HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:05 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It is needed, unfortunately, as it's the main truck loading artery for the Coliseum. Most of the loading operations are on that side, and would require reconfiguring that to the south side. Plus they built entrances to the underground parking garage on that side as well.

I legit lol'd at your "Pottery Barned it up!" comment. Totally nailed that.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:20 AM
你的媽媽

Good news. Newsom has officially signed #AB2097, eliminating parking requirements for new housing projects within a half mile of public transit stops *statewide*!

This is what actual leadership on housing affordability and climate policy looks like!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:22 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh wow, that's big. Interesting to see how the enforcement of this will play out, or if developers will simply jump on it.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
It’s a beautiful Italian space and they Pottery Barned it up. I’m guessing the furniture just didn’t come with the sale.
Before....

It now does look cheaper....but maybe the new owner didn't want to make guests on more of a pottery barn budget nervous about booking rooms at the hotel? Today's world is so shaky, however, I'm relieved that someone took over the former nomad. I was worried that the renovated giannini Place bldg was going to become a smaller version of the oceanwide proj on fig.

As for the NE corner of 2nd & Olive St? This is why I've long wanted to see the parking lot east of the grand la proj finally filled in. The supply & cost issues of the new museum in expo pk now worry me that the concert hall for the Colburn school is going to run into similar problems.

https://youtu.be/fJ9qebwfO_M?t=417

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Good news. Newsom has officially signed #AB2097, eliminating parking requirements for new housing projects within a half mile of public transit stops *statewide*!

This is what actual leadership on housing affordability and climate policy looks like!
It actually even *bigger* than that. It eliminates parking requirements for housing, commercial, and retail projects including adaptive reuse!!

I think this is one of the more important things that has been signed for our urban areas in California in a decade.

This can make small mom and pop restaurants, bars, stores, etc possible in cool places that logicially make sense, but didn't have any way previously to provide the draconian amount of parking that would have been necessary before.

Great leadership here from all involved.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ It is needed, unfortunately, as it's the main truck loading artery for the Coliseum. Most of the loading operations are on that side, and would require reconfiguring that to the south side. Plus they built entrances to the underground parking garage on that side as well.

It would be nice if they could make that road more of a patterned park walkway (with collapsible pillars to allow for vehicular traffic), as opposed to a straight up blacktop street.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:15 PM

The street separating the new museum from the natural history museum & the coliseum, Bill Robertson lane, hopefully will be 'modernized', whatever that means....

https://youtu.be/WbJ0QJOeB_4?t=80

Expo pk has long needed an upgrade....I just watched a vid of a famous city in Europe, one with a tower built in the 1800s, & I sometimes feel that the ppl running LA just fell off the turnip truck.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
I’m happy they kept the beautiful space more or less the same. Though the changes they did make are a downgrade. The sofa and seat covers are atrocious. Who does seat covers anymore? It’s a beautiful Italian space and they Pottery Barned it up. I’m guessing the furniture just didn’t come with the sale.
The restaurant and bar look great in person. As far as the seat covers, most of that old school steak house look, most of your high end restaurants are renovating out of that look to attract a younger customer. They have been a plethora of articles which states that that customer is dying out. If you’re ever in Beverly Hills….Spago, Tatel, etc. all have the same look.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
It would be nice if they could make that road more of a patterned park walkway (with collapsible pillars to allow for vehicular traffic), as opposed to a straight up blacktop street.
That's exactly what it's going to become based on the renderings here: https://la.urbanize.city/post/exposi...s-move-forward

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post

Yeah, I can see that now with access to the parking structures. One thought might be to cut out the part between Exposition Park dr. and the Natural History museum parking garage for public space, and have the Lucas park extended into the South lawn in front of NHM. Trucks could still access the Coliseum and circle around Exposition Park dr. and visitors can still access the NHM parking.

If it’s true the masterplan is turning Robertson into a pedestrian walkway (with car access) that might be a tolerable compromise if that is was “pervious surfacing” means in the link in dax gray’s post.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:43 AM

Quote:

Parking is/was a big thing hindering many of the historic Broadway theater palaces from reopening. Can’t wait to see all the new designs come out. Now all we need is for LA to update the tower core requirements to allow more narrow buildings and we are good to go for quite a bit more affordability in LA

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Parking is/was a big thing hindering many of the historic Broadway theater palaces from reopening. Can’t wait to see all the new designs come out. Now all we need is for LA to update the tower core requirements to allow more narrow buildings and we are good to go for quite a bit more affordability in LA
There’s a bunch of small parking lots in the Historic Core that would allow for narrow buildings.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:34 PM

The bill does allow cities to require parking if they present written evidence that the absence of parking would have negative impacts. That could end up being a very low bar depending on interpretation. Given LA's opposition to the bill, I expect that if allowed that LA will routinely oppose residential projects without parking that don't include affordable housing.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:24 PM

The car was the best and worst thing to happen to LA simultaneously. Now in a world of rising co2 and the grid unable to handle anything close to 100% electric cars, localized public transit is going to have to make a big surge. Cars will remain a suburban feature naturally, but city living will need to be heavily shifted to public transit if the climate goals are to be met. I'm thinking elevated/flying rail, even more futuristic, air taxis, and perhaps some kind of hyperloop tube, low friction travel (still far off but not impossible). Seeing how LA is the helipad capital of the world, I see the evtol thing being big here by 2030, and incorporation of landing pads sticking out of high-rises like oversized balconies, which could incentivize more high-rise/skyscraper construction. Just a splash of futurism hurt nobody.

Last edited by Niftybox; Sep 24, 2022 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 11:48 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Seeing how LA is the helipad capital of the world, I see the evtol thing being big here by 2030, and incorporation of landing pads sticking out of high-rises like oversized balconies, which could incentivize more high-rise/skyscraper construction.
A small quibble, but Sao Paolo is the helipad capital of the world, by far.

Anyway, I'm psyched about the new state law. I don't think we will see LA try to impose parking minimums for downtown projects and renovations, at least.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:

Bunk the haters, Newsom has really been on it !

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
A small quibble, but Sao Paolo is the helipad capital of the world, by far.

Anyway, I'm psyched about the new state law. I don't think we will see LA try to impose parking minimums for downtown projects and renovations, at least.
My ignorance knows no bounds, thanks for the factoid.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:48 PM

This is the first time I've seen a walkaround of the public deck of the intercontinental hotel....although in russian. I believe the guy says something about a few of the gh palmer apt bldgs, so maybe they're airbnbing in one of dt's faux tuscan apt bldgs? The vid starts with a shot of the mitsui apt tower on fig & ends with where more guests are on the southern side. The northern deck was so quiet when he was filming, I wondered what day he was visiting.

Video Link

this is from over 30 yrs ago, maybe the one time the dtla skyline was featured in the opening of a TV show. I think of certain ppl in 2022 saying that dt is small or they almost happily say they never go there. But think of how much more modest it was in the 1980s, etc. Today's dt comes closer to punching at LA's weight class....but various cities throughout the US & world in the past 40 yrs have also gradually gotten better too. So standards are higher now than before....everyone is in it to win it.

https://youtu.be/FRvPnV0fCyw

EDIT: ^ the real bldg in that TV fiction a few decades later regrettably was just in the news....

Quote:

therealdeal.com

Oaktree Capital initiated a foreclosure on a 48-story tower in Downtown L.A., a possible sign of distress for the city’s central office market.

“We are both surprised and disappointed that Oaktree moved forward with what we believe are unnecessary and aggressive actions,” said John Sischo, co-founder of Coretrust, in a statement. “Our intent before was, and going forward is, to come to a satisfactory solution much sooner than later. We intend to act in good faith, and expect Oaktree to do likewise.”

The foreclosure auction could be the first major distress event in recent years in Downtown L.A.’s office market, which has struggled because of remote work. In the second quarter, Downtown L.A.’s vacancy rate was close to 30 percent, according to a report from Savills.

The skyscraper, among the tallest in L.A., has appeared in multiple television shows and movies, including in the opening credits of the 1980’s NBC drama “L.A. Law.”

I like seeing what's going on in the dts of other cities. Again, everyone is in it to win it. dtla competes with areas along the coast, such as long bch or samo. San diego has fewer options, so more activity can spring up in its dt....I recall when dtsd was fairly rundown & didn't have much street life either. So dtsd in 2022 is hitting closer to san diego's weight class too. It's one of the various cities throughout the US & world that are better today than they were about 30 or 40 yrs ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPZuAJ01ikE

Last edited by citywatch; Sep 26, 2022 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:49 PM

Haven't seen it called anywhere, but I think Mitsui Fudosan has topped out! If so, pretty solid height in the end! Really happy with how its turning out and can't wait to see how that block feels once both the Brookfield and this tower are completed and filled with thousand+ new residents.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:

ladowntownnews.com

DTLA’s hospitality occupancy level increased to 69%, a 60% increase over Q2 in 2021, representing the sixth consecutive quarter of occupancy growth. Perhaps more impressively, DTLA’s RevPAR, which measures total revenue per available room, rose more than 135% from this time last year, recovering nearly 90% of its pandemic-driven drop. This remarkable growth follows that of the DTLA residential market, where occupancy and lease rates have already surpassed pre-COVID-19 highs.

^ with the opening of the beadry & mitsui apt towers early next yr...along with GH palmer's large apt proj west of the 110 fwy & DWP bldg....it's important that dt be in good, post covid shape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations