HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:37 PM

About Willie Wilson's support--
You have to consider that the other 3 viable candidates are considered outsiders to Chicago's African-American community. They don't necessarily agree with the guy, but they DO know him, so that is the reason why he won so many wards.
Lightfoot and Preckwinkle, aside from their race, have no more connection to the South Side than a white progressive living in Lincoln Park does. They didn't grow up in those neighborhoods; they came to Chicago by way of UofC, and so on. Enyia's family is African, and she only got her support from Chance the Rapper's endorsement.

Lightfoot and Preckwinkle will have to compete for the trust of South and West-siders, so endorsements from Willie Wilson and others are critical.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

From Crain's:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...en-springfield
Quote:

Daley got clobbered in sections of the Northwest and Southwest sides that are home to many police officers, firefighters and other city workers by attorney Jerry Joyce. Daley should have done well in such areas in the same way that his brother and father did when they ran for mayor, but the pension issue hurt. Ironically, all of those cops will have to live with a new mayor in Lightfoot or Preckwinkle, both of whom strongly back tough police reforms and increased accountability.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:15 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Why is police accountability and reform ironic, police should embrace it. It will increase community trust thus making their jobs safer over the long run.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah, look at the tribunes ward map. Joyce won some of those wards by huge margins, Daley came in second. Daley would have been the top vote getter had Joyce not been in the race. In the 19th alone, Joyce had 7500 votes to second place Daley at 1800. Vallas was in third, then Lightfoot and then Prekwinkle. I bet those Joyce voters aren't too happy. Now we are stuck with two bad choices.

Last edited by Vlajos; Feb 28, 2019 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ daley was a deeply flawed candidate because of his last name.

he was not entitled to anyone's vote.

he needed to earn them.

he did not.

it's on him.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 28, 2019 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:38 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah, look at the tribunes ward map. Joyce won some of those wards by huge margins, Daley came in second. Daley would have been the top vote getter had Joyce not been in the race. In the 19th alone, Joyce had 7500 votes to second place Daley at 1800. Vallas was in third, then Lightfoot and then Prekwinkle. I bet those Joyce voters aren't too happy. Now we are stuck with two bad choices.
I think Daley's pension stance probably pissed off a bunch of cops and firefighters who went to Joyce instead.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:43 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Tribune now has precinct-level results:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...htmlstory.html

Daley was squeezed between white liberals who went for Lightfoot and city workers who went for Joyce.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I think Daley's pension stance probably pissed off a bunch of cops and firefighters who went to Joyce instead.
Absolutely, but Daley would have almost certainly been the second choice of the Joyce voters. The Daley and Joyce families used to work together, I guess they had a falling out somewhat recently.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 5:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the other reason that the "joyce was a spoiler" accusations are BS is that joyce was in this race before rahm bowed out and everyone and their brother (including bill daley) said "what the hell, i'll run for mayor too, i guess".

from joyce's perspective, it'd be very easy to see daley as the actual spolier in this case.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 28, 2019 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Well there goes the 78. Thanks a lot Joyce that was polling never more than single digits the whole election.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/2/27...ni-preckwinkle

In a historic runoff, mayoral candidates Lightfoot, Preckwinkle could reshape Chicago

38 comments

The pro-development days of the Emanuel administration could be coming to a close
By Jay Koziarz Feb 27, 2019, 12:05pm CST

After heading to the polls in near record-low numbers, Chicago voters whittled the crowded field of 14 mayoral candidates down to just two: former federal prosecutor Lori Lightfoot and Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. With no one securing the necessary 50 percent of votes, the top two candidates will head to a runoff election on April 2.

Lightfoot and Preckwinkle bested apparent third-place finisher Bill Daley, an establishment candidate who was considered most closely aligned with the policies of outgoing mayor Rahm Emanuel. The move could be a seismic shift in Emanuel’s pro-development stance which, critics say, has prioritized Chicago’s downtown and lakefront areas while leaving the rest of the city behind.

Both candidates support reforming Chicago’s controversial use of tax increment financing (TIF) to spur private developments. Their opposition comes at a time when City Hall is poised to approve two massive TIF districts to subsidize infrastructure for a pair of riverfront megaprojects known as Lincoln Yards and The 78.

Preckwinkle and Lightfoot have also been lukewarm on Emanuel’s plan to let Elon Musk’s Boring Company build a private high-speed express tunnel to O’Hare International Airport. Lightfoot has expressed doubts that the project could be completed without taxpayer money while Preckwinkle told the Tribune that she would put the proposed tunnel “on pause” and instead prioritize investments in existing transit such as Metra and the CTA.

Preckwinkle has come out in favor of lifting the state of Illinois’s ban on rent control and Lightfoot says she will take a critical look

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 7:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
That seems to be the go-to response, just LOL @ conservatives instead of actually say something of substance.
An attempt to add substance:

For decades, conservatives have accused democratic politicians of promising handouts to poor minorities in exchange for votes.

In this case, you have a conservative candidate literally handing out money to poor minorities. When he captures a large percentage of that same poor minority vote your first assumption is that it is based on policy substance.

From my perspective, it seems like a disingenuous argument used to reinforce a predetermined assumption. You can't have it both ways.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 8:31 PM
The City

Another unspoken advantage to a Lightfoot Mayorality would be how it would affect Chicago’s image. At least to some provincial coastal types Chicago is sort of a meat and potatoes city without much flair. Having elected a Lesbian black female Mayor would help change that image for the better. It would send the message that we are a much more open and progressive city than people realize.

I don’t think any major American city has ever had a gay black female mayor. This would be a first.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Another unspoken advantage to a Lightfoot Mayorality would be how it would affect Chicago’s image. At least to some provincial coastal types Chicago is sort of a meat and potatoes city without much flair. Having elected a Lesbian black female Mayor would help change that image for the better. It would send the message that we are a much more open and progressive city than people realize.

I don’t think any major American city has ever had a gay black female mayor. This would be a first.
Houston had a white female lesbian Mayor, so I think you're right. That was the closest.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 8:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

yeah, "black lesbian" ticks all of the big 3 diversity categories (race, gender, sexual orientation).

now if only lori was also a muslim, left-handed, disabled, little person, then she'd be like the most "diverse" person in the world.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 9:09 PM

I am very disappointed that Daley lost. Neither one of these candidates are pro- business. And all of the neighborhood improvements they desire are not possible without an burgeoning business climate. I think though that Preckwinkle would be more likely though to warm up to the business sector than Lightfoot . Many of the unions that align with Preckwinkle know the importance of a having a growing construction, and other construction related jobs sector. Something tells me Lightfoot would be more inclined toward furthering social causes, and getting boughed down with police related issues, like Obama did at the expense of everything else. So Lightfoot is a no go for me.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 9:19 PM

Lightfoot is a Rahm appointee with a decidedly more technocratic platform than "yay raises for everyone who votes for me!"

Do not be fooled for a second into thinking Toni Preckwinkle is anything other than destructively anti business.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Lightfoot is a Rahm appointee with a decidedly more technocratic platform than "yay raises for everyone who votes for me!"

Do not be fooled for a second into thinking Toni Preckwinkle is anything other than destructively anti business.
Problem is , Lightfoot would be more beholden to every fringe group in Chicago. That may be good for your reputation, but terrible for business. I want a city that works from downtown out, instead of outside in. Many people had a problem with Rahm style government, but with the exception of a few blaring mistakes, I didn't . I for one do not want to go back to the days of feudal ethnic warfare. If that becomes the order of the day I am gone. I just believe that Preckwinkle would be more insolated against that. Evidence is her pop-tax, though I disagreed with her, she yet held true to her convictions, until John Daley told her she didn't have the support from his constituents. I cant think of any convictions Lightfoot have shown.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
Problem is , Lightfoot would be more beholden to every fringe group in Chicago. That may be good for your reputation, but terrible for business. I want a city that works from downtown out, instead of outside in. Many people had a problem with Rahm style government, but with the exception of a few blaring mistakes, I didn't . I for one do not want to go back to the days of feudal ethnic warfare. If that becomes the order of the day I am gone. I just believe that Preckwinkle would be more insolated against that. Evidence is her pop-tax, though I disagreed with her, she yet held true to her convictions, until John Daley told her she didn't have the support from his constituents. I cant think of any convictions Lightfoot have shown.
I think you need to read Lightfoot's positions. She is actually more moderate than Prekwinkle on most things. I voted for neither of them, but will vote for Lightfoot after reading more about her. We know Prekwinkle is being funded by CTU and SEIU and has come out in favor of rent control. She has done nothing at the County but raise taxes. Chicago does not need more of that.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 11:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
I'm not understanding how you are coming to the conclusions that Preckwinkle would be more downtown-centric and would prevent all out "ethnic warfare"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 11:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm not understanding how you are coming to the conclusions that Preckwinkle would be more downtown-centric and would prevent all out "ethnic warfare"
yeah, it's like he's posting from an alternate universe or something.

in any even, i just made my first donation to lightfoot's campaign today.

she's gonna need every penny she can get if she's gonna tackle the mighty sodawinkle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest