HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Were you shocked by any of the cities on the list or the order in which they appeared
Yes 9 39.13%
No 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:09 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Putting aside bias, there are probably two issues here.

First, everyone has a different definition of highrise/skyscraper. Yeah, there are business rules for different sources, but it's an issue. And even if we accept rules, how do we weight the entries? If the cutoff is say 10 floors, certainly we'd agree that a 10 floor building isn't weighted the same as a 100 floor building, right?

Second, it appears that much of the Atlanta construction activity isn't in the core, so may be less obvious to visitors, skyline watchers and the like. Downtown, at least, I'm pretty confident that as of August 2022, there's no forest of cranes, or wildly unusual construction activity. It may be that there's heavy construction activity in Buckhead, Perimeter and the like.
Well, I'll just end my input by saying, yes, Midtown Atlanta, which you didn't mention above, is indeed a "forest of cranes". I'm confident of which would rival any other similar geographical area in the country.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Big towers make the biggest noise on sites like SSP.

It looks like Atlanta has been building a good amount of 20 and 30 story stuff lately, much to the excitement of the locals.

But it's been awhile since anything over 200m has been built in Atlanta, so outsider scraper-nerds aren't really paying as much attention to it as they are to an upstart city like Austin which now has a handful of 200m+ towers under construction, including a 300m+ one!
This is an accurate account. Midtown planning, for various reasons, has been limiting developments to around 25 to 35 floors, although there is now a 61 story development in the works for midtown. A recently planned 70 story residence bit the pandemic dust (OPUS2). Nonetheless, construction activity in general is very pronounced across the metro area as the metro continues to gain population at a fairly high rate (seemingly not as high as the Texas cities, but outstripping the NE and Midwest cities). As we all know, population increase alone is not a reliable indicator of construction activity but just a component of the complexity of building activity as cities that are not gaining much population, and even those with stable or decreasing populations may still have high building activity.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Big towers make the biggest noise on sites like SSP.

It looks like Atlanta has been building a good amount of 20 and 30 story stuff lately, much to the excitement of the locals.

But it's been awhile since anything over 200m has been built in Atlanta, so outsider scraper-nerds aren't really paying as much attention to it as they are to an upstart city like Austin which now has a handful of 200m+ towers under construction, including a 300m+ one!

austin is just absolutely nuts - they are punching way above their weight. who knows, it might kick off a new skyscraper/supertall race in the other two TX cities. they won't be able to let the new kid on the block take that crown for long.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:23 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
Bellevue is seriously punching above its weight, 2 600 FT towers U/C and multiple 600 FT tower groundbreakings soon is an achievement many American cities can't claim, especially for Bellevue's size.
Agreed that it's punching above its weight.

It's doing so as the #2 downtown in a city of four million. Municipal population has nothing to do with it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:32 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Agreed that it's punching above its weight.

It's doing so as the #2 downtown in a city of four million. Municipal population has nothing to do with it.
Bellevue is nuts. I was just there, twice, over the last three months. That might be a good compare for Midtown Atlanta. But more development in progress in Midtown Atlanta than Bellevue, at least as far as I could tell. Downtown Austin might also be a good compare for Midtown Atlanta. Yes Austin is going crazy, as is Midtown Atlanta.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 9:39 PM
Never Dell

Downtown Bellevue feels more like a compact Buckhead.

Midtown Atlanta is more urban. I agree it's growing fast.

DT Bellevue's plans are pretty impressive. Today's projects are pretty tame. Next up are a 3x600' (this winter?), another 3x600', a 7x400', and a 14x70-240 or thereabouts. Heights tend to be flat because most projects go to the allowed limit.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:37 AM

There are at least 75 highrises (12+) in construction in the Montreal area, probably more since the database is surely not up to date.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:41 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Hmm emporis only lists 27 under construction in Montreal , 25 in Seattle and Bellevue , 19 in Austin , and 37 in Atlanta

I count 90 on emporis in Miami and Fort Lauderdale , missing some coastal jurisdictions I’m sure

80 under construction in Houston, but only 11 in Dallas , makes sense given Dallas is the capital of the Texas donut

Thus judging by emporis Houston and Miami easily top Atlanta (and Montreal) . Austin wins in the height per capita population ratio with a super tall in construction and another planned

Last edited by dc_denizen; Aug 9, 2022 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:52 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
austin is just absolutely nuts - they are punching way above their weight. who knows, it might kick off a new skyscraper/supertall race in the other two TX cities. they won't be able to let the new kid on the block take that crown for long.
exactly, atlanta may be building a lot, but is more broadly spread out, where austin downtown is quite dramatic, particularly because it was just parking lots and nothing warehouses not very long ago.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Hmm emporis only lists 27 under construction in Montreal , 25 in Seattle and Bellevue , 19 in Austin , and 37 in Atlanta

I count 90 on emporis in Miami and Fort Lauderdale , missing some coastal jurisdictions I’m sure

80 under construction in Houston, but only 11 in Dallas , makes sense given Dallas is the capital of the Texas donut

Thus judging by emporis Houston and Miami easily top Atlanta (and Montreal) . Austin wins in the height per capita population ratio with a super tall in construction and another planned
Montreal has a minimum of 44 highrises under construction as listed here

https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=98173734

but this list doesn't appear complete with dozens more unlisted.

Still seems that Montreal is solid 3# in North America.
the 90 you listed for Miami and Fort Lauderdale is for 2 cities so can't say they are number 3

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:54 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

I wouldn’t consider Fort Lauderdale a separate urban area , it’s all part of the contiguous Miami urban area . The downtowns are 30 miles apart. The other terminus is at palm beach and boca raton

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I wouldn’t consider Fort Lauderdale a separate urban area , it’s all part of the contiguous Miami urban area . The downtowns are 30 miles apart. The other terminus is at palm beach and boca raton
yeah but we are comparing cities on their own as that was what the video was about

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 11:26 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Well Miami the city is only 350,000 people , while dade is 2.7 million and south Florida around what , 9 million ? I don’t think city limits comparisons make much sense here

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:19 PM

Not skyscrapers, but there are over 1,000 highrises under construction in São Paulo right now.

São Paulo has 12 million inh. as opposed to 8.8 million of New York. I'd expect and it would be better if New York were building much more than those 190.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Nope...it's your multi-year history of posting anti-Atlanta animus.
lol what a lie.

All I did was point out a bullshit list. And once again, you're not that important, I don't care or think about Atlanta enough to have an animus about it. In fact I've said plenty of positive things about Atlanta in my "multi-year history of posting". You're just insecure.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Not skyscrapers, but there are over 1,000 highrises under construction in São Paulo right now.

São Paulo has 12 million inh. as opposed to 8.8 million of New York. I'd expect and it would be better if New York were building much more than those 190.
I doubt any city in North America has more multi-family housing construction in progress now than NYC.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I doubt any city in North America has more multi-family housing construction in progress now than NYC.
I wouldn't really question it, Sao Paulo is a sea of highrises. Anyways Sao Paulo is in South America, so yes, NYC is building the most in north america.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Paulo

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
I wouldn't really question it, sao paulo is a sea of highrises. Anyways Sao Paulo is in South America. So yes, NYC is building the most in north america.
Yes, I know lol. Besides being located in South America, São Paulo also has almost 2x the land area of NYC.

NYC is building a LOT right now. I don't track the construction numbers that closely, but the entire city is a goddamn construction zone. Any piece of empty land that can legally be built on is being built on now. I would love to see a reliable analysis showing the true construction numbers.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
São Paulo and New York (city propers) growth rates are very similar, so they should be releasing relatively the same number of units to keep prices reasonable.

P.S. Guys, I know SP is in South America, but after 4 pages discussing every city in North America I just threw the number for comparison.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:48 PM

Why are we talking about any Canadian cities in this thread? It's a little aggravating that someone can't post a States-focused discussion without it being bombed by Canucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions