HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 6:32 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Are there any hints that once construction is over at the apartment tower that they will begin work on the next two towers? I'm going to hate it if they begin to lay down asphalt for the parking lot and install landscaping.
There will be a community meeting prior to each new phase.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 12:52 PM
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,657
Since the West Tower sales center is now up, I imagine they're going to try to fill the building before beginning phase II.


Rendering by Crains

Also of note- "Renderings of the two future Wolf Point buildings that surfaced on the Internet over the summer depict a sleek tapering spire on the middle, tallest building, but Hines representatives say the renderings were not accurate or final. They won't comment on what Wolf Point will look like" :/ I love the south tower design.
Per Crains.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 1:09 AM
go go white sox go go white sox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 160
I wonder how long until we get something on the real gem of this project Wolf point south tower.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 6, 2016 at 4:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:20 PM
Pilton Pilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by go go white sox View Post
I wonder how long until we get something on the real gem of this project Wolf point south tower.

WPS? Depends on demand for office and high price condos.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-office-towers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:00 PM
maru2501's Avatar
maru2501 maru2501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,661
at least they haven't turned the rest of the site into a parking lot just yet
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 7:04 PM
VKChaz VKChaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: California
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
at least they haven't turned the rest of the site into a parking lot just yet
Does anyone know what the interim plan is?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:49 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,244
Well at least the article said the vacancy rate for office space at least is at an all time low since 2008. If it's a mixed used tower which I think it is that means Wolf point South still probably has a chance at getting built I assume.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:07 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,827
I wouldn't be surprised if the South tower is changed from office to condos and a hotel. I don't see an office tower being built there for awhile given the current market conditions. Not unless they can pull someone big from the suburbs or out of town. Condos on the other hand... that location is pretty prime.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:49 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the South tower is changed from office to condos and a hotel. I don't see an office tower being built there for awhile given the current market conditions. Not unless they can pull someone big from the suburbs or out of town. Condos on the other hand... that location is pretty prime.
Well, maybe a little office space and have the rest be a hotel or condos. Although I do hope if it's all hotel/condos that it remains 1000+. This is such a perfect location for a supertall that it would be a damn shame if the other towers fell through.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:03 AM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the South tower is changed from office to condos and a hotel. I don't see an office tower being built there for awhile given the current market conditions. Not unless they can pull someone big from the suburbs or out of town. Condos on the other hand... that location is pretty prime.
I don't think it was ever an announcement that the south tower would be office to begin with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 10:08 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I don't think it was ever an announcement that the south tower would be office to begin with.
From what I heard it would be mixed use which would mean office + other stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:59 AM
The Lurker The Lurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
From what I heard it would be mixed use which would mean office + other stuff
Not necessarily. Mixed use could easily and actually more likely mean residential + hotel. office space usually plays alone
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 1:02 AM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hinsdale / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,882
Whoever buys in the West tower can reasonably assume their East view is going to be blocked sooner than later?
__________________
1. 111 W 57 - Manhattan, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
2. The Smith Center - Las Vegas, Nevada - David M. Schwarz Architects - Photo
3. One Chicago Square - Chicago - HPA and Goettsch Partners - Photo
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 1:13 AM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,601
^ The west tower is rental, no?
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:18 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,850
I think a more likely scenario is launching the East Tower as condos first before the South Tower. Then Hines could wait for the next market cycle to launch office leasing for the South Tower. The location is near irresistible for office tenants, there just aren't many large tenants looking for space at top rates right now.

That said, I'm not sure offhand if it's practical to build the South Tower after the East is completed. Seems pretty difficult from a construction standpoint, but I'm sure they could stage from the lower level somehow, or from a barge if they had to.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 4:15 PM
J_M_Tungsten's Avatar
J_M_Tungsten J_M_Tungsten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,379
From a construction standpoint, wouldn't building both at the same time be best? Wishful thinking though
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:47 PM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think a more likely scenario is launching the East Tower as condos first before the South Tower. Then Hines could wait for the next market cycle to launch office leasing for the South Tower. The location is near irresistible for office tenants, there just aren't many large tenants looking for space at top rates right now.

That said, I'm not sure offhand if it's practical to build the South Tower after the East is completed. Seems pretty difficult from a construction standpoint, but I'm sure they could stage from the lower level somehow, or from a barge if they had to.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. More likely than what? The programming for the east and west towers haven't been announced. We do know that there will be a hotel, office and residential component to the rest of the development. The most logical arrangement of those components based on what usually gets built in Chicago would be that the south tower would be hotel and condo while the east tower would be office.

I say that because generally speaking as someone pointed out above office stands alone. But also notice that the east tower is the general size of just about every office tower proposal we've had the past few years and that usually when a developer combines hotel and condo they go for height and use some of the hotel services for the residences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
From a construction standpoint, wouldn't building both at the same time be best? Wishful thinking though
Good question. I don't know but I would think it's probably better to build the south tower first and then the east tower for logistical reasons. It makes sense to use the footprint of the east tower for staging materials for the south tower. Then with the east tower you would have to use the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:48 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,398
The floorplates of the South Tower make no sense for office especially compared to the East Tower. This is Hines we are talking about. Does anyone really think they are going to hold a board meeting where everyone will sit down and say:

"Let's take the building that is 750' tall with 50,000 SF floorplates and make that condos. Then we can take the 1000' tall building with 30,000 SF floorplates and make it office. That way the office building can have a loss ratio of 20 or 25 % and the condos will be a tube with a little window at the end."

The developer is looking for the highest and best use for each program given the set parameters of the PD. They are not going to build them in a less profitable use let alone select and less profitable use for both buildings simply because office tenants would think 800' views were cool. The location of the South Tower is also less desirable than the East Tower because it is significantly less visible and accessible than the East Tower which you view it from a leasing perspective.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 10:43 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The floorplates of the South Tower make no sense for office especially compared to the East Tower. This is Hines we are talking about. Does anyone really think they are going to hold a board meeting where everyone will sit down and say:

"Let's take the building that is 750' tall with 50,000 SF floorplates and make that condos. Then we can take the 1000' tall building with 30,000 SF floorplates and make it office. That way the office building can have a loss ratio of 20 or 25 % and the condos will be a tube with a little window at the end."

The developer is looking for the highest and best use for each program given the set parameters of the PD. They are not going to build them in a less profitable use let alone select and less profitable use for both buildings simply because office tenants would think 800' views were cool. The location of the South Tower is also less desirable than the East Tower because it is significantly less visible and accessible than the East Tower which you view it from a leasing perspective.
Weren't the designs largely just rough outlines though? I was under the impression that the height and design (thus floorplate) for the South and East tower were not finalized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 3:10 PM
pilsenarch pilsenarch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 877
^Let's hope the designs aren't finalized...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.