HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 9:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Do most people even wear properly fitted N95 or KN95 masks?
Pretty much paranoid germaphobes.

An N95 is worn perhaps in a hospital Tuberculosis isolation room, or in pre-vaccine COVID society when you are examining patients within 6 inches of their open mouth (like I was for most of last year).

Anybody else who is doing so is just.........ugh it's so OCD-level silly that I have no words

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
You like wearing them? I sure as hell don't but how effective are they anyway? Do most people even wear properly fitted N95 or KN95 masks?
I don't mind them much. I usually only put mine on only for brief periods while in stores.

"Properly" fitting an N95 or KN95 is pretty easy. As you breathe in and out you should be able to tell if the air is escaping the mask and blowing past your cheeks (between the skin and the mask). Does the fabric of the mask suck in and out as you breathe? If so it's reasonably well-fitted.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Pretty much paranoid germaphobes.

An N95 is worn perhaps in a hospital Tuberculosis isolation room, or in pre-vaccine COVID society when you are examining patients within 6 inches of their open mouth (like I was for most of last year).

Anybody else who is doing so is just.........ugh it's so OCD-level silly that I have no words
More of your nonsense. According to the latest research the vaccines are about 88% effective. That leaves 12% of the time they are not effective and a good mask--the KN95 or N95 which can now be had online for under a dollar and reused many times in normal non-professional use--can make a significant incremental difference.

As for that 6 inch absurdity, every virologist will tell you that aerosols from unmasked people can virtually fill a small room.

But right now mask wearing is not entirely about protecting the wearer or even preventing those aerosols. It's also about making an incremental difference in viral prevalence and replication.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
^Are you sure you're a politician? Because you sound a lot more like a dentist than a politician

It sounds like Pedestrian has swallowed whole all the hysteria and fear-mongering he can
We both claim to be doctors--I'm an MD; not sure about UP's degree.

My CV includes several years doing cancer research at NIH and 26 years practicing primary care in the US Navy followed by 12 years practicing addiction medicine in San Francisco.

What you are calling "fear mongering and hysteria" is the consensus opinions and recommendations of nearly all virologists and epidemiologists in the developed world. That you personally reject these opinions and recommendations is on you, not those with some expertise on the subject.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
That's fine, but how many people even do that? I've never done that and I expect very few others do that either
Do what? I just put the mask on. Sometimes I have to adjust it a bit but, as I said, it's pretty easy to tell if the air is passing through the mask as you breathe because the mask material moves in and out somewhat.

You seem to want to make something simple to be complicated. Partly that's on my government's NIOSH for emphasizing mask "fit". In certain industrial settings that may be an issue but in the context we are talking about it's simple as I say. Just notice if you feel air moving between the mask and your skin and notice if the mask material moves in and out with breathing (if it doesn't, adjust the mask a bit until it does).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It is true about the N95's going down in price. I'm seeing some for $1.75 each. Pack of 50 for like $108.

Back in the day those things were gold. That and toilet paper.

People could of saved a lot of pain if they simply invested in one of those Japanese squirt toilets. No need for toilet paper. Save the rainforest type of deal.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK so I just did a quick check and none of the established religions in the world forbid or discourage their faithful from getting vaccinated.

So not sure why public authorities would open the door to this exemption when there is no apparent need for it.
I think its more on the extremist level. Like in Pakistan where some folks murder Polio vaccine workers.

Usually its the loony bins.

I think what should be concerning is not what's going on in the U.S. but what's going on in Africa. Ain't nobody talking about Africa. You have 1 billion+ people and only like 1% have been vaccinated. Delta is spreading very very fast, increasing the chance of some f'd up variant... that should be a concern... the logistics and availability of it all. In the end, we are all connected, so with respect to this pathogen, the world getting vaccinated is a much greater priority than some morons in Alabama who refuse to get vaccinated. They should but we will always have those type of folks in society. In a turn of events, Delta seems to be reducing those type of folks. The great education reformer.

Global vaccination is key.

As was with polio, smallpox, measles and others.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:13 PM
Ex Houstonian

If we have to go back to wearing idiotic masks there will never be an end to it. There is no vaccine to look forward to this time, theyll just say we have to wear masks from here on out. Completely and utterly idiotic.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
If we have to go back to wearing idiotic masks there will never be an end to it. There is no vaccine to look forward to this time, they'll just say we have to wear masks from here on out. Completely and utterly idiotic.
There will be an end to it. If we conquered smallpox and mostly measles for the most part, we will with this.

What will happen is that Governments have to grow some balls and either force vaccines or make daily life so restrictive without vaccine proof.

And the FDA needs to hurry their red-tape self and fully approve this thing. Than launch a massive global propaganda campaign to get the sheep vaccinated. With restrictions to force those that refuse to eventually get it.

So long as we can achieve herd immunity, there will be that % that never will get it but that's what nature is good for. Eliminating or just getting herd immunity amongst the stubborn. Either way... they will get it.

And be positive. I'd imagine some sort of meds will come out, non shots, to manage endemic sars-2-cov or its derivatives.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:40 PM
The City

This pandemic is a case study in changing goalposts. Amazing.

Our society has lost its mind

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:03 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
There will be an end to it. If we conquered smallpox and mostly measles for the most part, we will with this.

What will happen is that Governments have to grow some balls and either force vaccines or make daily life so restrictive without vaccine proof.
You’re missing the point that society didn’t lose its collective mind over Measles like we are over Covid. I mean, look at Covid death rates right now. They are as low as could be, even with the Delta variant, nationwide.

Nobody is bothering to look at this

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:09 AM
Ex Houstonian

Exactly, the death rate is so small and always has been, the collective flip out of this not very deadly virus is and was out of control. If it had the fatality rate of the Spanish flu and was killing all age groups equally, then the shut downs and idiocy would have been and would be warranted.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:09 AM
The City

Here’s your “scary” Delta variant

Just like in the UK, here are US cases:

Here are US deaths:

With barely over half the nation vaccinated, and a majority of the most vulnerable vaccinated, this is what you get. This is the goddamn Flu at this point. Stop the lies, stop the fear mongering.

Let the Howards hide in their basements.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:13 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You’re missing the point that society didn’t lose its collective mind over Measles like we are over Covid. I mean, look at Covid death rates right now. They are as low as could be, even with the Delta variant, nationwide.

Nobody is bothering to look at this
The 7 day rolling average for deaths reached a low of 228 on July 7. It's 365 today. I'll do the math for you. That's a 60% increase in less than a month. The daily total today is 458. It's not hard to see the direction we're headed in again.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:26 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
The 7 day rolling average for deaths reached a low of 228 on July 7. It's 365 today. I'll do the math for you. That's a 60% increase in less than a month. The daily total today is 458. It's not hard to see the direction we're headed in again.
Oh noes! A nation of 360 million and now 365 people are dying a day, verses 250 last week. Oh noes!!!!!! The sky is falling. Do something! Lock it down!!! Lock it down!!!!!! The vaccine isn’t working!

I’ve got news for ya:

People die of infections
They died before 2020
They will die in 2022 and onward
When will you allow this to end?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:36 AM
The City

To the “Covid forever” crowd: UK data

Let me guess,

“Just wait man, it’s coming! It’s coming! It’s going to keep rising to kill us all!”

Here’s the UK, which is ahead of the US and has similar vaccination rates:

What excuse do our resident fearmongers have now? Let me guess: The mutants are coming! Just give it more time

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

Roughly 8000 people die every single day in America, and most of those who die from covid overall are very elderly or already sick.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:20 AM
The City

^ And overwhelmingly unvaccinated.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 2:05 AM

Most deaths are also concentrated in a few low vaccinated states like mine. Louisiana reported 59 deaths today or 12.9% of the deaths nationally. High vaccinated states likely have little to worry about, and it is unlikely we will see the number of deaths that occurred back in the winter.

Delta is burning through the unvaxxed at a high rate down here in Louisiana , and we are likely nearing the peak as percent positive rates have started to plateau. https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/sta...599523849?s=20

Unfortunately, hospitals are full of unvaxxed COVID patients in the state. The statewide mask mandate was too little too late, and will likely have minimal impact as the unvaxxed are also usually anti-mask and as stated it appears we are peaking right now in terms of infection.

I say that the vaccinated should take priority over those who willfully spit in the face of science. I have absolute disdain for anyone unvaxxed without a valid excuse at this point.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Roughly 8000 people die every single day in America, and most of those who die from covid overall are very elderly or already sick.
So? They're already sick or old so it's OK if they die a year or 10 years sooner than they would have? People like to toss around the word "fascism" here. Euthanizing the old, the deformed, the disabled and so on is precisely what certain fascist regimes did. We claimed to have been better than that and we should be. A premature death is a premature death.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions