HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 10:16 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Plans for 201-Unit Building Replacing CVS at Broad and Girard Revealed

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/plans-f...rard-revealed/
I've said before, but this is cool concept (love the outdoor spaces), but will likely end up looking super cheap.

Honest question, why is brick or masonry so rare these day in new Philadelphia development? Yes, I know its more costly than tinfoil panels, but its clearly viable (see Francisville project). Are developers that cheap, design standards that low, architects that lazy? I see this crap in sunbelt cities, but rarely in NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago. Cities that I see as Philadelphia's architectural peers.

(I will still take this over the CVS, but boy is this proposal something...)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:28 PM

https://whyy.org/articles/bleak-plaz...8-7m-makeover/

News on planned renovations to the wasteland between the Penn Center towers at 16th/Market/JFK.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

News on planned renovations to the wasteland between the Penn Center towers at 16th/Market/JFK.
Great news! That plaza is awful. This renovation and the eventual renovation of Thomas Paine Plaza will create a quad of nice parks / plazas around City Hall. Lets hope for lots of greenery.

Unrelated, but I wish 1515 Market & 2 Penn Center would get overbuilds and reskinning (a dream).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:25 PM
Chris

Nightclub owners got 9 years in prison for 2018 arson that devastated ‘the best block in Old City’

https://www.inquirer.com/news/imad-b...-20210624.html

Such an awful story. But does anyone know the status of 239 Chestnut? There was a replacement proposal before Covid.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

The rendering shows no trees which I think is the most glaring mistake. This area needs trees/planters/landscaping. Add some pavers, public art and lighting as well.

Boston:

Boulder:

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:36 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
The rendering shows no trees which I think is the most glaring mistake. This area needs trees/planters/landscaping. Add some pavers, public art and lighting as well.

Boston:

Boulder:
If im not mistaken trees cannot be done in this area due to the Subway, however planters and trees can be done.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Nightclub owners got 9 years in prison for 2018 arson that devastated ‘the best block in Old City’

https://www.inquirer.com/news/imad-b...-20210624.html

Such an awful story. But does anyone know the status of 239 Chestnut? There was a replacement proposal before Covid.
I never saw that proposal. Was it just to rebuild the building as it was? It was such a gorgeous structure.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 8:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I never saw that proposal. Was it just to rebuild the building as it was? It was such a gorgeous structure.
Rejected late 2019.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20191101...hestnut-St.pdf

Haven't heard anything since.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:26 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Rejected late 2019.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20191101...hestnut-St.pdf

Haven't heard anything since.
Denied due to the following.....

"DISCUSSION:
 The Committee questioned why the applicant is not reusing the salvaged cast iron façade. The Committee said that great lengths had been taken to salvage the material and the application includes no information that demonstrates that the salvaged historic fabric is unusable.
o The applicant responded that it was determined to be too expensive to reuse.  The Committee opined that the façade should be reconstructed as it is a piece of a
larger structure and complete documentation exists to aid in reconstruction. In addition it was noted that the similarity in the placement of fenestration shows that the applicant’s program is compatible with reconstruction.
o The applicant responded that the original architect Stephen Button had created a simple vertical façade and they were continuing in his tradition.
 The Committee asked about materials.
o The applicant responded that they are proposing steel and glass.
 The Committee responded that those materials would not be appropriate in this situation. The façade could be constructed in cast stone.
 The Committee questioned whether the overlays along Independence National Historic Park allow for this height.
o The applicants responded that they will have to seek a height variance in any case. Mr. Murray pointed out that the long-demolished Jayne Building that once existed across the street had been quite tall.
 The Committee recommended that, if the front façade was reconstructed, some additional floors might be acceptable, as long as they were designed with more sensitivity to minimize visibility. The Committee had concerns with the penthouses for the elevator, two stairhouses, and the front deck and its railings. The Committee opined that the front deck should be removed entirely.
o The applicant responded that they could potentially combine the stairhouses into one mass.
ARCHITECTURAL COMMITTEE, 24 SEPTEMBER 2019 9 PHILADELPHIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION
PHILADELPHIA’S PRINCIPAL PUBLIC STEWARD OF HISTORIC RESOURCES
o The Committee responded that they do not wish to see the width of the penthouse expanded.
PUBLIC COMMENT:
 Patrick Grossi opposed the project and spoke in favor of the reconstruction of the historic façade and the construction of some additional floors if they were designed to be more inconspicuous.
ARCHITECTURAL COMMITTEE FINDINGS & CONCLUSIONS:
The Architectural Committee found that:
 The structure at 239-241 Chestnut Street was constructed and designated as a
single structure.
 The streetscape is highly intact.
 The structure that was lost was highly significant because its architect Stephen
Button developed a version of the Italianate style with vertical piers which may well
have influenced the development of skyscraper design.
 The salvaged ironwork is by Stephen Badger, who was also important in the
development of cast iron architecture for which Old City is famous.
 The Department of Licenses & Inspections salvaged the cast-iron façade and made
a laser scan of the façade to allow for its reconstruction after the fire.
 The façade should be reconstructed with the ironwork.
 The proposed additional two floors and penthouses would be too conspicuous and
take the building too far from its original intent. They can be designed with greater sensitivity to minimize their conspicuousness.
The Architectural Committee concluded that:
 The proposed project does not meet Standard 6 because it does not reuse the
existing preserved historic cast-iron fabric and does not match the historic façade
known from photographs and the laser scan.
 The proposed project does not meet Standard 9 because the additional floors and
penthouses will be highly conspicuous from the south and west.
ARCHITECTURAL COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION: The Architectural Committee voted to recommend denial, pursuant to Standards 6 and 9."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 4:28 AM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:17 AM

Isn't this the spot that used to have public ice skating back when we had winters?
My suggestion, build a Wendy's there and call it good. After all, we're down a Wendy's since the at 11th? & Walnut closed.
Who actually owns this space?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Honest question, why is brick or masonry so rare these day in new Philadelphia development? Yes, I know its more costly than tinfoil panels, but its clearly viable (see Francisville project). Are developers that cheap, design standards that low, architects that lazy? I see this crap in sunbelt cities, but rarely in NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago. Cities that I see as Philadelphia's architectural peers
Yes it's cheaper, and from what I understand, the cost of building in Philly is pretty high and from what we all know thankfully is a more affordable city so rents are cheaper than our peers while Sunbelt cities are also affordable due to sprawl. That translates to lower returns for now, but there's definitely an overall upgrade in quality as more luxe projects are showing up. Fringe projects are still kinda hit or miss, and I think while living on a subway line and two prominent streets sounds good on paper, the noise and QoL issues would probably keep demand and rents lower than a few blocks off. I lived on Girard once and it was very busy in a bad way, and I imagine the corner of Girard and Broad would be a hard sell for many people, even if it's a prominent corner architecturally. I actually think office space might be better here for that reason

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Yes it's cheaper, and from what I understand, the cost of building in Philly is pretty high and from what we all know thankfully is a more affordable city so rents are cheaper than our peers while Sunbelt cities are also affordable due to sprawl. That translates to lower returns for now, but there's definitely an overall upgrade in quality as more luxe projects are showing up. Fringe projects are still kinda hit or miss, and I think while living on a subway line and two prominent streets sounds good on paper, the noise and QoL issues would probably keep demand and rents lower than a few blocks off. I lived on Girard once and it was very busy in a bad way, and I imagine the corner of Girard and Broad would be a hard sell for many people, even if it's a prominent corner architecturally. I actually think office space might be better here for that reason
I have a tenant in one of my properties who moved from 15th & Girard and she said it was an awful place to live. Trash, noise 24 hours a day, etc. So yes, good transit connections but it has a long way to go.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 2:07 PM
Chris

Fate of Painted Bride’s mosaic remains uncertain as developer pursues zoning exceptions

I hope this doesn't get derailed by a few noisy neighbors...

https://www.inquirer.com/news/painte...-20210623.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Fate of Painted Bride’s mosaic remains uncertain as developer pursues zoning exceptions

I hope this doesn't get derailed by a few noisy neighbors...

https://www.inquirer.com/news/painte...-20210623.html
They'll all cry when the Painted Bride is torn down for cheaper looking rowhomes that do nothing to engage the neighborhood. With all of the eventual projects around 2nd and Callowhill and 2nd and Spring Garden, this area of Old City will still be a total deadzone. I believe I read there's an ordinance against liquor licenses north of Arch?

“I think it’s a wonderful addition to the neighborhood,” he said. “But not at the expense of the neighborhood’s welfare and well-being.”

haha wow. A little dramatic.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
They'll all cry when the Painted Bride is torn down for cheaper looking rowhomes that do nothing to engage the neighborhood. With all of the eventual projects around 2nd and Callowhill and 2nd and Spring Garden, this area of Old City will still be a total deadzone. I believe I read there's an ordinance against liquor licenses north of Arch?

“I think it’s a wonderful addition to the neighborhood,” he said. “But not at the expense of the neighborhood’s welfare and well-being.”

The liquor thing is only between Arch and Race. I think it's about time they did away with that. The club thing in Old City isn't what it was when they enacted that.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:54 PM
Chris

What they’ll do on summer vacation: Every City Council member’s plans for their three-month recess

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/com...-20210625.html

Does anyone else find some of the council homework disturbing?

For example, an except from Progressive Councilwoman Jamie Gauthier... "Councilmember Quiñones-Sánchez and I introduced a bill that would require 20% affordability in any new development with 10 or more residential units. Ten percent of these units would have to be on the property itself, while the other 10% could either be on site, or replaced by a payment to the Housing Trust Fund."

Combine that with the decreased abatement, how do we expect any new projects to financially get off the ground (literally)? I know this won't pass now. BUT the fact that this is top priority for a growing number of council members: Gym, Gauthier, Sanchez, Brooks, etc., is not good... And I find the Progressive wave rather scary for Philadelphia's future.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:56 PM
Chris

Quote:

Yea, ridiculous. This part of Old City needs more denser, mixed-use development. And this project actually has widespread support from leaders and residents throughout Center City. It is literally one group of neighbors attempting to derail this...because it will ruin their view and cause more traffic... Then move to Chester County...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:14 AM

More unnecessary downzoning.

Philly Council limits development on growing Girard Avenue
Quote:
Under the new legislation approved Thursday, new building heights between 6th and 13th streets would be capped at 38 feet — about the height of a conventional, three-story rowhouse.
6th to 13th probably needs the most help imo. Idk what they're trying to "preserve" when ithat stretch includes a ton of strip malls

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:37 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
More unnecessary downzoning.

Philly Council limits development on growing Girard Avenue

6th to 13th probably needs the most help imo. Idk what they're trying to "preserve" when ithat stretch includes a ton of strip malls
I kind of understand why they are doing it.

Now I am saying this without facts, but their thought process might be that new development can be built however more of townhomes and apartments with ground level businesses so it does not push out the people who live in the area.

Taller buildings = Gentrification to them so they are limiting it for that reason.

This is a major area in the city though, I don't understand why they don't cap the height to about 10-15 stories. This will at least allow the area to gain density and be fair to the current residents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development