HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:35 PM

December CDR Submissions are up!

Link:
https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...lic-meetings/#

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:14 AM

4040 Walnut is decent infill
3801 Chestnut looks great
1031 Germantown rowhouses will strongly depend on the material quality
6174 Ridge is definitely interesting with the art on one facade. Hope it will be a nice mural
217-53 9th is terrible all around.
1700 N Randolph is in between. The fortress is broken up enough to not be bad but it is prone to a cheap plastic facade

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:42 PM

I was driving through North Philly last night, when I noticed something interesting: the public housing complex at 11th and York, directly across from Fotterall Square, is completely shuttered. While I've known that several of the two-story units along 10th Street have been condemned over the years, I realized that the towers were closed off and completely dark last night.

The redevelopment of this site could have major implications for Lower North Philly. As we're all aware, almost everything east of Germantown Avenue and below Lehigh is prime for development. Some of it has trickled west of Germantown Avenue into Harntraft, but not to the extent we're seeing in Norris Square. Demolishing that mistake from the 1960s, breaking up the superblock, and replacing it with dense housing will do wonders for a neighborhood at the precipice of a renaissance.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:53 PM
Chris

Crane Watch: More than 2,700 new residential units in the works across Greater Philadelphia

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...new-units.html

Since our last update in October, progress has been made on several new residential developments that would collectively bring 2,760 new units to the city and surrounding area.

Two of those are luxury apartment buildings. Horsham-based Toll Brothers (NYSE: TOL) recently topped off an 18-story building at 435 N. Broad Street. It is expected to bring 344 luxury apartments to the market when it is completed in summer 2023.

Parkway Corp. is planning a towering luxury apartment building of its own in Center City. Plans call for a 31-story structure with 304 apartments and 15,600 square feet of first-floor retail space a few blocks from Rittenhouse Square at 21st and Ludlow streets.

Residential buildings continue to radiate out from Northern Liberties and Fishtown, as well. The Keystone, a multifamily project from Pittsburgh-based Linden Street Investment, will add 220 units on Callowhill Street. Just blocks away, Rodin Development's 373-unit development called the Carson was recently topped off at 570 N. 5th St.

Also in the works is Phase 2 of Riverwards Avenue V in Olde Kensington, which will total 200 new apartments, a 55-unit building planned on Front Street in Fishtown, and a seven-story apartment project in Northern Liberties.

Outside of the city, an expansive mixed-use development is being proposed in King of Prussia from Piazza Management. It will include two 171-unit apartment buildings and a 147,000-square-foot addition to the office building at 1100 First Ave.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I was driving through North Philly last night, when I noticed something interesting: the public housing complex at 11th and York, directly across from Fotterall Square, is completely shuttered. While I've known that several of the two-story units along 10th Street have been condemned over the years, I realized that the towers were closed off and completely dark last night.

The redevelopment of this site could have major implications for Lower North Philly. As we're all aware, almost everything east of Germantown Avenue and below Lehigh is prime for development. Some of it has trickled west of Germantown Avenue into Harntraft, but not to the extent we're seeing in Norris Square. Demolishing that mistake from the 1960s, breaking up the superblock, and replacing it with dense housing will do wonders for a neighborhood at the precipice of a renaissance.
this was announced a while ago as part of a redevelopment plan that I believe was funded by a HUD grant. They are also making significant improvements to the pubic area in front of the towers- its under construction right now.

no updates on this in a long time:

https://whyy.org/articles/philadelph...viving-towers/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:13 PM

First look: Inside Drexel's new 12-story, 460,000-square-foot health sciences building at uCity Square

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
First look: Inside Drexel's new 12-story, 460,000-square-foot health sciences building at uCity Square

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s
grumble grumble
POWER LINES
grumble grumble

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 3:06 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 3:14 PM

^cool photos TK. Love the helicopter one and the cranes around the FMC/Schuylkill.

In other news, the NIMBYing going on around the Fashion District getting rebuilt into the Sixers arena is one of the most absurd things I have witnessed in a while

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
^cool photos TK. Love the helicopter one and the cranes around the FMC/Schuylkill.

In other news, the NIMBYing going on around the Fashion District getting rebuilt into the Sixers arena is one of the most absurd things I have witnessed in a while
Makes no sense. Part of me thinks the developers made a mistake by acting in good faith and engaging activists. Could City Council torpedo this?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Makes no sense. Part of me thinks the developers made a mistake by acting in good faith and engaging activists. Could City Council torpedo this?
It's such a no-brainer for a struggling area of the city. But all these NIMBYs will cry when they move to Camden and the Fashion District closes in 5 years. Philadelphians have a very backwards attitude to improvement.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 5:59 PM

It's one thing to ask for consideration, to ask for specific plans to mitigate traffic, trash, etc. I was watching NBC 10 last night, and this guy from some organization was basically like "we 100% will stay opposed to it no matter what" and got some other guy so riled up about the "death" of chinatown he started to cry. It was some wild optics.

CM Squilla deserves criticism for the parking garage language in the proposed bill he said he "didn't know about". Being transparent is important, and that isn't it. I don't think Squilla has been a very good CM personally.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:34 PM
PHL

I wish they would build the stadium in the enormous Disney hole. it satisfies a lot of the issues people have with the Fashion District spot, while still adding all that value and investment to the area. It's padded from Chinatown too, has a large subway station right there at 8th and Market. It would probably help bring more foot traffic to the Fashion District too. I think there's a chance to fit it in at 8th and Market without demoing the Jefferson building (which is obviously not an option).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I wish they would build the stadium in the enormous Disney hole. it satisfies a lot of the issues people have with the Fashion District spot, while still adding all that value and investment to the area. It's padded from Chinatown too, has a large subway station right there at 8th and Market. It would probably help bring more foot traffic to the Fashion District too. I think there's a chance to fit it in at 8th and Market without demoing the Jefferson building (which is obviously not an option).
If I remember correctly, the lot is in fact too small

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:44 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
If I remember correctly, the lot is in fact too small
Dang. well I would support making that portion of 8th a tunnel like the convention center does over 12th and 13th then. Build up a bit and add the width of the street and it might be big enough.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Yes but Macerich (fashion district owners) want the 76ers stadium because they know the fashion district is a sinking ship. They also probably know that not just anyone can go and build on top of Jefferson Station which is obviously so much more involved than building at 8th and Market.

They want it to happen so they can downsize the retail space of Fashion District while adding hundreds of thousands of new customers per year to the other half of their mall. As long as Macerich wants this to happen, it will happen. It's their land. Nixing Filbert Street from the grid is the only thing that could hold it back.

The 76ers arena is listed on their website: https://investing.macerich.com/news-...elman-lead-new

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 7:33 PM

Why the opposition to the stadium? Wouldn't logic dictate that Reading Terminal and Chinatown would be flooded with patrons on game/event days? If Sixers are showing up with money and ready to sign agreements promising to be good neighbors - where is the problem? If I owned a restaurant and someone wanted to build an arena a block away, I'd be so freaking excited. What am I missing?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 7:36 PM

It's going to happen and rightly so.

The Chinese Community in Philadelphia isn't a quaint monolith anymore with 1 center of locus and a small number of individuals. It's one of Philadelphia's fastest growing subgroups and it's members increasingly live in places that are NOT Chinatown (South Philly, Mayfair, Rhawnhurst, etc).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:25 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Why the opposition to the stadium? Wouldn't logic dictate that Reading Terminal and Chinatown would be flooded with patrons on game/event days? If Sixers are showing up with money and ready to sign agreements promising to be good neighbors - where is the problem? If I owned a restaurant and someone wanted to build an arena a block away, I'd be so freaking excited. What am I missing?
I don't know the latest specific complaint, but it's mostly virtue signaling nonsense combined with typical overdone resistance to change.

This stretch of Market is shabby at best and it is beyond me why some people are fiercely against this project... My suggestion is that the Sixers owners (and other entities) should also develop a comprehensive development plan for the stretch of Market from 8th-12th.

Separately, the same people that complained about the Gallery revamp (fearing it would turn into KoP) are now against the Sixers arena... Sometimes people just need to shut up...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:27 PM
Chris

I'd rather see the building knocked down, but an apartment conversion is a big deal for West Market Street.

Alterra Property Group nears deal to acquire 1701 Market St., soon to be vacated by Morgan Lewis

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...01-market.html

Alterra Property Group is nearing a deal to acquire 1701 Market St. with plans to convert the longtime Morgan Lewis & Bockius headquarters building into apartments, according to industry sources.

The 305,170-square-foot property in the heart of the Central Business District has been up for sale as Morgan Lewis plans to vacate the entire space and move five blocks west into a new 19-story building at 2222 Market St. in 2023.

The 18-story 1701 Market building is owned by an entity affiliated with LXP Industrial Trust (NYSE: LXP), previously known as Lexington Realty Trust. The New York company rebranded last year as it sheds its office portfolio to focus solely on industrial properties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations