HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:03 AM

Does anyone have a pic of West Midtown with all of the cranes??? Thanks

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:32 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I didn't see any mention of skyscrapers in Home Park but the neighborhood already has several buildings under construction of much higher density than SFHs. So please speak for yourself.

I apologize... I missed the article detailing how Home Park' s aggressive annexation policies upended neighborhood boundaries by annexing West Midtown's commercial district.

Does the mayor and city council know about Home Park's hostile takeover of their friendly neighbors?

Unprecedented

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
I apologize... I missed the article detailing how Home Park' s aggressive annexation policies upended neighborhood boundaries by annexing West Midtown's commercial district.

Does the mayor and city council know about Home Park's hostile takeover of their friendly neighbors?

Unprecedented
The “West Midtown” commercial district is largely in Home Park. Home Park has a residential district and a commercial district.

West Midtown is not the historic name for the area. West Midtown cannot be absorbed or annexed by another neighborhood because its borders are not officially recognized by the city. It’s a colloquialism used to describe an area that is part of several neighborhoods.

Last edited by Username123; Jun 21, 2019 at 1:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:

Unprecedented
Apology accepted. Clearly that's not the only thing you've missed.

the official neighborhood boundaries pre-annexation.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
This type of talk reminds me of the late 60s and 70s when black neighborhoods were bulldozed to make way for so-called urban renewal projects.

Now we have some privileged folks wanting to dismantle middle-class neighborhoods because Atlanta's urban core doesn't match up well with more densely populated northern cities.
Always an important consideration when people talk about "transforming" neighborhoods, but I don't see how your example applies at all here. The census tracts that make up home park have always been majority white; in the 2010 census all three were 9% black or less. Home Park hasn't been a "middle-class neighborhood" in a long time. It's a student neighborhood, mostly rental. A quick look on Zillow shows that for-sale houses are $500K+, with small condos going for $300K+. It's a perfect candidate for increased density that would encourage walkability without pushing out residents.
Your statement is more applicable to a Beltline-adjacent neighborhood in Southwest Atlanta, not Home Park.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:15 PM

before

after

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:26 PM

Before and after pics of Midtown

Is the top (old) pic from the late 70s?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:29 PM

Even that after picture is horribly out of date, but that's on google maps not you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Is the top (old) pic from the late 70s?
1982. It was posted a few pages back.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Even that after picture is horribly out of date, but that's on google maps not you.

1982. It was posted a few pages back.
Stunning the changes in 37 years.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:25 PM

I was talking about urban renewal in the United States during the 60s and 70s not in Midtown Atlanta.

And If $500,000 home prices is not middle-class, then the middle-class no longer exists.

I doubt many people are aware that West Midtown is a hipster term for the commerciaized section of Home Park. Is that's the case, I stand corrected.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:27 PM

Home Park

When folk were talking about razing Home Park in this thread (and what most people with history of more than 20 years in Atlanta) think of when they think of Home Park is the East/West boundary of Atlantic Dr/Northside Drive....and South/North boundary of 10th/14th streets.
Indeed, comments were referring to that boundary until the pics of Howell Mill corridor popped up.

I like skyscrapers. But I don't like the idea of razing Home Park (or anywhere) just to extend urban fabric of Midtown/AS. In many ways, Home Park is an extension of Georgia Tech's campus. I've even heard the notion of Georgia Tech campus breaking up the urban cohesiveness of Downtown and Midtown on their western parts. I surely don't like the idea of razing Georgia Tech's campus just for urban/density purposes. Maybe better street connection in parts and let things happens organically like with 5th Street and Technology Square in Midtown but no razing.

**Side note**
I found it interesting that Hemphill Avenue used to run straight through the central core of Tech's campus past Ferst Drive and connect with Luckie Street traversing to the heart of Downtown. I believe it was the case as late as the 1970s.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Home Park is shaped a little like a chode.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Always an important consideration when people talk about "transforming" neighborhoods, but I don't see how your example applies at all here. The census tracts that make up home park have always been majority white; in the 2010 census all three were 9% black or less. Home Park hasn't been a "middle-class neighborhood" in a long time. It's a student neighborhood, mostly rental. A quick look on Zillow shows that for-sale houses are $500K+, with small condos going for $300K+. It's a perfect candidate for increased density that would encourage walkability without pushing out residents.
Your statement is more applicable to a Beltline-adjacent neighborhood in Southwest Atlanta, not Home Park.
Exactly. And by enabling NIMBY restrictions that limit development in already-gentrified but underbuilt neighborhoods, we encourage actual gentrification in neighborhoods like southwest Atlanta. The two are interrelated.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:42 PM

Yep you can see Hemphill in this postcard and campus map from 1968

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Exactly. And by enabling NIMBY restrictions that limit development in already-gentrified but underbuilt neighborhoods, we encourage actual gentrification in neighborhoods like southwest Atlanta. The two are interrelated.
Don't overthink it. Some people just want a yard - the Beltline a factor also. A lot of this SW Atlanta real estate is unoccupied and in disrepair. The real issue is not gentrification of these areas, but rather the homeless. Maybe part of the deal is to get some of the homeless salted into neighborhoods by way of managed group homes etc.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:08 PM

FDA Officially Moving

FDA is officially moving from current Midtown location. Hopefully developers have something significant for this prime Peachtree address...

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/21...treet-property

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Don't overthink it. Some people just want a yard - the Beltline a factor also. A lot of this SW Atlanta real estate is unoccupied and in disrepair. The real issue is not gentrification of these areas, but rather the homeless. Maybe part of the deal is to get some of the homeless salted into neighborhoods by way of managed group homes etc.
We have the rest of a metro area the size of New Jersey for "some people" that just want a yard.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I was talking about urban renewal in the United States during the 60s and 70s not in Midtown Atlanta.

And If $500,000 home prices is not middle-class, then the middle-class no longer exists.

I doubt many people are aware that West Midtown is a hipster term for the commerciaized section of Home Park. Is that's the case, I stand corrected.

But you have yet to articulate any correlation between urban renewal in the 60's -70's and the idea of up-zoning the Home Park neighborhood for higher density development.

What I posted is the official boundaries of the neighborhood. The West Midtown moniker has no defined boundaries and is dependent on who you ask.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
FDA is officially moving from current Midtown location. Hopefully developers have something significant for this prime Peachtree address...

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/21...treet-property
Could make for an interesting few years if this parcel, cousins Peachtree & 8th (residential), and cousins West Peachtree & 8th (office) are developed at the same time. All in that could make a huge difference and help escalate this portion of Atlanta even further.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 3:18 PM

I love what this Atlanta-based firm is all about, and I am really hoping they oversee more projects like this throughout ATL. I think developments of this scale and style would fit nicely in Midtown on the smaller connecting streets between Peachtree and West Peachtree (especially between Crescent and West Peachtree down 12th and 13th streets)

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/6/...ffice-building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations