HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:52 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
The 23rd & Walnut Rite Aid proposal is a massive disappointment.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220812.html
Yea, that is bad, another boring cheap box.
12 stories is also underwhelming, but I'm more concerned with another ugly building on a prime Center City plot.

Also, regarding the nice proposal at 2204 Walnut... Was there a meeting today, but the review got pushed to next month? If that is correct, why?

A block to the east of the former Rite Aid, a 10-story, 29-unit condominium building is proposed on 2204 Walnut St., although it needs the permission of the Historical Commission to move forward. At Friday’s meeting of the commission, the case was pushed to next month for consideration.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:

This is the first rendering I've seen. This looks like Kowloon Walled City.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:00 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
This is insane, the developer should have its head checked. 2 blocks away from the river and 5 blocks to Rittenhouse Square. I hate to use the cliche but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the proposal should be burned.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:04 PM

Yeah, wow; did they get the property for a steal or something? Seems like a waste.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:33 PM

I don't doubt that that building would make a lot of money, but its definitely uninspired for such a prominent corner. A an attractive building will fetch premium rents here, and no balconies?? They're leaving a lot of value on the table IMO.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Location...Location...Location...Just think of all the college kids domestic and international with rich/wealthy parents that would rent an apartment for their kids. Hell, if they offered condos for sale and it's within my budget, I might be a serous buyer.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:

I’d rather keep the rite. That’s design is trash bag juice.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:13 PM

Holy shit that’s awful. I was told this would be around 400 feet tall. Unless that was an old plan that’s been scrapped or the person was confused and that will be Dranoff’s project on the Sunoco lot.

Either way, this is awful. Terrible design. Squat, terrible height. A building in this location should be at least 30 floors and have a nice design. We don’t want your Dallas design here Trammell Crow.

Cut the tower’s bulk in half and stack it on top of the remainder of the tower and you’ll get to 24-floors. Lop off the stupid wing that juts out on the west side too and stack that on top and you’ll probably be around 26-floors. Move the tower back a little to be centered on a podium like the apartment building at 12th & Market, put some amenities on that podium and some on the roof. Design a MUCH better facade or just sheath it in glass. Boom. It’s that easy. It’s not that hard. Go back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Holy shit that’s awful. I was told this would be around 400 feet tall. Unless that was an old plan that’s been scrapped or the person was confused and that will be Dranoff’s project on the Sunoco lot.

Either way, this is awful. Terrible design. Squat, terrible height. A building in this location should be at least 30 floors and have a nice design. We don’t want your Dallas design here Trammell Crow.

Cut the tower’s bulk in half and stack it on top of the remainder of the tower and you’ll get to 24-floors. Lop off the stupid wing that juts out on the west side too and stack that on top and you’ll probably be around 26-floors. Move the tower back a little to be centered on a podium like the apartment building at 12th & Market, put some amenities on that podium and some on the roof. Design a MUCH better facade or just sheath it in glass. Boom. It’s that easy. It’s not that hard. Go back to the drawing board.
This is honestly the most frustrating thing loving this city from a development perspective. It’s insane. 8/10 times the renderings released look like dog shit, what gets built is often, although not always, a real disappointment, and what it replaced from years ago was solid stone or ornate masonry that was demolished for a parking lot or parking garage. It’s absolutely maddening. I’m so fucking tired of it. I’m sorry but it just gets me angry that developers propose and build this garbage here and then put 3x the design effort into their projects in Boston, DC, or Chicago when at this point you can charge rents that are hardly worlds apart anymore. One Cathedral Squate charges for a 1 bed basically what you’d pay in River North. I’m sick of the cheap bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
This is honestly the most frustrating thing loving this city from a development perspective. It’s insane. 8/10 times the renderings released look like dog shit, what gets built is often, although not always, a real disappointment, and what it replaced from years ago was solid stone or ornate masonry that was demolished for a parking lot or parking garage. It’s absolutely maddening. I’m so fucking tired of it. I’m sorry but it just gets me angry that developers propose and build this garbage here and then put 3x the design effort into their projects in Boston, DC, or Chicago when at this point you can charge rents that are hardly worlds apart anymore. One Cathedral Squate charges for a 1 bed basically what you’d pay in River North. I’m sick of the cheap bullshit.
And then, when something truly fantastic gets proposed, the historical commission tries to kill it ala the current Walnust st property across from Sonoco. It’s genuinely going to make me go insane.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:13 PM

I mean... I guess I can trade a 400'er here for one on S 21st... but this design still is dogshit. So disappointed, especially when they had implied that it would be a tower.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
This is insane, the developer should have its head checked. 2 blocks away from the river and 5 blocks to Rittenhouse Square. I hate to use the cliche but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the proposal should be burned.
I agree with every response on here today: this proposal is just awful. This location is gold, and the plan for it should be so much better. To be honest, I wouldn’t like this proposal for anywhere.

I can live with the Standard at its location. I just can’t handle this one.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I mean... I guess I can trade a 400'er here for one on S 21st... but this design still is dogshit. So disappointed, especially when they had implied that it would be a tower.
Who is they?

The architect for this piece of vomit is local (and has done several boring towers). It's sad that someone local would be willing to put their name on this trash. The architect doesn't control the height, but they could at least try to take a little bit of care and pride. This is cash for trash designing at its worst.
Keep the drug store, at least as long as it's standing there's hope for a half way decent building to go up here. Hell, I think I'd rather have a plot of 4 story townhouses then this crap on a stick.

Can anyone think of a worse proposal in the last 20 years?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:14 AM

I’m not sure if that’s the right proposal , I saw a similar proposal on the architect website at Lincoln Square

Last edited by Skang; Aug 13, 2022 at 6:37 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 1:26 PM

Quote:

I look forward to storing my unused furniture at this convenient new self-storage location.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:12 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Really disappointed to see the design here for the Rite Aid on Walnut.. Is there any chance they'll have edit the design?

Probably should be taller tbh

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:15 PM

This is hands down the worst proposal I've seen since I joined the forum in 2011.

I typically do not say this... but I'd prefer to keep what's there over this abomination.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:25 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
Value engineering at its finest...looks at those cheap panels (first clue)...it's criminal if this get built to those renders.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 6:11 PM

Guys just relax , I think they might come up with something better

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This is hands down the worst proposal I've seen since I joined the forum in 2011.

I typically do not say this... but I'd prefer to keep what's there over this abomination.
In this case, being able to buy an aspirin has greater public benefit than what looks like trans-Schuylkill student housing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations