HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 12:44 PM
The City

I have a better idea: STOP testing people. Except for the severely ill

Common sense....what a precious but rare commodity....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I have a better idea: STOP testing people. Except for the severely ill

Common sense....what a precious but rare commodity....
A little birdie told me that’s what this country will do next March. Managing Covid will shift to the HSA (Health Security Agency) which is responsible for flu, etc. It will literally be treated as another kind of flu, and they will keep track of cases and deaths (as they do for flu) but there will be no rules, testing or isolation requirements.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:15 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Back in October Covid deaths passed deaths from HIV/AIDS to become America's deadliest pandemic. In less that 2 years more people in this country have died from Covid than in over 40 years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. As of December we surpassed 800,000 deaths.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:19 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
A little birdie told me that’s what this country will do next March. Managing Covid will shift to the HSA (Health Security Agency) which is responsible for flu, etc. It will literally be treated as another kind of flu, and they will keep track of cases and deaths (as they do for flu) but there will be no rules, testing or isolation requirements.
did the little bird, let's name him larpy, what do you say? did little larpy tweet anything to you about reparations for the people you made sick or killed from no masking?

such a great time to be a lawyer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 10:24 PM

^ I’m sure you’re not a lawyer, because you sound like an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Back in October Covid deaths passed deaths from HIV/AIDS to become America's deadliest pandemic. In less that 2 years more people in this country have died from Covid than in over 40 years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. As of December we surpassed 800,000 deaths.
I’m not convinced it has actually killed more than Spanish flu. The estimates for that are 500k to 850k with most around 700k, but they didn’t have PCR tests and weren’t attributing every death of a person with a positive test in preceding weeks to the flu virus. The US population at the time was also less than a third of what it is now, so mortality rates were actually multiples higher than Covid. And most everyone was susceptible, rather than just the very old or otherwise ill.

But sure, keep pretending this is Armageddon.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 10:42 PM

10023 - what is the situation in London? We are still planning on going but if we have to quarantine for 2 days upon arrival waiting for test results we not sure it is worth it. Do you know if we can get the test at the Heathrow?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I’m not convinced it has actually killed more than Spanish flu. The estimates for that are 500k to 850k with most around 700k, but they didn’t have PCR tests and weren’t attributing every death of a person with a positive test in preceding weeks to the flu virus. The US population at the time was also less than a third of what it is now, so mortality rates were actually multiples higher than Covid. And most everyone was susceptible, rather than just the very old or otherwise ill.

For someone who is so adamant that people need to go out and live their lives you sure spend an inordinate amount of your time arguing with people on the internet about it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:

The official COVID death toll is significantly under counted.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Biden is banning travel to the US from South Africa and some other African nations... but why isn't he banning travel from the UK and Belgium, where this variant has also been detected?
I was just in South Africa and it was a royal pain in the ass to get back to the US. Completely ridiculous and knee jerk reaction.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I was just in South Africa and it was a royal pain in the ass to get back to the US. Completely ridiculous and knee jerk reaction.
Welcome to the club..... That was my impression as well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The official COVID death toll is significantly under counted.
Sure it is.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
10023 - what is the situation in London? We are still planning on going but if we have to quarantine for 2 days upon arrival waiting for test results we not sure it is worth it. Do you know if we can get the test at the Heathrow?
I’m not sure, there might be. I’m going to the US next week and am planning to just ignore the quarantine when I get back. They don’t have the resources to follow up.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 11:59 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:

I am just posting statistics I find interesting. I never said anything about Armageddon, LOL. You're so dramatic. I am aware of all your points including the fact the population was about 1/3 what it is now. I am also aware that back then healthcare was abysmal, there were no ventilators, and many of the sick died from secondary bacterial infections. Regardless, this is now the deadliest pandemic here in the US and the numbers will continue to climb because dumb people choose not to get vaccinated.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I’m not sure, there might be. I’m going to the US next week and am planning to just ignore the quarantine when I get back. They don’t have the resources to follow up.
Forwarding this message to MI6.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:19 AM
The City

Covid basically just being used as an excuse to shirk certain obligations and responsibilities at this point. Just keep name dropping “Covid concerns” and you can do (or not do) whatever you want.

“Our hotel no longer offers service X due to ‘Covid concerns’”

“We used to provide this service but, due to ‘Covid concerns’, we do so no longer”

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 9:44 AM

Quote:
I am just posting statistics I find interesting. I never said anything about Armageddon, LOL. You're so dramatic. I am aware of all your points including the fact the population was about 1/3 what it is now. I am also aware that back then healthcare was abysmal, there were no ventilators, and many of the sick died from secondary bacterial infections. Regardless, this is now the deadliest pandemic here in the US and the numbers will continue to climb because dumb people choose not to get vaccinated.
Ventilators are of questionable utility, and many (if not most) Covid deaths were also due to secondary bacterial infections.

Anyway, it’s not the “deadliest” in any sense other than the nominal tally (which is now over 2 full years). The percentage of people vulnerable, the percentage of cases that lead to death, etc are all very low. Most people have never been at any risk whatsoever.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 11:17 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Forwarding this message to MI6.
I already forwarded it.

10023 should be getting ‘visited’ by some agents soon

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
All i read here is that the AIDs situation in America was never really that serious for most Americans.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:38 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
All i read here is that the AIDs situation in America was never really that serious for most Americans.
Sure. Yet whether or not it was serious for most Americans or not it was previously the most deadly until now. Then again if we didn't treat each new strain of the flu as new statistics I suppose the flu by far is most deadly. Time will tell in a few years if on a annual basis more people die from the flu or covid. Apparently this new strain is less severe and more contagious, which sounds pretty promising at making it less deadly.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Then again if we didn't treat each new strain of the flu as new statistics I suppose the flu by far is most deadly.
The accounting of covid deaths is different from the historical approach to influenza. In the past if somebody got seriously ill and showed up in the hospital they might have an influenza test. If they randomly got mildly ill or their friend was sick chances were low that they would be tested for influenza. These days there's mass screening for covid and if somebody dies after a positive test their death is typically considered a covid death. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with this if the context is understood but these counts aren't all comparable.

If somebody invented a clinically harmless virus that was good at replicating and we applied the covid standard to it, it would be implicated in a lot of deaths.

It's a tricky subject because on the one hand you've got people arguing covid did not cause significant excess mortality in say the United States (it did, far beyond a bad flu season), but then other people who seem to want to over-estimate the impact.

Then there is the reality of immune senescence and the fact that many people ultimately die from some pathogen, so a death of a frail 92 year old is not really the same as a healthy 20 year old dying. This is a political third rail so it gets ignored. Likewise statistics tend to mix in deaths of people with severe comorbidities with healthy people, like healthy 5-11 year olds with 5-11 year olds who are morbidly obese with diabetes or dying of cancer. This screws up the risk calculus for everybody (exaggerates for healthy people, underexaggerates for at-risk).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions