HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
That is pretty ridiculous! Not too mention that introducing a fee may deter people from going to Signal Hill and potentially reduce tourism to the site. As well, what about everyone who hikes the trail (e.g. SignalHillHiker)? It gives the impression that government is charging you for wanting to get out, exercise and get some fresh air. It makes sense to pay at a national park since your using services there and it costs a lot more to maintain a park. Outside of a paying a couple of Parks Canada employees to provide maintenance, what's the big expense?
I can't see this happening. The backlash will be too great. I can't see how anyone in this city will be in support of it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:30 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I have no time for fees for Signal Hill. Not a chance. Don't even try it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:34 PM

what are they going to do put toll boths at the trails from Quidi Vidi and up from the battery? hahah it's crazy!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I can't see this happening. The backlash will be too great. I can't see how anyone in this city will be in support of it.
IF their other sites in Canada charge a fee, then why should we be any different?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
IF their other sites in Canada charge a fee, then why should we be any different?
The rest of Canada can do what it wants - we can be different.

But, to play devil's advocate:

1. Canada is simply the site's caretaker, and is only indirectly related to many of the incredibly significant historical events that took place there. They didn't pay to develop it, they shouldn't charge us to access what we created. And if they can't be bothered to keep it in good condition with general tax revenues, then ****ing hand it over.

2. It's an integral part of the city, served by public roads, covered with public trails (including significant portions of the city's Grand Concourse). It's a part of daily life in St. John's that we let be a National Historic Site because it is so significant - not the other way around.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
I know what you are saying, but this is still not going to make it justifiable for most people to access Signall Hill. I can agree with a fee to go in Cabot Tower, but just to drive up the hill and use the trails or have a look out over the city. I don't think so.

Is the same going to be implemented for Cape Spear then?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I know what you are saying, but this is still not going to make it justifiable for most people to access Signall Hill. I can agree with a fee to go in Cabot Tower, but just to drive up the hill and use the trails or have a look out over the city. I don't think so.

Is the same going to be implemented for Cape Spear then?
From their website the fees are being proposed for ALL their sites.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:42 PM

Quote:
From their website the fees are being proposed for ALL their sites.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=30129

$9.80 for a season pass to Signal Hill or Cape Spear.

How will this be enforced though? To me, it seems that Parks Canada are just going to incur another cost for themselves in having to enforce this. Will you need a pass just to access the trails?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=30129

$9.80 for a season pass to Signal Hill or Cape Spear.

How will this be enforced though? To me, it seems that Parks Canada are just going to incur another cost for themselves in having to enforce this. Will you need a pass just to access the trails?
This is crazy :S, it's not like a camp site lol or a big fort or something... it's an outcrop with tonnes of history and trails and views ..

it's like putting a charge to enter Bowring park or Bannerman Park

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
This is crazy :S, it's not like a camp site lol or a big fort or something... it's an outcrop with tonnes of history and trails and views ..

it's like putting a charge to enter Bowring park or Bannerman Park

It's no different for the rest of Canada. Sorry guys but we are not any different than the rest.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:25 PM

I think you're alone in this one Chris lol

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I think you're alone in this one Chris lol

Oh I know.....not surprising..........

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's bad when you know your own thought process is best expressed with Insanity Wolf, but I need some advice...

I haven't, yet, but...

My dress shoes are beat to pieces, my sneakers are always wet inside... I hate winter boots because they're just so... winter boots.

At least with rubbers (which I've been seeing A LOT in St. John's) there is no expectation of style and they're basically excluded from any analysis of your outfit... right? They're purely functional (at least for men - all the women have those cute little colourful ones).

So, is it better to wear rubbers and be written off from the knees down... or wear hideous winter boots...?

What should I do!?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:59 PM

Wow... I honestly can't see it happening. Public outcry would be too great.... I can't even begin to describe how angry that makes me.

If there is a fee, tourist visits to Signal Hill will likely be much less frequent. Many people use the hill for recreation to go for a jog, run, or walk. Make people pay to go for a nice walk?? That's sending a good healthy message. What about people who just like to drive up there every once and a while and look at the view or take pictures? I suppose you're going to charge them soon?

If Parks Canada insists on these fees, I think we're going to have to take back Signal Hill

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Wow... I honestly can't see it happening. Public outcry would be too great.... I can't even begin to describe how angry that makes me.

If there is a fee, tourist visits to Signal Hill will likely be much less frequent. Many people use the hill for recreation to go for a jog, run, or walk. Make people pay to go for a nice walk?? That's sending a good healthy message. What about people who just like to drive up there every once and a while and look at the view or take pictures? I suppose you're going to charge them soon?

If Parks Canada insists on these fees, I think we're going to have to take back Signal Hill
And have city council run it? Or even worse the PROV GOV't....... there'd be fee's tapped on so quickly you head would spin.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:29 PM

interesting lol

DND Explains Erroneous Message

Quote:
Search and Rescue officials in Halifax are responding to the controversy surrounding a message at the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Halifax this morning concerning the status of the search for a missing duck hunter off the Port au Port Peninsula. The message indicated that a search was underway off Port au Prince, which of course is in Haiti, and not Newfoundland. Major Martell Thompson of the Joint Task Force Atlantic, which is responsible for the JRCC, tells VOCM News it was a slip of the tongue, and as soon as the error was noticed, it was corrected. Major Thompson says they are well aware of the sensitivity of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians to such matters...
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30329&latest=1

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:12 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Just catching up on the fees for Signal Hill thing. Kinda comical. How on earth would they ever enforce something like that? There are so many ways to get there, and it's not exactly fair to just charge people that drive up. That would be like charging people for being lazy or with limited mobility.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

There is no way they would charge to go to Signal Hill, as noted above, there would be public outcry, access to the hill is something all Nflders take for granted as a God given right. That would also be devastating for tourism. So, also as noted above, it must be only for the interpretation centre, and I imagine the same for Cape Spear. However, I can see how they might be able to charge for parking.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It's bad when you know your own thought process is best expressed with Insanity Wolf, but I need some advice...

I haven't, yet, but...

My dress shoes are beat to pieces, my sneakers are always wet inside... I hate winter boots because they're just so... winter boots.

At least with rubbers (which I've been seeing A LOT in St. John's) there is no expectation of style and they're basically excluded from any analysis of your outfit... right? They're purely functional (at least for men - all the women have those cute little colourful ones).

So, is it better to wear rubbers and be written off from the knees down... or wear hideous winter boots...?

What should I do!?
Go with the rubbers, and have no shame!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:40 AM

Did anyone attend that NIMBY meeting or whatever it was called yesterday?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ers-01-30.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's