HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9361  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:27 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I wore a mask all the way on the walk to drop my kids off at school this morning.

Not to virtue signal, but because it was 4 fucking degrees with a wind-chill of -10.

Maybe this outdoor masking thing ain't such a stupid idea after all.
Just wear a Buff. Much more comfortable than a mask that hooks over your ears.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9362  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:42 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, below 40F I find it pretty comfortable to walk around with it on. Especially cloth masks. In general, people around here seem to wear them outside more when it's colder. I haven't worn a scarf since pre-pandemic partly because the mask has eliminated the need for it.
Companies in the scarf business are getting screwed.

Maybe now is the time to pour money into the stock of companies that make scarves?
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9363  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:49 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 36,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I wore a mask all the way on the walk to drop my kids off at school this morning.

Not to virtue signal, but because it was 4 fucking degrees with a wind-chill of -10.

Maybe this outdoor masking thing ain't such a stupid idea after all.
You guys don't have this cylindrical scarf-replacement thingy that's super useful and that everyone (in Quebec at least) has as standard winter equipment?

Not sure how it's called in English. ("Neck-hider" in French.)

Lately, every time I've walked to a store, I keep my "hat" (that's the right word for a tuque?) and I just keep that cylindrical-scarf thing as a "mask", and so far all employees everywhere have accepted to consider it a mask.

(Too annoying to get the mask's handles behind the ears when you're already dressed with tuque and neck-hider over it!)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9364  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:50 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 36,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Just wear a Buff. Much more comfortable than a mask that hooks over your ears.
We may be talking about the same thing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9365  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:53 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 26,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Just wear a Buff. Much more comfortable than a mask that hooks over your ears.
I'm the opposite. i hate things that go around my neck.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9366  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:55 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You guys don't have this cylindrical scarf-replacement thingy that's super useful and that everyone (in Quebec at least) has as standard winter equipment?

Not sure how it's called in English. ("Neck-hider" in French.)

Lately, every time I've walked to a store, I keep my "hat" (that's the right word for a tuque?) and I just keep that cylindrical-scarf thing as a "mask", and so far all employees everywhere have accepted to consider it a mask.

(Too annoying to get the mask's handles behind the ears when you're already dressed with tuque and neck-hider over it!)
That would be accepted as a mask everywhere down here. I guess it doesn't get as cold down here, so the mask is useful for performing the function of a scarf or face/neck warmer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9367  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:15 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 5,927
My partner and I caught this on the local TV news last night. We were laughing, the guy obviously has issues.
Video Link
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9368  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:22 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,372
^ That guy is a belligerent moron.

However, people standing around outdoors with masks on (when its warm outside) are pretty much idiots as well.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9369  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:38 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 36,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That would be accepted as a mask everywhere down here.
Same here so far, with the exception of hospitals, health clinics, etc. where they insist on giving you a brand new mask every time and you have to take theirs (surgical blue ones).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9370  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:44 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
We may be talking about the same thing
These things:
https://www.buff.com/

They’re Spanish apparently, but I’ve got a couple from Austria where everyone wears them skiing. But the point is they’re good in hot and cold, as a neck warmer, headband, sun protection, etc.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9371  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:39 AM
Matthew's Avatar
Matthew Matthew is offline
Be Happy!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Johns Creek, GA (Atlanta)
Posts: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You guys don't have this cylindrical scarf-replacement thingy that's super useful and that everyone (in Quebec at least) has as standard winter equipment?

Not sure how it's called in English. ("Neck-hider" in French.)

Lately, every time I've walked to a store, I keep my "hat" (that's the right word for a tuque?) and I just keep that cylindrical-scarf thing as a "mask", and so far all employees everywhere have accepted to consider it a mask.

(Too annoying to get the mask's handles behind the ears when you're already dressed with tuque and neck-hider over it!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
These things:
https://www.buff.com/

They’re Spanish apparently, but I’ve got a couple from Austria where everyone wears them skiing. But the point is they’re good in hot and cold, as a neck warmer, headband, sun protection, etc.
In the Southeast United States, we call these gaiters. Some places won't accept them as meeting their masking requirements. It's not really an issue in most of the southeast, where masking isn't required or enforced, unless you enter a city. Here in suburban Atlanta, it's rare to need a mask, but you will need one if you go into the city of Atlanta.
__________________
My Diagram
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9372  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:15 AM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,566
I guess there is no covid in suburban areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9373  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:00 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
In the Southeast United States, we call these gaiters. Some places won't accept them as meeting their masking requirements. It's not really an issue in most of the southeast, where masking isn't required or enforced, unless you enter a city. Here in suburban Atlanta, it's rare to need a mask, but you will need one if you go into the city of Atlanta.
I'm familiar with the name, but these are also a specific type that's really useful for this sort of thing because they're comfortable and not too warm. Totally different than the fleece ones you get at Patagonia or North Face or wherever.

It's what I used as a "mask" in Jackson Hole last winter (Teton County went crazy over Covid) and it was accepted.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9374  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:32 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,372
wrong thread
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9375  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:06 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 26,928
the covid death rate discussion has been moved to the covid thread in the CE toilet.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=241619
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9376  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:29 PM
eschaton eschaton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,544
COVID numbers are falling here, as they are across the U.S. now. We're back to averages from about December 28, so we're a little behind some other parts of the Northeast. Still a little over twice the number of cases as prior to the Omicron wave, though I would expect within another three weeks or so the local wave will be over.

Looking at national numbers, it seems the first metros to have a full recovery are Cleveland and Baltimore, with DC not far behind. Cuyahoga County is down to only 35 cases per 100,000, and still dropping! The actual case total there is much, much lower than the rolling average because of how quickly the numbers are going down (only 91 cases across a county of 1.3 million yesterday!). Cleveland was an early metro for Omicron, with the spike before Christmas. I'm going to continue watching the area, because I'm interested to see how low post-Omicron case counts can get.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9377  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:48 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 5,927
"Omicron 2: Electric Boogaloo."

I'm really sick of this movie franchise.

Watch, But Don't Worry Yet, About New Omicron Subvariant
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9378  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:37 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
COVID numbers are falling here, as they are across the U.S. now. We're back to averages from about December 28, so we're a little behind some other parts of the Northeast. Still a little over twice the number of cases as prior to the Omicron wave, though I would expect within another three weeks or so the local wave will be over.

Looking at national numbers, it seems the first metros to have a full recovery are Cleveland and Baltimore, with DC not far behind. Cuyahoga County is down to only 35 cases per 100,000, and still dropping! The actual case total there is much, much lower than the rolling average because of how quickly the numbers are going down (only 91 cases across a county of 1.3 million yesterday!). Cleveland was an early metro for Omicron, with the spike before Christmas. I'm going to continue watching the area, because I'm interested to see how low post-Omicron case counts can get.
That's really interesting. Cuyahoga County peaked before NYC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9379  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:53 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
video et taceo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,972
Denmark is lifting all restrictions on February 2.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9380  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:19 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Denmark is lifting all restrictions on February 2.
I thought they were pretty much open?

Or was it like the UK, where technically there were places where you were “required” to wear masks but if you just didn’t nobody said anything?
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.