. I thought I saw some disco lights inside it. hmmm. . . . .

Now I think I know why this project is taking so long...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Port Authority update...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 9:31 PM
New Yorker for life

morrongiello Sept. 11, 2009

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 12:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Port Authority update...

Taken from wtc.com

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 1:19 PM

I stopped by the memorial museum on Saturday, Sept 5th. Pretty moving. I hadn't been to the site in over a year. Lots of work being done. I notice that church st. is closed to foot traffic. I was wondering what that building being constructed south of the site was. I see its called 123 Washington st. Looks sharp. I probably picked the wrong weekend to go, tourist everywhere. Guess thats not a bad thing, helps the local economy.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 11:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
I probably picked the wrong weekend to go, tourist everywhere. Guess thats not a bad thing, helps the local economy.
There's always a lot of tourists down there, and that won't change. But being the 9/11 weekend, there probably was a little more, despite the weather.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 12:42 PM

Visible at Earthcam today :

-Pouring concrete on west memorial plazza,

-New beams on the south mezzanine on PATH line,

-Steel beams for memorial construction on S.W. plazza ?? Not exactly : removing ramp for red crawler crane.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:30 PM

Quote:

-Pouring concrete on west memorial plazza,

-Steel beams for memorial construction on S.W. plazza ?? Not exactly : removing ramp for red crawler crane.
It looks like they are relocating the red crane to the SW corner. They are probably ready to put up steel there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 4:40 PM

Quote:

From GreenwitchBoy WNY

New crane for SW plazza

More beams for mezzanine ...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 10:39 PM

I like the idea of the falling water and I'm always for planting trees, but overall the site looks pretty bland above ground. I would liked to have seen something like the twin towers 2 memorial for the top with the water falling inside of where the metal squares would be.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 12:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I like the idea of the falling water and I'm always for planting trees, but overall the site looks pretty bland above ground.
Part of the plan was to keep in minimal, reflecting the "absence" of the towers.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 1:20 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

This 9/11 tragedy is the most compelling and emotional event I have ever dealt with. I think about it at least 50 times everyday. I was in those towers several times only 2 months before the attacks. My friend lived in Jersey City and we always rode the PATH train to the WTC every day. I cry either on the inside everyday or with gushing tears some days, especially when I watch my videos or some youtube ones showing the victims and their pictures, or the audio,(Kevin Cosgrove, Melissa Doi,etc. along with some of the audio of the NYC firefighter/EMS/Port Authority audio transmissions). The buildings were staggering and beautiful (miss them very much ), but the thousands of people who lost their lives is just sickening.

If you haven't got this book, get it now: It's called: Portraits of 9/11/01 The Collected "Portraits of Grief" from the New York Times Revised Edition 2003 (IMO, the world's greatest newspaper).
It's 684 pages long. What a masterpiece and a great celebration of those people's lives. I don't know how I can express enough well wishes to the families and friends of the victims.

Sadly people are forgetting quickly. I didn't hear one person at work talk about it at all. The news coverage was a joke. MSNBC had the best coverage. CNN broke away several times to talk about meaningless, pathetic news. Of course FOX praised Bush the whole time like usual. He's like a god to them and the rest of the Republican party, even though the attacks happened under his watch as president. I don't need to say anymore about that prick.

The thing is I am just drawn to this tradgedy. It's like a magnet. I really don't know why? NYC is my favorite city, those were my favorite towers in the country, plus I was there, but I am sucked into it nearly every day. I have to watch the vidoes and read the portraits book all the time. It is so sad and makes me feel bad, but I feel like I have to relive it all the time Why? It's puzzling to me?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 3:27 AM

Probably because 9/11 was nearly artistic in how horrible it was. It really was the perfect crime. Absolutely insane.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 1:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Sadly people are forgetting quickly. I didn't hear one person at work talk about it at all. The news coverage was a joke. MSNBC had the best coverage. CNN broke away several times to talk about meaningless, pathetic news. Of course FOX praised Bush the whole time like usual. He's like a god to them and the rest of the Republican party, even though the attacks happened under his watch as president. I don't need to say anymore about that prick.
One of the New York papers had only a couple of pages of coverage if you can believe it (this is a town where the papers regularly give "special" wraparound sections for relatively simple things). But I guess its a part of moving on. The problem is, there has to be a balance between "moving on" and remembering that tragic day. In New York at least, there should be a massive vigil, maybe handheld candlelights from Downtown to Midtown. I say it should be something massive because that day shook the city - and the country (lets not forget the rest) to its very core. It should not be allowed to slip away into just another tragic day in the city's history of bad days.

As far as the towers go, I regularly watch my WTC videos, including it's construction and ultimately it's tragic end. It never gets old for me. In fact, watching the new construction now, its all the more important to remember how and why the WTC was built in the first place, something even a lot of critics of the rebuilding don't get.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:49 PM

Some questions

Hello,

First of all, I'm sorry for my poor English...

I have some questions, And I will appreciate if anyone can help me with them.

A. What is the section with the green steel (Marked with green arrow). Is it part of the memorial structure or is it something else?

B. Also, Why they are using green steel here (I guess water proof) instead of the regular steel being used on the rest of the memorial structure?

C. I understand that under the structure marked with red arrow, there are some PATH lines. Are they going to move them (or at least remove the roof) in order to complete the memorial structure, or are they going to build just above them?

Regards,
Tal.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtal View Post
Hello,

First of all, I'm sorry for my poor English...

I have some questions, And I will appreciate if anyone can help me with them.

A. What is the section with the green steel (Marked with green arrow). Is it part of the memorial structure or is it something else?

B. Also, Why they are using green steel here (I guess water proof) instead of the regular steel being used on the rest of the memorial structure?

C. I understand that under the structure marked with red arrow, there are some PATH lines. Are they going to move them (or at least remove the roof) in order to complete the memorial structure, or are they going to build just above them?

Regards,
Tal.
A: PATH South Mezzanine. It lies under the SE corner of the memorial plaza.

B: Dunno, maybe because they intend it to be exposed for a long time while they work on other stuff.

C: That is the temporary PATH station. If I understand correctly, they are going to build the roof of the new station over the existing strucure, then they are going to rebuild the inside "top down". The idea is to have the plaza finished by 2011.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture