HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
So what happens with customs etc with Air Canada? Will terminal 3 have it's own customs section? That seems strange after all the money they have spent on terminal 4 infrastructure.
I imagine they passengers are precleared in Canada. Is that not currently the case?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 1:20 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I imagine they passengers are precleared in Canada. Is that not currently the case?
Yes, all inbound flights are from major Canadian cities with U.S. preclearance facilities at their airports. If an airline ever added a nonstop flight from a smaller Canadian city without preclearance (e.g. Victoria, Regina, or Saskatoon), then that flight would have to land at Terminal 4 so that passengers would pass through customs. Here's a list of current U.S. preclearance facilities at Canadian airports:

Calgary International Airport
Edmonton International Airport
Halifax Stanfield International Airport
Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport
Toronto Pearson International Airport
Vancouver International Airport
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
So what happens with customs etc with Air Canada? Will terminal 3 have it's own customs section? That seems strange after all the money they have spent on terminal 4 infrastructure.
No, there is no customs at T3. All Canadians passengers have go through U.S. Preclearance facility at some Canadian airports. They won't have go through customs at PHX T3.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:22 PM

Terminal 2 will close forever on February 4th

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...erminal-3.html

Quote:
The latest addition in the years-long effort to modernize Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is nearly complete.

Starting Feb. 3, flights will start arriving at the newly renovated North Concourse of Terminal 3. With the opening of the concourse, Sky Harbor will complete the third and final phase of the Terminal 3 modernization project that cost a total of $590 million.

The project's first phase, which included new security and ticket counters, was finished in 2016. The second phase was the updated South Concourse, which opened in January 2019.

The new concourse includes a number of modern amenities and just like in other parts of the airport, a handful of local restaurants.

Click through the slideshow above to see photos of the new concourse.

The 10-gate concourse will include locations of Ajo Al’s Mexican Cafe, Phoenix Beer Co., and Scramble. All three will be operated by airport food-and-beverage vendor SSP America. There also will be a Starbucks location.

The North Concourse will have two retail stores, one called Stellar News + Market and another called Discover Arizona.

Other customer amenities in the new concourse include an animal relief area, nursing room, family restroom and one of the most coveted things at any airport: power for mobile devices.

“The most requested item – every single seat has a plug,” said Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego.

Gallego and other members of Phoenix City Council toured the new concourse on Tuesday and unveiled a plaque of former U.S. Sen. John McCain. In 2017, Council decided to rename the terminal “John S. McCain III Terminal 3.” McCain’s widow, Cindy McCain, took part in the unveiling ceremony.

With the opening of the new concourse, Sky Harbor is ready to move on to its next project, which will be demolishing the aging Terminal 2. The last flight to take off from Terminal 2 will be on Feb. 4.

The airlines that operated out of Terminal 2 – Alaska Airlines, Boutique Air, Contour Airlines and United Airlines – will move to the North Concourse of Terminal 3. Air Canada also will relocate its operations from Terminal 4 to the new Terminal 3 concourse.

Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Spirit and Sun Country will continue to operate in Terminal 3.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:07 AM

Yes, I will be there next Tuesday afternoon. I will take a pictures at entire T2 farewell. I can post a pics on my Facebook.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:56 AM

Tonight is the last night. All airlines is moving to T3. Farewell Terminal 2.

It's time to say goodbye terminal 2. We will bid farewell.

United Airlines already move to T3 today.

Alaska Air will move to T3 tomorrow.

Contour Air, Boutique Airlines will move to T3, but they will share with Delta Air Lines ticket counter.

Air Canada will move to T3 on Thursday from T4.

Here's a link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...era/ar-BBZF424

From my posts on FlyerTalk:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32033711-post109.html

Pics is in there.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:18 PM

A few renderings of the 8th concourse in Terminal 4.

https://twitter.com/PHXSkyHarbor/sta...637078529?s=19

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:07 AM
Skyriser

That is ... white. Looks like a hospital.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:06 PM

FWIW - JSX has (finally) opened a flight from PHX -> Orange County. They now have 4 flights out of PHX: Vegas, OAK, Burbank & Orange County.

Great way to fly if you need to get to one of those 4 cities!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
fwiw - jsx has (finally) opened a flight from phx -> orange county. They now have 4 flights out of phx: Vegas, oak, burbank & orange county.

oh hell yeah

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:13 AM

Quote:
FWIW - JSX has (finally) opened a flight from PHX -> Orange County. They now have 4 flights out of PHX: Vegas, OAK, Burbank & Orange County.

Nice! Hopefully they will continue to bring more specific new routes from PHX. I hoping they can bring more nonstop flight from PHX-RNO/ABQ/SLC/COS/ASE.

Also, we don't have nonstop flight from PHX to Aspen, CO. Will they ever consider it? Can they bring nonstop flight to Aspen, CO?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Nice! Hopefully they will continue to bring more specific new routes from PHX. I hoping they can bring more nonstop flight from PHX-RNO/ABQ/SLC/COS/ASE.

Also, we don't have nonstop flight from PHX to Aspen, CO. Will they ever consider it? Can they bring nonstop flight to Aspen, CO?
They are focused on the ‘short route’ flights that all the major airlines have generally abandoned. They also do seasonal routes to a few locations - i.e Coachella and Mammoth Mountain (Yosemite). Could they do PHX -> Aspen? I dunno - I’d expect PHX -> San Diego, PHX -> ABQ and PHX -> SLC first. More likely those routes stay full.

Also - my latest flight to OAK was on a jet with a new interior. More traditional airline seats and (finally) over head bins. I have mixed feelings about this it didn’t feel as ‘upscale’ - but as they grow will help new flyers adapt to their surroundings more easily I think. If it helps me continue to fly to OAK for $99, TSA-Free I’m all for it in the end.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 12:51 PM

Condor extends seasonal flights from Phoenix to Germany

Quote:
Condor, the European airline that operates direct flights from Arizona to Germany, will begin its seasonal service this year to Frankfurt from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport earlier than ever.

In its third year of operations, Condor will begin its seasonal Phoenix flights on April 4, almost a month earlier than in 2019.

Condor will fly between Phoenix and Frankfurt three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday) in 2020, just as it did during 2019. Last year Condor flew a total of 35,487 passengers either into or out of Sky Harbor. With an extra month of service, the airline could expect that number grow some more.

More...
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post

Here's hoping we get one straight to Japan sooner rather than later

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post

This was just a promo, it was originally announced last June about the extension

https://www.skyharbor.com/Media_old/...flight-in-2020

On another note EW 5X weekly FRA-PHX-FRA will be year around, it was speculated on airliners.net that it was seasonal only.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
Here's hoping we get one straight to Japan sooner rather than later
I doubt that. I am sure they will working on it. They will able to bring nonstop flight from PHX-NRT or HND.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:54 PM

Mesa Gateway to get new air traffic control tower, opening the possibility of major airlines at the airport.

https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ne...edc885d28.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Mesa Gateway to get new air traffic control tower, opening the possibility of major airlines at the airport.

https://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ne...edc885d28.html
Great news, it is high past time Mesa Gateway really expands into our secondary airport with actual gates. Not that Sky Harbor is over crowded but the region is big enough now to need a reliever.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Great news, it is high past time Mesa Gateway really expands into our secondary airport with actual gates. Not that Sky Harbor is over crowded but the region is big enough now to need a reliever.
Yeah, but that’s just a crappy location for about 2/3 of the valley. Was talking to someone who found a cheap flight out of Gateway - but then quickly realized the $50 Uber ($100 round trip + tip) ride made it a wash between there or out of Sky Harbor.

Yes, more options are good - just think ultimately we’d need another reliever for the west valley. Wherever that could be (Deer Valley? Goodyear?)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but that’s just a crappy location for about 2/3 of the valley. Was talking to someone who found a cheap flight out of Gateway - but then quickly realized the $50 Uber ($100 round trip + tip) ride made it a wash between there or out of Sky Harbor.

Yes, more options are good - just think ultimately we’d need another reliever for the west valley. Wherever that could be (Deer Valley? Goodyear?)
Deer Valley does not have the space for it, they already have a lot of crashes with small planes. best option would be Goodyear or an entirely new airport.

But Mesa Gateway also provides better transport options not just for "the Valley" but Coolidge, Florence, Globe Etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest