HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 6:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I guess Hamilton's curtailing of future sprawl will only serve to further increase the price of such lovely houses in nearby Welland. The above house is listed for $1 million. In Welland.

What a steal.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:51 PM
Never Dell

Kids, be sure to leave some of your crap strewn around the house, so we know which one is ours.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Kids, be sure to leave some of your crap strewn around the house, so we know which one is ours.
Good one lol

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 9:09 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
You don't really need kids for that.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Just a little context:

Los Angeles - 502 Sq miles Pop 4 mil
New York - 302 Sq miles Pop 8.4 mil
Chicago - 234 Sq miles Pop 2.7 mil
Phoenix - 519 Sq miles Pop 1.6 mil
Toronto - 243 Sq miles Pop 2.9 mil
Mississauga - 112 Sq miles Pop 781,000
Hamilton's urbanized area is far smaller than 439 square miles.

A quick measure shows the urbanized area of Hamilton being about 88 square miles once you include the towns of Waterdown and Binbrook. The remainder of the city is rural area.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Hamilton is majorly expanding its transit system. Both building an LRT line and increasing the bus fleet by at least 50%. GO is also improving regional transit around the Hamilton area, which is useful due to all the longer range commuting in the area. It’s turning things around.
Don't get me wrong, I like what Hamilton is doing now. They have right attitude and the right policies now. But it is an uphill battle now because of their past mistakes, even recently.

For example, the Lincoln M Alexander Parkway, replacing a concession road with a freeway, removing a potential transit corridor from the Hamilton Street Railway system. That is not the way suburbs have been built for decades. Compare that to Brampton building Williams Parkway and Sandalwood Parkway, Mississauga building Glen Erin Dr. and Bristol Rd., Markham building Bur Oak Ave.: building new corridors from scratch in-between existing concession roads for new transit routes, to reduce the walking distances to bus stops, that is one of the principles of TOD. Hamilton did the complete opposite of TOD with what they did to Limeridge Road, and the lack of a Limeridge transit corridor will always be an additional barrier to achieving high transit ridership in Hamilton.

This is a real city with a huge and vibrant core, but since the 90s, Hamilton might have been more deliberately pro-sprawl and pro-car and anti-urban than any other place in North America, certainly more than any other place in Ontario. Even after 2003, after the removal of the Conservatives and the election of the Liberals and Dalton McGuinty and introduction of new provincial funding for transit, the ridership of Hamilton Street Railway continued to stagnate, while transit ridership in the rest of the province started to grow. It has baffled me how little attention or criticism that Hamilton's blatant pro-sprawl policies have gotten over the years, and now people suddenly hold Hamilton up as the leader in terms of stopping sprawl, even creating a thread for it?

Hamilton was THE one place still stuck in the 50s while other places in North America were implementing TOD measures and new urbanism everywhere. For New Urbanism especially, Oakville and Markham are certainly the leaders here. But even the continuous greenspace along Ajax's waterfront stands in stark contrast to Hamilton's new expressway along Red Hill Creek. Hamilton is no leader, they are the one who is still catching up.

Code:
ANNUAL RIDERSHIP (linked trips, millions)

System      2005  2012  2019

Hamilton    20.9  21.8  21.7
Mississauga 28.1  34.8  41.2
Brampton     9.0  18.4  31.9
London      18.3  23.5  24.6
Winnipeg    39.9  48.9  48.8

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 12:14 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Buffalo is only bigger in terms of metro area population by about 100k
wrong.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Great news for Hamilton to be focusing on intensification in already built up areas like downtown. Anyone familiar with the area knows the sprawl was getting bad (Binbrook, Waterdown anyone?).
Binbrook is Hamilton for people who don't want to admit they are part of Hamilton. I have relatives there (wife's side) and some of the attitudes there of people really astounds me. Crazy house prices I gather to live 10 + Km from anything else and to have no public transit at all. I think they had some sort of vote to allow for some form of public transit that would connect to the system in Stoney Creek and they rejected it. Have fun being taxis for your kids, parents of Binbrook. They complain about the traffic going towards Stoney Creek but have no awareness that they are part of the problem.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like what Hamilton is doing now. They have right attitude and the right policies now. But it is an uphill battle now because of their past mistakes, even recently.

[/code]
How are you defining recently? Both of the urban highways have been complete for years (decades?) and have development all around them. The Linc especially is getting closer to being the centre of "the Mountain" rather than the edge of it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
How are you defining recently? Both of the urban highways have been complete for years (decades?) and have development all around them. The Linc especially is getting closer to being the centre of "the Mountain" rather than the edge of it.

New municipal freeways in the 90s and 00s, decades after the Gardiner and Don Valley Expressways, and the continued and still ongoing underfunding of Hamilton Street Railway even after new provincial funding for transit by the Dalton McGuinty government starting in 2003 doesn't count as recent? Look at that chart of transit ridership from 2005 to 2019, compare the stagnation of Hamilton Street Railway to the expansion of transit in the other cities. Is that not recent?

I'm just arguing that Hamilton's policies in the past three decades are contrary to the way the Greater Toronto Area has been building new subdivisions and new transit during that same time period, contrary to the concept of TOD, and already shaped and reshaped Hamilton and its transit network and will hamper any of the city's anti-sprawl efforts to come. Hamilton has been behind the rest of the country, and it still is behind the rest of the country, especially behind the Greater Toronto Area, and so holding the City of Hamilton up as THE model city for fighting sprawl that the municipalities of the Greater Toronto Area should follow is just stupid. You want to argue semantics instead? Sorry, I'm not interested.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions