HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
new wine bar has opened at 848 W. Fifth St., in the same building that houses Pink Moon Cafe.

Mary Martinez Coffey and Joe Cleaver opened Boutique Wines on March 22.

Coffey, a clinical pharmacist and nutritionist, owns Boutique Wellness, which operates on the second floor of the building. She also owns the building.
https://journalnow.com/life-entertai...ce=mp-homepage

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:22 PM

We could go on about Interstate designation in W-S.

And by the way, thanks again Matthew - Liberty Park: yuck - well, I reckon the youngsters will like it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:26 AM
Fourth and Main

Work actually started on Interstate 420, with roughly half of it completed, and then work stopped. This is the end point, which some of you who are into highways may find interesting: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wbiR3RBVHVA6yWui8

Since it never connected to I-20, it was never signed as an Interstate. Maybe they could've signed as a three-digit Interstate of I-85, since it did connect I-85 to I-285? They could've used I-485 from the never built three-digit Interstate discussed below?

The other day, I was listening to 90.1 WABE here in Atlanta and they spoke with Steve Davis (Divided by Design). He spoke of an Interstate 485 that would've run parallel to the Connector, connecting State Route 400 to I-675. Some land (ROW) was acquired and cleared for the project and part of that land became The Carter Center. Of course all of these three-digit-Interstates led to the Great Atlanta Highway Revolt of the 60s/70s and that, along with the value of property destroyed, was the topic of their discussion.

Last edited by Matthew; Mar 27, 2024 at 3:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
We could go on about Interstate designation in W-S.

And by the way, thanks again Matthew - Liberty Park: yuck - well, I reckon the youngsters will like it.
I mean, it's a 1,000% improvement over the creepy, urine stained concrete maze that was there before. I don't know if you've seen it in person but it's totally opened up the entrance to the building and restaurant. It feels inviting. I believe the owner of the building also power washed or maybe even painted it. It looks good. Very white.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smain View Post
I mean, it's a 1,000% improvement over the creepy, urine stained concrete maze that was there before. I don't know if you've seen it in person but it's totally opened up the entrance to the building and restaurant. It feels inviting. I believe the owner of the building also power washed or maybe even painted it. It looks good. Very white.
Thank you!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 5:00 AM

Yes, of course it’s a heap better. I was referring only to the Smurf-like mushrooms and playroom-like flowers.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 9:29 AM

Wow this is a tough crowd. I think the musical statues in the Liberty Park will be fun for kids walking to the museum and hanging out.

I don’t see how that ugly building at 790 21st street could become residential. If I was looking at the right place it is a super worn metal building across from heavy industrial. Unfortunately folks have lived adjacent this industrial area for decades.

I am excited about NASCAR. It could definitely broaden the reach of the stadium.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:53 PM

Also happy about the NASCAR announcement. Bowman Gray is one of the most unique sports venues in the region.

The Rhinotimes reports that Winston-Salem is outpacing GSO in population growth.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/gree...-cities-in-nc/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Yes, of course it’s a heap better. I was referring only to the Smurf-like mushrooms and playroom-like flowers.
Yeah, they're not for you.

That whole area looks loads better. I know people belly-ache about all the concrete in Merschel Park, but between the park/plaza work and Kaleideum, I'm a little sad my kids are starting to age out of the prime children's museum years.

And the investment in Bowman Gray (and Wilkes) by NASCAR is a win for this area, and I think a smart decision by NASCAR. I've never been much of a NASCAR guy, but it seems like the organization got so concerned with growing its base, it lost track of its fun homespun heritage.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 5:03 PM
WashingtonParker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity View Post
The Rhinotimes reports that Winston-Salem is outpacing GSO in population growth.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/gree...-cities-in-nc/
Thanks for posting this, Twin City; I hadn't seen these city population figures. The U.S. Census Bureau recently published their official estimates of county-by-county figures for 2023, and they would seem to back up the Rhino Times's lament that Winston-Salem is growing faster than Greensboro. Here are the numerical and percentage growth figures for the 2020-2023 period:

Forsyth County: +10,332 (+2.7%) for a 2023 population of 392,921
Guilford County: +8,569 (+1.6%) for a 2023 population of 549,866

To put this in context, here are the comparable figures for Wake and Mecklenburg counties:

Mecklenburg: +48,167 (+4.3%) for a 2023 population of 1,163,701
Wake: +60,923 (+5.4%) for a 2023 population of 1,190,275

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 6:06 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Two apartment developments are roaring back to life, with a start date for one of them! Also... great photograph updates for two projects we don't see many photographs of! All of this and more, in this week's Update!

Video Link

The Byrum Apartments:
The Byrum Apartments is finally preparing to start! Yes, we have a new start date! Demolition is scheduled for June 21, 2024 and it should take a month to demolish the building. Grading will follow, with actual construction on the apartment building starting in January 2025. They are anticipating the first residents moving-in around December 2025. Interestingly, the number of apartment units has increased by three. This building will now have 289 apartments in 247,889-square-feet of residential space and a 117,836-square-foot parking deck. It will also have 8,359-square-feet of indoor amenities (including co-working space) and 18,268-square-feet of outdoor amenities that include a pickleball court in the parking deck, outdoor fitness space, a small dog park, grill station with pool, and two courtyards that open to... electrical equipment!

I like this new site plan with legend:

Credit: Axiom Architecture

I also found the northeastern courtyard landscape plan interesting:

Credit: Axiom Architecture

New Jobs:
A company is seeking state and local incentives for a $53 million economic development project in Davidson County. There are very few details and the State is calling this "Project Owl."

Interstate 74:

Someone has never heard of "Induced Demand"...:
Video Link

Brown-Coltrane Building Restoration:
Are the Spencers restoring the former Winston Cup Museum Building back to it's original 1940s appearance as the Brown-Coltrane Motor Co., Nash Dealership? I was told Will has the original blueprints and old photographs. I guess we shall see what happens?

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
These are the best photographs we've had of this project in months and they include a look inside!

Last Week:

Credit: Ghostryiderr

March 20:

Credit: Windsor Commercial

Körner’s Folly Visitor Center:
The grand opening of the Wolfe Visitors Center at Körner’s Folly is scheduled for tomorrow at 10 a.m.,.

Chatham Building Apartments, Hotel, & Retail:

This could be three or more weeks old? I couldn't find where the image was from?

Credit: Unknown?

Regenerative Medicine Jobs:
Charter Medical has leased space in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District for their new Innovation Hub, featuring state-of-the-art lab space where single-use studies for freezing, transportation, and protection will be performed to support the biopharma industry’s cold chain logistics process. The lease is for lab space at One Technology Place.

They must have leased a significant amount of space to have a ribbon cutting with the Mayor, blocking the entrance? Did they lease the entire building?

Credit: Innovation Quarter

NASCAR All-Star Race:
Workers are inspecting the foundation and concrete under the seats and will make any needed repairs before May 14. Currently, workers have found a large sinkhole under the concrete. 600 seats, in two sections, were removed to make repairs.

Reynolda Church Expansion:
Visioneering Studios was hired to create renderings for a potential expansion at Reynolda Church. The church was built in 1915! They are also working on renderings of possible renovations at their two other locations.

Credit: Visioneering Studios

Stevens Center Renovation:
Jenkins Peer Architects was selected, along with Steinberg Hart, to work on the second phase of this project. Construction on the second phase will start in Fall 2025. In the first phase, under construction right now, workers are renovating the lobby, concessions, restrooms, green room, and dressing rooms behind the stage, along with repairs to the facade and replacing the roof.

Kernersville Recreation Center:

Video Link

Brookhyrst Apartments:
Brookhyrst Apartments returns as an active project, this month! They are currently working on easements.

New Tenants/Leases:
Adam Andrews is reopening the now closed Southside Beer Garden under the new name "Easy Tiger Beer Garden." The opening is scheduled for April 12. I was the first to break the news on this project on social media, several days ago. It was officially announced on Friday, with the exciting signage photograph below.

These two letters from the former Winston Tower sign will be used at the new Easy Tiger Beer Garden:

Credit: Thegotowinstonsalem

Alliance Architecture is moving to the ground floor of the 2601 Pilgrim Court Office Building. Frank L. Blum Construction will be the general contractor. The lease is for 2,400-square-feet of office space.

Truist Stadium Upgrades:

Credit: wsdashbaseball

Off-Subject:

Celebrity Sighting: John Lang (a.k.a., Bills Elvis) from Buffalo, New York on downtown Winston-Salem's Fourth Street (Notice the Bills fans around him):

Credit: thirstypallet

Most Climate Resilient Cities:
Winston-Salem is in the top-5 most climate resilient cities, according to USA Today. The list was made to help people considering moving to a city that is more resistant to extreme weather. Eight criteria were studied to create the list. They include the FEMA Risk Index, Severe Weather Events from 2019–2023, Tree Equity Score, Renewable Energy Tax Incentives, 2050 Projected Water Stress, Riverine Flooding Risk, Exposure to Hurricanes & Flooding, and Drought Risk.

Your City

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 2:47 AM

Thanks for the update, Matthew.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 2:48 AM

It’s Eastertime in the City!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:22 PM

Dude working on the Sushi Rose restaurant told me today that they hope the restaurant will be open by next month. The bar area looks substantially complete and is very swanky.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The latest investment in Metropolitan Village — a $60 million multi-phase workforce housing complex in the East End neighborhood of Winston-Salem — comes as $1 million in equity funding from the Winston-Salem Foundation.

The foundation said it is the largest investment from its Inclusive Economy portfolio, which gives from $100,000 to $1 million.

United Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church is the lead group on Metropolitan Village, a modern apartment complex that will have mixed uses, mixed-income housing and represent a $60 million investment.

In total, Metropolitan Village will have 323 units of below-market rate housing, with 25 units deeply discounted to prevent displacement of long-term residents.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 12:12 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the photographs! I love how the new museum rises above the park, where Trade Street ends. That area looks great! I just wish someone would buy and develop the "L-shaped" site around Hotel Indigo.

I'm guessing Sushi Rose will open a year later than originally scheduled? I would love to hear the story behind the delay. I remember Barcelona Burger was delayed for a similar amount of time, with the owner driving over an hour from his home, several times a week, to complete the upfit himself!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Thank you for the photographs! I love how the new museum rises above the park, where Trade Street ends. That area looks great! I just wish someone would buy and develop the "L-shaped" site around Hotel Indigo.

I'm guessing Sushi Rose will open a year later than originally scheduled? I would love to hear the story behind the delay. I remember Barcelona Burger was delayed for a similar amount of time, with the owner driving over an hour from his home, several times a week, to complete the upfit himself!
Yes, the Museum looks neat heading south on Trade Street. Merschel Park is nice but needs tree cover and shrubbery to moderate its current harsh asphalt aesthetic.

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Apr 3, 2024 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:
The Winston-Salem Dash have entered into an agreement to sell the franchise to Diamond Baseball Holdings (DBH), an organization that owns and operates select Minor League clubs affiliated with Major League Baseball (MLB). All existing Dash employees will remain under the local leadership of current Dash President & General Manager, Brian DeAngelis. The Dash will continue playing at Truist Stadium in Winston-Salem as the High-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.

“It has been an honor to contribute to the history of professional baseball in Winston-Salem through ownership of the Dash, and I’m pleased to pass the baton to DBH, who share in my vision for the future of the franchise and its impact on the community,” said Billy Prim, managing partner of the Dash ownership group. “DBH is widely known for its focus on investing in the local communities where it operates with a commitment to providing affordable, family-friendly entertainment and unforgettable experiences, and I’m confident in their ability to do the same for Winston-Salem.”

“DBH clearly values and recognizes the traditions and uniqueness of the Dash and will be very helpful with our overall in-game operations, ticketing strategies, branding and merchandising, corporate partnerships, and relationships with other local businesses and nonprofit organizations,” said DeAngelis. “I believe DBH will become a valued partner to the Winston-Salem community in short order. Our opening day this spring is April 9 and will be the beginning of what will become a new standard of entertainment in Winston-Salem.”
https://www.milb.com/winston-salem/n...eball-holdings

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 9:37 PM

Quote:
South African manufacturer of heavy-duty transportation components looking for North American foothold is identified as the applicant for Forsyth County incentives.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-salem-nc.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
The Forsyth County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a $69,746 incentives package for Radel Inc., an electronics manufacturing company looking to develop a 35,000-square-foot facility at 209 Mercantile Drive in Winston-Salem.

Radel is based in Johannesburg, South Africa, and makes electrical and electromechanical components for railway locomotives, passenger trains, defense and electrical vehicles.

According to a presentation given during a commissioners’ meeting Thursday, the company produces advanced electric motor generator units, regulators and convertors for the defense vehicle industry and the heavy vehicle sector.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations