HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Eh... that's been occurring before the plague. Brain fog is common amongst the sheep. That's why they are sheep and often flock to the Shepard which will guide them thru the fog. That Shepard could be the media, could be others, could be some form of guidance or instruction that does not come from them or... or it could just be self-realization that its not the end of the world and there have been much worse things out there.

Of course the Shepard could be bad and poison the sheep. With fear, with lies, with political manipulation.

I air on the side of self realization. Understanding the moment, and also respecting nature. Covid is not to be feared. Because it would be futile to fear it. So long as one gets the vaccine and aims for some sort of improvement in general health, you probally have a better chance of getting into a car wreck and dying that you do with Covid. And also, on a positive note, Covid could be a blessing. Because it made the sheep really miss the little things in life and how quickly they can all be taken away.

The minute we respect nature, if its Covid or Tornados or Climate... the better we will be. We are not above it, we are nature's bitch if she wants us to be.

On a side note, one has to be cognitively impaired to pay 200% more for the same shitty Apple product. Just relax... no need to get the latest thing. It's a phone, the past stuff is just as good, no need to panic. It has a camera, texts, internet, can call folks... that's all you need.

Which Shepard are you talking about? Sam or Alan?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 1:43 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Guy at work tested positive today, I was talking to him on Friday. The plague is amongst us all!
You’re obviously going to die now, so......

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
No covid in florida? What? It's getting like 5k cases a day. And its probably more because Florida doesn't really report it's real numbers.
But they’re not letting it ruin life like other places, and that’s what’s important.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
But they’re not letting it ruin life like other places, and that’s what’s important.
I think people getting hospitalized and dying is destroying lives actually.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:

Nah. You’re looking at it with your narrow social safety lens. For the urban politician and 10023, dead boomers are dead wood anyways.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
That’s inevitable.

Everyone is going to get this virus. If your overall health situation is such that it will kill you even when vaccinated, then that’s going to happen. Trying to avoid catching it forever is hopeless and the attempt causes too much collateral damage.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 5:39 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Nah. You’re looking at it with your narrow social safety lens. For the urban politician and 10023, dead boomers are dead wood anyways.
Don't lump me in with 10023, he's been the one with the strange "let the old people die" mantra

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 6:45 PM

Got back from London yesterday and some thoughts. The town was BUMPING! The streets were bustling, the stores were crowded and the pubs and restaurants were packed. Masks in restaurants and bars were not required, but were in stores. No masks at events.

When we checked into our hotel morning of the 10th the concierge arranged our expedited tests and had them submitted by 10 AM. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. We were supposed to self isolate until results came in but we walked around for a bit. Had our results by mid-afternoon. Stopped into a pub for a drink and then another at the hotel lobby bar. Had an earlier-ish dinner at the hotel and were off. We got tickets to see Meg Stalter at Soho Theatre. We wore our masks but probably 60% did not.

We were not asked for proof of vaccination at any show or restaurant, which is very different from Chicago. Supposedly that will go into effect on the 18th in the UK

Saturday more shopping and site seeing then dinner with friends at their home in Little Venice.
Sunday out to the country for day with friends in Essex. Went to a village pub which was PACKED. No masks.
Monday more site seeing and shopping. More masks in stores and restaurants. The show we were going to see, the concert that prompted the entire trip, Jessie Ware, was postponed until May. Too many crew members with Covid. Grrrrr....so we got tickets to the Panto at Royal Vauxhall Tavern. More people wearing masks, but still not everyone.
Tuesday, shopping, etc., with more people wearing masks everywhere. That evening went to see Dina Martina, at the same Soho Theatre. WAY more masks that night. The reality of Omicron is making people more cautious. But.....not in bars and restaurants. And even though it was wildly mild weather, no open windows (to be fair many of them cannot be opened).

I wore masks more than I generally would have because of the explosive growth of Omicron, and only because I didn't want to get stuck in England. I really wanted to be able to return to the States. Took our antigen on Tuesday to allow return to US, negative, then took a PCR yesterday. Fingers crossed for another negative.

Finally, we got a text from the young woman watching our dogs / house caught COVID. She was mortified. We told her to just open the windows when was leaving.

Great trip and hoping I stay negative long enough to visit my family next week.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 6:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Finally, we got a text from the young woman watching our dogs / house caught COVID. She was mortified. We told her to just open the windows when was leaving.
I think the norms should gradually shift back toward what they used to be with cold and flu. Don't go to work sick, don't cough all over people, but it's not the end of the world. Certain high-risk environments like care homes always took the flu seriously, but for most people getting sick sometimes is just a cost of doing business that they accept.

I wonder how much longer the idea that you should quarantine when waiting for positive results or for 10-14 days after a positive result even when vaccinated will/should last. At this point I think it's causing a lot more damage than covid is.

In parts of Canada there are still hysterical news articles about "exposure events" on buses and things like that, in environments where 90%+ of people are vaccinated and masked. We don't really know how many people here have been infected or recovered here because the surveillance is poor.

I have a feeling omicron will be pivotal. If it turns out to be a false alarm people will really be done with covid restrictions. If it turns out to be serious we could remain mired in a regime of restrictions for a long time, with no end in sight.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 7:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Thats going to happen either way.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 7:40 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder how much longer the idea that you should quarantine when waiting for positive results or for 10-14 days after a positive result even when vaccinated will/should last. At this point I think it's causing a lot more damage than covid is.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 7:48 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The reason for this is to prevent spreading it to other people. Once you test positive, even if fully vaccinated and boosted, you can still infect others.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 7:54 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The reason for this is to prevent spreading it to other people. Once you test positive, even if fully vaccinated and boosted, you can still infect others.
Uhhhh, yes, we all know this. That wasn't the point he was making.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:00 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Uhhhh, yes, we all know this. That wasn't the point he was making.
What was his point then? That positive patients should be able to go back to work or school regardless of symptoms or when they tested positive?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:18 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
What was his point then? That positive patients should be able to go back to work or school regardless of symptoms or when they tested positive?
You can phrase it like that, or you can have the approach to step back, take a look at the big picture, and realize:

Efforts to stop COVID from spreading just aren't working. The harm imposed by such efforts are actually doing more damage than good.

In Vitro, it may theoretically work.

In Vivo--real life society with real humans--it's just. Not. Working.

We are living In Vivo.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:22 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You can phrase it like that, or you can have the approach to step back, take a look at the big picture, and realize:

Efforts to stop COVID from spreading just aren't working. The harm imposed by such efforts are actually doing more damage than good.

In Vitro, it may theoretically work.

In Vivo--real life society with real humans--it's just. Not. Working.

We are living In Vivo.
They are working you just don't like them.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That’s inevitable.

Everyone is going to get this virus. If your overall health situation is such that it will kill you even when vaccinated, then that’s going to happen. Trying to avoid catching it forever is hopeless and the attempt causes too much collateral damage.

You'd have a different tune if it was a loved one

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Thats going to happen either way.
You can try to limit it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:50 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
You can try to limit it.
As with TUP and 10023, they just don't like the restrictions.
That's all it really is.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 9:05 PM
The City

Quote:
You'd have a different tune if it was a loved one
Not really.

My kids possibly had COVID about 2 months ago. Since I actually have something called perspective I wasn't worried about it being COVID for their well being.

I was worried about it being COVID because of all the SHIT my family would have to go through (the stupid 10 day quarantine, which means my kids don't go to school, now my wife and I have to take off of work, etc).

If you're vaccinated and scared of Covid, then you are basically adhering to a new religion, as far as I'm concerned. It's your new church

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions